• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I dont know whether to scream or cry

Its so sad to think about it both both my old rabbit and cat were given to the vets to dispose of their bodies. I couldn't put my animals in the bin and don't like the thought of burying them in the garden in case another animal dug them up. :cry:

I used to bury them but I've lost so many over time that theres no space left, its hard enough planting flowers in the spring without digging someone up :(

I now have them all cremated and they sit on a shelf in my room :love:

All our animals have been buried in the garden, along with their favourite blanket/toy etc. And all the bunnies we have lost were put on a bed of hay in boxes and then buried. I couldn't put them in the bin, i would have nightmares :cry:

Even some of our huge tropical fish have been buried :shock::oops:

ill proberly sound heartless aswell saying this but i buried 4 of mine and they all got dug up by the fox. now we have a big steel drum and we now burn them get the ashes and springle it over the garden, i dont like the idea of doing it at a crematorium because theres no garentee wat ashes your getting back is your pets! :? :cry:

ill proberly sound heartless aswell saying this but i buried 4 of mine and they all got dug up by the fox. now we have a big steel drum and we now burn them get the ashes and springle it over the garden, i dont like the idea of doing it at a crematorium because theres no garentee wat ashes your getting back is your pets! :? :cry:

There is if you have an individual cremation

i dont ask for ashes back i normally get a card sent through the door saying you belovered pet *pets name* has been cremated..... blah blah blah so i keep those cards in a special place. i actually have a phobia of burying animals :oops: because i dont like the thought of their beautiful bodies going moldy :oops: im strange i know :oops:

All of the pets we've lost in the last 22 years are in our garden - 3 dogs, 5 rabbits, 4 piggies. hamster, budgie, fish...

It's one of the reasons why we've never moved house - can't bear to leave them all behind:oops:

Ours are all buried in my mums garden, so they can all be together again at the bridge. When one of my beloved dies I always go to church the nearest sunday to their passing and get a cross,say a prayer,light a candle. Come home and place the cross on the ground. :cry:
Sad I know but it helps. x

actually I told a lie, I just realised that the dead tropical fish I had went down the toilet........but my thought process was along the lines of burial at sea.

My friend had her german shepard buried in two sheepskins so that if she ever moved she will dig her up and take her with her.
would completly freak me out!

sorry but im scypticle unless i see them being cremated i dont trust it, they could give you any old ashes and you would be none the wiser.:?

You can stay and watch the body through the entire process if you wish to at most pet crematoriums.

You can stay and watch the body through the entire process if you wish to at most pet crematoriums.
i didnt know that but if you can do that and it wasnt an extorsion amount of money id do that, but i do it myself for free so ill carry on my way any way i think

This is where I have to confess...:oops:
When my guinea pig died it was the middle of winter, the ground was frozen solid and I was off work with a chest infection which had made my asthma really bad, and as I lived on my own, miles from any friends or family I had to put him in the wheelie bin.
The other one is even worse though, I had two rabbits, Smudge and Dusty and Dusty got a chest infection and died (20 minutes after I got back from the vets with him!). At the time I'd split up with my other half but was still living in the house with him, but was due to complete on my new house 10 days later. Therefore, I didn't want to bury her at my ex's house, but wanted to bury her at my new home (25 miles away). My ex had the bright idea of arranging for the vets to freeze her body so that when I moved I could bury her at my new home. Well, the completion date got put back my about 6 weeks, and I never actually got round to collecting her...that was 6 years ago:oops: All pets since then have been buried and had plants put on top of them.

I've had all my pets individually cremated apart from 2 rabbits I've buried. I dont think I'd bother with individual cremation again though, as after a few years I tend to open up the casks and scatter the ashes in the garden, as I dont want rows and rows of casks on the shelves!

As for putting in the wheelie bin, well I've put dead wild mice and birds in their that the cats have brought home, but wouldnt put my pets in their as they'll probably get dug up and eaten at the dump/land fill, which I suppose is a form of recycling...... I think cremation is far more hygenic for pets and people. I do agree though, that when youre dead, its just an empty shell, and when I die I'll be happy with a basic burn and scatter.

I think it's down to the way individuals feel about death, to be honest, along with obviously practical difficulties. I have numerous mice buried in my tiny garden, and one guinea pig. We have said that when we lose any more pigs or bunnies, we will get them cremated though.

All mine are buried in my garden. I like the idea of them going back to the earth, back into nature I suppose.

When Jake, my 14 year old rabbit died his brother pined for him and died 3 months later of a broken heart. My dad said "Would you like me to bury him next to Choc? " and I said yes. I loved the idea of them together again.

It may all be pointless as yes when you are dead you're dead and just an "empty shell" but I think its more to do with helping you greive for them. It would haunt me if I thought any of my pets were left dumped in a bin. Like Donna said its about respecting them one last time.

We have Always (wheter pts or not) had our pets in our garden. Only 2 pets, our german shepard and collie who were pts were left at the vets, but thats because we were in pieces and couldnt expect my dad to load there bodies back into the car then spend the night digging the garden. Our whole garden is a cemetery now, we just can't leave there bodies at the vets. They are our family members!!! we have nearly 20 rabbits, a dog, a cat, birds, loads of rodents, you name it, its in our garden. We are running out of places to bury now.

All our small animals and reptiles that have passed on or had to be pts have been buried in our garden. We had to be careful when we buried Skid recently incase we exumed any remains, we must have over 30 animals buried in our garden from the 20 years my mum's lived there. The fish get flushed down the loo as my mum says water is their natural home so they wouldn't want to rest in the ground. And my dog Tess was cremated and her ashes scattered on a hill where we took her for walks, she was too big to bury in the garden.
I'd never throw a dead pet in the bin though, that's horrible, plus I'd hate some poor bin man to come across an animal's corpse.

Back