• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I Fostered a Bun!

Beapig

Mama Doe
So this was a bit last minute/spur of the moment...

Today I helped a lady local to me, catch a stray bunny that has been living in her garden this past week. She's a very pretty bun, and absolutely terrified of people, poor thing. She will be with me for just a couple of days before she goes to a rescue. I'm pretty sure she is a she, due to her large dewlap.

I'm being very strict with myself not to get attached to her :lol:

We're keeping her safe indoors in a pen with plenty of food, water, a litter tray and a hide. Any tips on how to make her feel safe? She has eaten a bit and her body score doesn't seem too bad, considering she's been living wild. A red mite did fall off of her when she got out of the carrier :shock:. I'm being sure to wash my hands well between handling her and my other rabbits (they are all jabbed, but you can never be too careful). I'll have to upload a pic as she is stunning.

So this was a bit last minute/spur of the moment...

Today I helped a lady local to me, catch a stray bunny that has been living in her garden this past week. She's a very pretty bun, and absolutely terrified of people, poor thing. She will be with me for just a couple of days before she goes to a rescue. I'm pretty sure she is a she, due to her large dewlap.

I'm being very strict with myself not to get attached to her :lol:

We're keeping her safe indoors in a pen with plenty of food, water, a litter tray and a hide. Any tips on how to make her feel safe? She has eaten a bit and her body score doesn't seem too bad, considering she's been living wild. A red mite did fall off of her when she got out of the carrier :shock:. I'm being sure to wash my hands well between handling her and my other rabbits (they are all jabbed, but you can never be too careful). I'll have to upload a pic as she is stunning.

How lovely :) As long as you can establish that she is eating and pooing OK, I'd leave her alone and watch her from afar I think.

Aw Bless her! Now, if I remember rightly, Red Mites are very bad for Bunnies, they catch them from poultry I believe and can make a Rabbit very poorly. There was an article on it in an old Rabbiting On magazine and it has alwasy stuck in my mind how ill the Rabbit was and it took months to get her better. I hope she goes on to have a happy life.

This is her! I've named her Blue :love: She's really nervous so hasn't left her box from what I've seen, but she has plenty of forage and hay which I keep topping up. She's going to Wind Whistle Warren tomorrow morning. If I didn't have a poorly elder-bun to worry about then I might be very tempted to keep her, but I'm being super strict with myself :lol: I know that WWW will make sure she goes to an amazing new home.

20221001_154134 by Rachel Brown, on Flickr

20221001_205050 by Rachel Brown, on Flickr

20221001_171239 by Rachel Brown, on Flickr

She is lovely, and looks in pretty good condition. :love:

She is really sweet. When I picked her up she felt like she has a good amount of fat on her too, not a poor body score by any means. Quite a big dewlap on her, so probably not spayed.

She's so pretty! So glad you were able to rescue her, I hope she finds a good home! She looks very relaxed in her litter tray.

What a pretty bun she is! :love: And it's so good of you to rescue and foster her, Beapig! It must be hard not to get attached... I know I'd struggle with it, at least! I hope Blue will find a lovely home. :love:

I am sure that Alice will find her a lovely Forever Home once she is ready. I expect she’ll be on Pregnancy watch for a while given that she is a stray x

Oh what a beautiful home, I really hope that she that she finds the forever home that she deserves.

Thanks everyone! She left this morning and should be safe with WWW by now. I'm going to miss her, she was lovely, but I know she's in safe hands now :love:

Back