• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

i dont know what to do? pictures included! fighting/attacking

aaammmyyy

Mama Doe
june 9th 2013 i bought 2 female rabbits who are sisters,never been separated EVER-they're called binky and bella!
they live in a converted shed type thing and they got along so well,cuddling,playing everything normal really
3 days ago at about 10 o'clock my mum called me down cause they were fighting aggressively-it was more binky attacking bella?
bella just tried to run away and didnt respond so when binky carried on we gave them a small piece of carrot each to distract them,as carrot is their favorite treat.
i woke up the next morning,happy they'd ''stopped fighting'' boy was i wrong
i went to feed them and my poor bella hopped towards me like THIS!

1016972_4652648414254_386162353_n.jpg

i was shocked and i knew binky had done it!
''they've stopped fighting its okay-binky knows shes the dominant rabbit now and she'll stop'' i thought
later that day,my dad this time came in to tell me binky was attacking bella!
they stopped again and today i came out to feed them and binky was attacking her...AGAIN!
her back had since lost more fur than the picture and also has cuts on it,i know because they're nearly six months old and should be nearing sexual maturity so i excpected ONE dominent fight-if bella isnt fighting back why is binky carrying on?!
at that time i didnt have a ''spare'' hutch and now i do-my dads mate gave it to me for free,and it is quite small-id probably keep guinea pigs in it? but it'll do cause i dont want to find my poor bella dead if you understand cause they could fight to the death!
i dont know what to do
i cant get them 'spayed' for about a month
do i put binky in the small hutch? cause bella hasn't done anything wrong so deserves to stay in the big shed!
will they stop,someone please tell me? im worried for them!

Unfortunately, it's not a case of one fight and then things are settled. If you can't neuter for a month then I'd suggest separating so they don't cause serious injury and then swapping them daily so they have the shed alternate days. That way they are still exposed to each others scent and have the exercise.

Binky isn't being deliberately nasty, it's her hormones making her do it so try not to feel angry at her :)

Definitely separate them and switch them daily for exercise as Tamsin has said. See if you can get hold of any second hand runs to attach to the hutch so they can get a bit of exercise, it's important that they can at least stretch. Switching them will help them feel like they're sharing, so they should be easier to bond back together. If you only kept one in the shed for the next month, she'd feel like it was hers and she'd be protective when you come to reintroduce them later.

Is there any way you can get an 'advance' on the money from a family member? Sorry, not sure of your age. You can pay them back instead of saving. It's not really too good for them to be confined to a small hutch every other day for any length of time, so if there's any way you can get it done sooner I'd definitely try to do that.

I had my two girls when they were young and they fought when their hormones came out. After their spay I reintroduced them and they've been best friends every since with only the occasional scuffle around springtime (spring fever!). Please don't lose hope, they should bond back together after their spays and after their hormones die down. There's lots of help on here regarding best ways to 'bond' rabbits together or back together.

swapping them daily so they have the shed alternate days. That way they are still exposed to each others scent and have the exercise

This is SUCH a good idea! i never thought of that!
im scared to get the spayed,that they wont wake up or something-but im going to do it cause it can make them live longer and i love to see them happy together!
should i wait if they fight again then separate them and see if they can have any longer together?
and will it be okay if i put them in their run together while/if they're separated? but i keep a CLOSE eye?
thankyou for your help!

As Tamsin said! :thumb:

Do you have a run, could you have the hutch and run together and the shed seperate so whoever is in the hutch gets more space than just a hutch? :)

The alternate days idea sounds good! :D

I would separate them now. They can cause quick serious injuries requiring stitches etc. and they may fight when you aren't there to stop it.

Once they are separate I wouldn't put them back together until they are neutered, having spent time a part their first instinct will be to re-establish the pecking order which unneutered is likely to trigger a fight.

i have this run

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/rabbit-folding-run-by-pets-at-home-31898

but i dont think it will attach to the hutch as its hinged and stuff
the cage is also quite high up?like on stilts

can anyone recommend a run that will attach to almost any hutch?
ive been saving money for a while now actually for myself,but i guess ill buy a secondary run as they're happiness and well being is top of my priority,ever!

thankyou all for your help and advise!

I meant to say, about the run, that was only a temporary idea until you can maybe get a second hand or cheap run for both! :)

I meant to say, about the run, that was only a temporary idea until you can maybe get a second hand or cheap run for both! :)

my actual run-half of it is the size of the hutch,the run is quite bit but still!
i cant attach any runs atm i need to buy a second hand one
but to give as much space as i could,would it be a good idea to put the hutch inside of the run and to just leave the hutch door open-it would mean the space either rabbit will have would be doubled-it would be better this way until i can get hold of a bigggg second hand run to attach,right? even though i hate to keep them in a small hutch,but it has to be done or one may hurt the other and they'll alternate so it wont always be that way:)

Yes, putting the hutch inside the run would be fine :) Just made sure the door is secured open so your bun can't close the door behind her and get stuck with no access to the hutch.

Back