• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hutch Design and Building Advice

Daniel

Alpha Buck
I am interested in building rabbits hutches to sell and the reason for this is so far I’ve been unhappy with the quality, how hard they are to clean and the sizes. Most of the hutches for sale in my area are far too small.

I’ll be aiming to create the hutches at least 6ft long, 3ft deep and at least 2ft high per floor.

What I am looking for here is some advice.

Like, is a wooden floor better than a plastic tray?
How big should the sleeping area be?
Etc

New to rabbits you see so not sure what is really needed in a hutch.
Anything you can think of that you feel would make your hutch better and easier.
Any advice would be great.

I’m more interested in creating a healthy and happy home for rabbits.

Those sound like very good sizes. :)

Generally the sleeping area only needs to be about 2ft wide, maybe a bit less even. It's mainly a place for them to go and hide if they get scared but it needs to be big enough for two buns. A wood floor is normal, but the sleeping area usually has a litter tray in it. I would recommend providing a litter tray with the hutch, that way you can make it fit exactly in the sleeping area. If it fits exactly in there it's so much easier to clean out because they can't go toilet outside of the litter tray. A lot of people buy cheap under bed boxes to use as litter trays, you can get them cheaply in Wilkinsons. Some of these have high sides though, so what you can do is to have the floor in the sleeping area lower down than the floor in the rest of the hutch, this makes it easier for them to jump in and out of the litter tray :)

For the inside of the hutch I would avoid using any tongue and grove paneling because rabbits love to chew and can start chewing on the lips and anything they can get a grip on to make holes in the hutch. It's better to have single pieces of wood, like plywood, so there is nothing for them to get a grip onto and chew.

Hello Daniel.

That size sounds fine.

Things to consider

Have the uprights on the outside so that buns don't chew them.

Have each panel substantial enough to be able to be screwed together and taken apart whenever required (for moving around garden/moving house).

Use top quality timber (heavy seasoned TandG) that won't move excessively in the seasons. A lot of shop bought hutches are made from Chinese Fir which is totally useless after a short time as it's too lightweight and is chewed easily, plus it's not good in bad weather.

Possibly have a removeable board that seperates the bed area from the rest of the hutch - not all of us like bed areas.

Heavy duty plywood floor that is marine quality to prevent seeping of wee. Don't use partical/chip type board as these are difficult to clean.

Use heavy quality weld mesh for the caging not preformed metal caging as in Rabbit Shack etc.

Use heavy quality pad bold type closures for doors and not turn buttons.

Use wooden roof materials and not a composite board - these loose shape and move in the elements.

Don't like plastic trays in hutch bases - not good if chewed, noisey when bunnies hop around and as they are loose poos and wee can get stuck down the back of them.

Consider making weather screens to order to fit the doors (out of perspex glass) for days when it's raining to make the need for hutch huggers unneccessary.

Make the design so that a run can be permanently attached and not via a hole in the floor (losing space from the hutch) as some rescues (ours included) won't rehome to a hutch unless it has a run attached.

If I can think of anything else I'll let you know.

Helen

There's a lot to think about and I doubt you'll come up with one design that suits all :) You may need to create a couple of different styles and then make them to order with modifications taken into account if people want them. I think if you can be flexible (at least until you find the "best seller") and show that you use good quality materials which will last and keep buns safe you won't go far wrong. I think you'd do well to quote the RSPCA & RWFA min guidelines for hutch sizes and mention that you use tower bolts & weld mesh (fox proof) too as this is should encourage people to buy from you and avoid other products. There is a real need for good sized, good quality hutches so it's great that you're doing this & I wish you every success. In addition, I'm not sure where you're based but if you can make them so that they can be delivered by a courier you'll be onto a winner ;)

Thank you all for your replies, yes I’ll agree that it be hard to please everyone with one design so I plan on creating a few standard designs that can be modified to the customers requests.

I’ll aim to create these designs as flatpack so that customer’s locations are not a problem.

In terms of timber I am looking towards using Rebwood from Scandinavian, and Plywood. For those rabbits that chew tongue and grove then we could easily fix 3.6mm Plywood inside.

The sleeping area I thought about making like a deep tray which can be pulled out like a draw. The idea of this is so that everything or at least most can stay inside the tray to make it easier to clean. Could use wood or plastic for this, could even put little holes in and have a drain system.

I also plan on creating at least two sides which are full doors so that people can get inside easier to clean.

With the weather screens, do you mean create a screen that protects form wind and rain over the open areas on the hutch or the whole hutch?

Ideally the idea is to create a happy and friendly home for rabbits.

Ooo they sound good already I want one :D The pull out tray with drainage sounds good! The perspex pannels would just fit in to the mesh part like a removable window. I'm going to knock some of these up my self to fit my existing hutches so the buns can see out without getting wet and it wont be a distorted view which i imagine you would get from a hutch hugger. These would also prevent draughts in winter for all year outdoor buns.

