• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I don't know what to do :(

If you were my child I'd be proud of you for being so responsible towards your pet!

I know you're only 14 but why not look for a paper round so you can earn your own money, and then spend it on whatever you like.

You could ask you mum if she would like to join the forum? I am sure that once she realises the wonderful relationship that can be built between a rabbit and his people then she will see why you are so keen. It is hard to imagine a bunny being as friendly and playful as a cat, or come to a call like a dog unless you have the space and opportunity to do so. She could watch some of the many videos people have on here. In fact we could probably create a thread of some to make it easier for her to view?

The people who originally had Geoffrey Rabbit, were going to kill him because they didn't want him any more, then the lady who took him on wanted to rehome him because the daughter didn't want him any more. Then he came here and has space and opportunity to really be a bunny and I wouldn't part with him for the world:love:
I can call him back when he sneaks out into the veg garden and he has a better recall than my dogs:lol::lol:

I could see about getting a paper round, but I think they are really hard to get because they're like one of the only jobs people my age can get. There aren't any jobs going at the moment (my friend has got a paper round), and I think there is a waiting list as well.

I would love to see Freddy as confident and responsive as the rabbits on here :love: But like you say, it's hard to get him to be like that with the space he has. He's in my room at the moment, and he is streched out in the big carboard box. He still looks quite alert, but don't rabbits only do that when they feel comfortable?

I've just groomed him, and so much fluff has come out! I think most of his white/cream winter coat has come out now, he is looking mostly grey :D

I don't think my mum would want to join the forum. I'm a member of the RWAF, and I've got a booklet that came with it about how to care for rabbits, and three magazines so I could ask her to read. I'm not sure how to ask her to though, without getting into an argument about Fred:?

Do you know any good websites where there are sheds/playhouses that aren't too much money? And is it best for Freddy to have more run space or shelter space?

Poor Freddy - glad he's got you to look after him.

Would your mum consider signing up on here? It might help if she can ask some questions and learn about some of our old buns! Giant bunnies tend to live shorter lifes - have never heard this about dwarfs, so I would assume that Freddy will live till 12 when making any decisions. Also, as others have said, if your mum is worried about you wasting money - you can sell hutches and runs on after freddy has passed on if you won't get another rabbit.

Another alternative is going to a rescue where you could just spend the day with bunnies, and she (and you!) could learn a bit more about their needs?

I can understand that in your mum's eyes, that Freddy has better accomodation than many rabbits, - have you figured out how many square feet he has? You could work out exactly how much more space you need to meet the rabbit welfare and rspca's recommendations - space IS a welfare issue, and it's harder to argue with the RSPCAs recommendations than with a bunch of internet bunny mad people on the internet.

To get my enclosure (which i have just spent about £400 on... whoops!) i sold a lot of stuff on ebay, I had a flute, lots of books and clothes and electric equipment and managed to raise all the money that way- we are not rich!

Some puppy play pen panels might be a good idea - so they can be folded away, so your mum doesn't feel like Freddy is taking over the garden, then you could sit with him in the run and let him have a good hop around.

Yay :D I'll ask my mum really nicely if I can get it!

Do you think it would be good to put a shelf in or is it too small for that? It would be great to be able to sit in there with him :love:

Also, when he nudges me, is that good? :wave:

I think it's great you're trying to improve Freddy's accommodation :D Its the giants that usually don't live very long, usually the smaller the rabbit the longer they're likely to live, so your mom isn't right about dwarfs not living long. Of course it doesn't always work this way, usually because of illness than old age, but I've heard of many rabbits that are 10+, even some that are teenagers! But even if he does only live another 2 years, that's still a really long time.

I know of a budgie which reportedly lived until it was 21 - the average age is 3 to 4.

That's only the average age with horrible owners who don't care for them properly. Liver disease is very common in parrots due to a bad diet of just seeds but even budgies that die of liver disease usually die at 6+ years, not 3-4... I can only imagine that budgies that only live 3-4 years are horribly neglected and must die from no food/water... they're pretty hardy parrots if cared for properly. The average age of a budgie is more like 12-15 years, at least.

Is this is? :D
http://www.diy.com/nav/garden/garden-buildings/playhouses/Playhut-Playhouse-11987683

If I could manage to get that, and attach it to the run, would that be ok for Freddy? I'll try and save up for a bigger run over the next few months though.

That's the one, I had great fun painting it, and there is room for a shelf in it so you can really make the most of the space for him:thumb:

I think you would be thrilled to bits with is, and Fred would love it to.
Also can you give him a teddy bear?
My single girle loves grooming her teddy, and when she finds her new home I am going to send it with her:love:

him nudging you is probably him asking to be 'groomed' so when he does it give him lots of nose rubs and strokes. I think he is already coming out of his shell since you first started posting about him, you really do deserve a medal for being a good bunny mummy:thumb::thumb:

Also if your mum is worried about him not living much longer, tell her you will sell on the playhouse afterwards to get the money back. I love it, you could even make window boxes and paint it and stuff, it would look gorgeous.

I'm not allowed to get it :cry: Mum said it would block the light through the window (the window that's above where the hutch is now), so then I said we could swap the run and the hutch around so the run is under the window instead, but apparently the shed would be an "eyesore" and we don't know how long we're going to be living in this house for and the shed could put people off :?

The shed would be perfect, I just don't know what to do now. :(There's so little space in the garden, so I can't get anything huge.

I'm glad he's feeling more comfortable around me, when he's in my room he really perks up but my mum doesn't like him being up there to long because apparently it stresses him out :roll:

Aww sweetie, I've been in this same situation before, I can understand how frustrating it is :( I'm not sure what to suggest next, but I'm sure lots of people on here will have lots of ideas! Freddie sounds like he really relaxes around you! He sounds like a lovely bun! :love:

I honestly don't know how you've got this far without raging! Well done girl! I know it's hard :( but you having him in your room is great and he obviously enjoys it :love: you're trying your best, and if you can find a hutch that won't block the light (not that we'll be seeing much this year!) then that's still great :D

that;s a shame but you have to work with your mum on this one, keep looking, keep picking ur moment and good luck! Perhaps go back to your plan of a wider hutch and/or run.

I'm not allowed to get it :cry: Mum said it would block the light through the window (the window that's above where the hutch is now), so then I said we could swap the run and the hutch around so the run is under the window instead, but apparently the shed would be an "eyesore" and we don't know how long we're going to be living in this house for and the shed could put people off :?

The shed would be perfect, I just don't know what to do now. :(There's so little space in the garden, so I can't get anything huge.

I'm glad he's feeling more comfortable around me, when he's in my room he really perks up but my mum doesn't like him being up there to long because apparently it stresses him out :roll:

aww soudsn lke he feels happy with you in your room, can you not get your mum to sit on the floor and maybe play with him more see if that helps her come around, i used have same problem when frst got rabbits, mum saying rabbits are meant for outdoors, but i won her round by telling nan how cold it was cleaning in wnter and how happy they where indoors wth me, since then ive had house buns, and they are part of the family :thumb:

I could try getting my mum to see him when he is in my room.

I've just been talking with my dad, and he say's he understands where I'm coming from, and I should be able to buy things with my money. He said that I could put my birthday money from him towards getting a shed and things, but I'm just not sure my mum will let me get one.

He said that Freddy could live at his house, the garden is really big so there is enough space, and he doesn't mind me spending money on the shed/run. He'll pay for the food but doesn't want to have to pay for all the vet bills if Freddy gets ill, so would want to split them with my mum, which I think is reasonable.

Back