• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Huge fox in my garden!!

Yes you're probably right about the shed. I hope the sonic thing works I would have tried that but it would drive our dogs nuts!

it dont sound like hes going to give up now he knows they are there :cry::cry::cry:

if you put them in the spare room would your mom object to sleeping in the living room? that was they are not incontact at all and mr fox will move on to a different place

hope you manage to sort something out hun

Can you post a photo of your outside set up for the bunnies? Maybe if we can see, someone might be able to come up with security suggestions.

Can you post a photo of your outside set up for the bunnies? Maybe if we can see, someone might be able to come up with security suggestions.

I have one 6x2x2 happy hutch and run combo and two single 6x2x2 stand alone hutches with a stand alone run on the grass which the two in the single hutch bunnies have turns about in during the day. (or they did until now) All three are on a small patio area beside the shed. The rest of the garden is on a quite a steep hill. Any suggestions would be welcome. I'll post a photo as soon as my batteries have charged.

Edit: just looked through my photos on my laptop and this is the only one I can find which gives a kind of idea of the set up. Just ignore the big daffodil!

daf.jpg

Joey's single hutch is against the back of the house, under the kitchen window, Skye's hutch combo is visible just to the right of the daffodil (with green tarp cover), with it's back towards the shed and the other single hutch is just to the left of the white sack in the photo, it is facing Skye's hutch and has its back against the neighbouring wall.

Last edited:
For now I'd be tempted to put the hutches all facing each other in a c-shape formation and use the run panels to create a secure courtyard run in the centre they can all come out into on a rota and padlock it shut. I'd even go as far as screwing the hutches to one another with metal brackets so nothing can move.

Alternatively get some aviary panels and build an area big enough to put all the hutches inside.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Bunnies are inside again tonight, we've got the heating turned off so they don't lose their winter coats. We're just having to layer jumpers and snuggle under a blanket.

I've ordered the ultrasonic fox deterrent so hope that will work. I've googled for reviews and there were a few, all good. Thanks to everyone for your great advice.

Oh no! Blimey, how stressful and sorry to hear about your dad :cry:

I hope you can sort something out, what a worry and always at the worst time :(

For now I'd be tempted to put the hutches all facing each other in a c-shape formation and use the run panels to create a secure courtyard run in the centre they can all come out into on a rota and padlock it shut. I'd even go as far as screwing the hutches to one another with metal brackets so nothing can move.

Alternatively get some aviary panels and build an area big enough to put all the hutches inside.

Thats a good idea, also you could make some wooden shuttertype panels to bolt(not latches) onto the front of each hutch at night for extra strength, drill some air holes into the centre of the panels and attach before bed. Make sure its weld mesh instead of flimsy wire on all the hutches and runs too and only use bolts, padlocks, hasps instead of latches/hooks.

The sound deterents are supposed to be quite good too.

Also, I know most people disagree with this school of thought but ive got free range buns and it has always worked for me. If you have an alley, area of scrub/field etc that you know the fox visits thats not right near your house, put scraps down for it. Its because its winter and most people have wheelie bins now that foxes are having to work harder for their food. By feeding them in a safe area you are diverting them from your rabbits. Not many foxes will still work hard to get the rabbits if they have an easy meal elsewhere. Stop feeding in the spring when there are plenty of birds/mice/wild rabbits about again and hopefully he will move on.

Last edited:
I have foxes that regularly cut through my garden and I manage to cope with them. I use 'man wee' as a deterrant and they also seem to avoid where my dog goes (i deliberatley leave his poo down til the next day). I keep the buns as near to the house as possible and dont have hutches on the floor, at fox eye level, I much prefer a hutch with legs or sat on a sturdy table and add extra locks. Good luck. :)

Thats a good idea, also you could make some wooden shuttertype panels to bolt(not latches) onto the front of each hutch at night for extra strength, drill some air holes into the centre of the panels and attach before bed. Make sure its weld mesh instead of flimsy wire on all the hutches and runs too and only use bolts, padlocks, hasps instead of latches/hooks.

I did think about making some sort of shutter for the hutches too. I'll need to let my OH loose in B&Q! :lol:

Anyway, just a wee update for you all...

Fox is back again!! He's a persistent wee :censored: if nothing else. But bunnies are safe and sound inside the house. They can still sense him though cause they were still thumping like crazy. He ran away as soon as the motion light came on but I'm sure he'll be back. I'm sitting downstairs in the cold with the buns just now.

'Project f-off' should start this week when the ultrasonic thing is delivered. I'm going to set it all up and put some scraps in Skye's hutch and see if it works. There's no way I'm testing it with the buns out there! P.s the 'f' is for fox... what did you all think! :lol:

I was speaking to my dad and he has an air rifle that he has had for years, he offered to bring it up next week.... I hate to say it (and you will all probably hate me for it) but I was really tempted by the offer! :shock:

My mum said 'Just as long as it doesn't get our Grand-bunnies!' :love: :lol: :lol:

I was speaking to my dad and he has an air rifle that he has had for years, he offered to bring it up next week.... I hate to say it (and you will all probably hate me for it) but I was really tempted by the offer! :shock:

An air rifle is completely inadequate for the job. The chance of cleanly killing anything as big as a fox with one of those is minimal. All you're likely to achieve is a wounded animal, unable to hunt properly so more likely to go after easy prey like pet rabbits, while slowly dying of an infected wound.

If you are tempted, do it properly. With a shotgun.

Removing the fox isn't really the answer as it's cub dispersal time now and another will just take over it's territory.

Shooting a fox for coming after your rabbits is like shooting a rabbit for eating your plants IMO - they're only doing what's natural to them, to a fox a rabbit is a rabbit..these ones just happen to be in weird wooden boxes!
I think as pet owners it's our responsibility to provide a secure environment as best we can, rather than injure or kill wild animals for following their instincts - we're the ones playing with nature by keeping pets in the first place.
I hope you get it sorted. Have you tried your local Freecycle/Ebay for a shed?

Shooting a fox for coming after your rabbits is like shooting a rabbit for eating your plants IMO - they're only doing what's natural to them, to a fox a rabbit is a rabbit..these ones just happen to be in weird wooden boxes!
I think as pet owners it's our responsibility to provide a secure environment as best we can, rather than injure or kill wild animals for following their instincts - we're the ones playing with nature by keeping pets in the first place.
I hope you get it sorted. Have you tried your local Freecycle/Ebay for a shed?

I'm not really going to try and shoot it. I thought the shocked :shock: face would show that I was shocked at myself for being tempted.

Fingers crossed the shutters/reinforced mesh/ultrasonic etc will all work. :D

My Foxwatch ultrasonic deterrent was delivered today. I'm just about to head out to set it up. I'll let you know how it goes. Although, it's not a quick fix, it says that it will take 4-6 weeks for the fox to learn to avoid the area. It could take up to 3 months! And if the fox is deaf obviously it won't work at all. I really thought that it would only take a few nights. Oh well. Looks like the bunnies will be in the house longer than expected.

Don't put any scraps in the hutches! Even if the sensor thing works he will think the food is there and be tempted to keep coming back. Just set up the sensor without trying to tempt him with food. :wave:

Don't put any scraps in the hutches! Even if the sensor thing works he will think the food is there and be tempted to keep coming back. Just set up the sensor without trying to tempt him with food. :wave:

Yeah, O/H was telling me that was a stupid idea too. :oops: I won't be doing that.

Back