Have you got any idea as to costs yet??

Last edited:
Have you got any idea as to costs yet??

No idea on the cost as of yet, It would depend on the sizes and the overall materials used.

I would guess that it be in the £100s, maybe even £200s area. But I can not say for sure.
The cost is going to be the main problem as you can get some hutches rather cheap so competing will be an issue.

The sleeping area I thought about making like a deep tray which can be pulled out like a draw. The idea of this is so that everything or at least most can stay inside the tray to make it easier to clean. Could use wood or plastic for this, could even put little holes in and have a drain system.

With the weather screens, do you mean create a screen that protects form wind and rain over the open areas on the hutch or the whole hutch?

Ideally the idea is to create a happy and friendly home for rabbits.

I use underbed storage boxes or large cat litter trays for my buns which can be removed very easily and totally cleaned so this wouldn't be a plus for me - in fact I'd see it as a negative as it wouldn't suit how I use the hutch space. I like it to be as flexible as possible and by designating a particular area, it's no longer flexible. If you want to make life easy to clean out, you could add a removeable wooden panel in the front of the hutch so you can sweep the content straight out - very simple and it's both animal/human and bacteria friendly

With regard to the weather screens, my hutches have a frame which is made in the same gauge timber as the door frames but is smaller so sits directly inside the framing, and it has a piece of perspex attached so that it fits snugly inside

Photos available if you need to see what I mean :D.

I like lids that come up...Roofs that can be raised but yet fit firmly and can be fastened.:wave::wave:

No idea on the cost as of yet, It would depend on the sizes and the overall materials used.

I would guess that it be in the £100s, maybe even £200s area. But I can not say for sure.
The cost is going to be the main problem as you can get some hutches rather cheap so competing will be an issue.

I'd say Daniel that you would not be competing with the cheaper end of the market as people who are looking for good quality, appropriate housing are prepared to pay for it. I have just purchased some boarding accommodation and paid £345 per double storey hutch and I am very happy with it. Top quality. There was no point in going cheap as quality lasts as long as the rabbits do.

If you are mass producing then cheaper may be possible, but the guy who made mine does hutches to order and I think it works for him - small premises and small turnover.

You won't be able to compete with the majority of cheaper hutch makes anyway as most are made in China these days.

Go for medium/high quality and you will be on to a winner. With all of the campaigns for improving rabbit welfare, if you start out doing a good product, you have scope to do really well as the rubbish that is being sold currently stops being so widely available.

The RWA, the RSPCA and also now the PDSA have very strong ideas on hutches so why not make this a big selling point with your product?

I hope you are succesful.

I like lids that come up...Roofs that can be raised but yet fit firmly and can be fastened.:wave::wave:

Yep they have to be able to be fastened thoug. My hutch has a hinged lid which is a bit awkward when we lift it to move around the garden :?

Here's an example of what the animal welfare agencies are saying about rabbit accommodation.

This was released this week.

Sean Wensley, PDSA Senior Veterinary Surgeon, says:
Good news - the PDSA have released the following statement in support of the RWAF's 'Argos' campaign.

“PDSA, the UK’s leading veterinary charity, is concerned that hundreds of thousands of pet rabbits currently face an unhappy, lonely existence in cramped accommodation.

Under the Animal Welfare Act (2006), owners have a legal duty of care towards their pet rabbits, which includes providing them with a hutch that is large enough for two rabbits to be able to lie down fully stretched, to be able to rear up on their hind legs without their ears touching the top and to be able to do at least three hops from end to end. In addition, they need daily access to a safe and secure exercise run in which they can stretch upwards to their full height and be able to run, not just hop. PDSA recommends that hutches should be at least 6ft x 2ft x 2ft high and that runs should be at least 8ft x 4ft x 2ft high.

PDSA is disappointed at the availability of hutches and runs that are too small and prevent owners being able to meet their rabbits’ welfare needs. The charity will continue to raise awareness of the moral and legal duty of care amongst rabbit owners. Most rabbit owners want their pets to lead healthy and happy lives, and PDSA is committed to educating owners on the need for rabbits to have spacious, suitable accommodation. The charity believes that such awareness-raising amongst potential owners, and the creation of demand for appropriately sized hutches and runs, will make them more widely available for purchase.”

Here's an example of what the animal welfare agencies are saying about rabbit accommodation.

This was released this week.

Sean Wensley, PDSA Senior Veterinary Surgeon, says:
Good news - the PDSA have released the following statement in support of the RWAF's 'Argos' campaign.

“PDSA, the UK’s leading veterinary charity, is concerned that hundreds of thousands of pet rabbits currently face an unhappy, lonely existence in cramped accommodation.

Under the Animal Welfare Act (2006), owners have a legal duty of care towards their pet rabbits, which includes providing them with a hutch that is large enough for two rabbits to be able to lie down fully stretched, to be able to rear up on their hind legs without their ears touching the top and to be able to do at least three hops from end to end. In addition, they need daily access to a safe and secure exercise run in which they can stretch upwards to their full height and be able to run, not just hop. PDSA recommends that hutches should be at least 6ft x 2ft x 2ft high and that runs should be at least 8ft x 4ft x 2ft high.PDSA is disappointed at the availability of hutches and runs that are too small and prevent owners being able to meet their rabbits’ welfare needs. The charity will continue to raise awareness of the moral and legal duty of care amongst rabbit owners. Most rabbit owners want their pets to lead healthy and happy lives, and PDSA is committed to educating owners on the need for rabbits to have spacious, suitable accommodation. The charity believes that such awareness-raising amongst potential owners, and the creation of demand for appropriately sized hutches and runs, will make them more widely available for purchase.”

My vet said exactly this in an article he wrote recently for a vet mag...

I use underbed storage boxes or large cat litter trays for my buns which can be removed very easily and totally cleaned so this wouldn't be a plus for me - in fact I'd see it as a negative as it wouldn't suit how I use the hutch space. I like it to be as flexible as possible and by designating a particular area, it's no longer flexible. If you want to make life easy to clean out, you could add a removeable wooden panel in the front of the hutch so you can sweep the content straight out - very simple and it's both animal/human and bacteria friendly

Photos available if you need to see what I mean :D.

If you could show me some pictures that be great.
Does the guy by you make them flatpack or ready made?

You can tell the reason I’m here is because I want to create hutches that are prefect for rabbits and there health. Not interested in making loads of money, but a living would be good.

Lids are not going to be a problem to create but they would work out bitter in pitched roofs rather than a flat roof.

I’ve learnt here that I would need to create different styles of hutches for different people.

If you could show me some pictures that be great.
Does the guy by you make them flatpack or ready made?

You can tell the reason I’m here is because I want to create hutches that are prefect for rabbits and there health. Not interested in making loads of money, but a living would be good.

Lids are not going to be a problem to create but they would work out bitter in pitched roofs rather than a flat roof.

I’ve learnt here that I would need to create different styles of hutches for different people.

If you pm me your e-mail addy Daniel I'll take some photos and send them over later today by e-mail.

They all come flat packed with pre-drilled holes and are ready to assemble very easily and can be put up and taken down time and time again.

Hi. My ideal hutch would be the size you've quoted, with T&G outside and ply lining, possibly with a thin layer of insulation between the two skins which would help to keep it warm in the winter, but cool in the Summer. I always cover the wooden floor with some wipe clean material which is held down firmly with battens round the edges to prevent buckling and therefore temptation/opportunity for nibbling! I always remove the divider for the bedding area and put a small plastic pet carrier in the nest area instead. This is very useful as it makes a very cosy bedding area which is easy to clean as the whole thing can be lifted out for cleaning or for moving the buns from the hutch to their day time run if applicable. My hutch is only 5x3", but there is a 5x6 run underneath to which they have free access. This pic will give you a better idea. I've since changed the flooring from vetbed to self adhesive kitchen floor tiles.
DSC01348.jpg

Hi. My ideal hutch would be the size you've quoted, with T&G outside and ply lining, possibly with a thin layer of insulation between the two skins which would help to keep it warm in the winter, but cool in the Summer. I always cover the wooden floor with some wipe clean material which is held down firmly with battens round the edges to prevent buckling and therefore temptation/opportunity for nibbling! I always remove the divider for the bedding area and put a small plastic pet carrier in the nest area instead. This is very useful as it makes a very cosy bedding area which is easy to clean as the whole thing can be lifted out for cleaning or for moving the buns from the hutch to their day time run if applicable. My hutch is only 5x3", but there is a 5x6 run underneath to which they have free access. This pic will give you a better idea. I've since changed the flooring from vetbed to self adhesive kitchen floor tiles.
DSC01348.jpg

I really like how youve done it all! Nice!:D

When Ive been looking at hutches - apart from the fact that they are all too small & too expensive - is the double & triple hutches have the ramps going up & a hole in each floor for access - this just takes up so much of each levels floor space - why cant we have the option of a ramp OR the bunnies could have a box thats half way in height between the 2 levels - that way - they can hop onto the box & then onto the next level.

So on ground floor there would be abox which they can go into & also hop on top to the next level. This would mean more height on each level for them to stretch as no ramp would be in the way & also each level wouldnt have a hole either side.....

just an idea - not sure if I explained it very well.....:oops::love:

oooh another idea!:shock:

What about a concept that you have a basic hutch which can be added on too? So as you want to extend the hutch - you have a few design options that all work with each other?

People could then basically use your "extentions" and design their own add-on for their hutches?

Thinking cost effective (ikea), and love the insulation idea that was mentioned on here too - what fun! Cant wait to see what you come up with! ;)

Back