• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How we got Scarlet to eat more hay.

RedFraggle

Warren Veteran
I hope I am not tempting fate here, but after several months of perseverance, and some "being cruel to be kind tactics" we have finally managed to get Scarlet to eat a decent quantity of hay. I just thought I would share for the benefit of others who may be at the "I wish my rabbit would eat more hay but it won't" stage to hopefully offer some support. Scarlet is a dental bun, about 3 to 4 years old and was not "into" hay at all when we got her last year from the RSPCA. She was very much a "give me the nuggets" kind of girl, we would rarely if ever see her eat any hay, and her diet was almost solely greens and nuggets. Her poops were plentiful but quite small and quite dark as you'd expect.
We have tried hay from the 3 local pet shops we have access to and have also bought from Hay 4 Pets. The hay for pets hay was a bit of a breakthrough, there was some interest, but she still didn't eat a great deal after the first day or so. I also started collecting the "nugget dust" from the bottom of the container we keep the nuggets in and sprinkling this into the hay tray to "season" the hay for her. There was more interest, but she still wasn't really eating much hay. I then told my husband (who is a bit of a soft touch and means well) that we were going to have to cut her nuggets and greens right back. I didn't like the idea, and he hated it and said I was mean and she'd be hungry, but by that point it was clear that she could (he was worried about her teeth) and would eat hay but it was never going to be her preference unless we did something to change that. She had just had a dental at that point, so we knew that her teeth would not be uncomfortable which might perhaps make eating hay harder than the crunch and swallow nuggets require so we bit the bullet. Over the course of around a month, we cut back the nuggets and the greens and made sure she always had plenty of fresh hay. We also held off feeding her first thing in the morning, if she had no choice she'd eat hay (even if it was the hay cookie things) so we would leave her an extra hour before giving her a very small portion of nuggets. We also put half the nuggets into the hay tray, to make her forage, and nose through the hay in the process. I felt mean, but could see the different in her poops so knew she was eating more hay and not starving herself so we kept at it. The other thing I have noticed is that she is quite contrary with respect to which hay she likes, and she seems to get bored with one kind very quickly, so we give her (and Ori) three different kinds each day. She varies which one she likes to munch on, but is now eating a good quantity of hay each day, I would estimate it at in excess of 60% of her diet currently and I hope to up it further. So if anyone else is struggling, keep with it, it can be done, even with an older bun. She's still first in the nuggets, and she still has the lions share of the greens each night, but she is now most definately a hay eater.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing. My Spenser is still really contrary with hay, so I will try some of your tips. :thumb:

Thanks!
By way of illustration (featuring the gorgeous Orinoco!)..........................

nuggets004.jpg

nuggets003.jpg

nuggets002.jpg

I was going to post a thread asking how to encourage hay eating

Others can advise better than me but your bunny is still settling in to her new home so I wouldn't suggest cutting back her other foods or anything like that at the moment. You could try some different hays (hay 4 pets will send you a trial pack of each of theirs for about £4) try the nugget dust trick though or just try to make hay more interesting for her, you can make her a toy from an empty toilet roll tube stuffed with hay and a couple of nuggets hidden it. She might like that.

Great tips!

Lola made me very proud the other day, she climbed over her bowl (and stood in it!) with pellets in to get to her hay :love:

The new bag though musn't be quite the same as she isn't as interested this week :roll:

Our two will always eat nuggets in preference to hay, so I now do a similar thing. I make sure they have loads of fresh hay but have cut down their nuggets and feed them at night now. They are out on the grass most days, and I give them salad leaves too, so I can't see that they will go hungry, but they are definitely eating more hay now.

:thumb:Loving the 'nugget dust' tip not thought of that before.
Like you I've had some 'hay refusers' over the years too.

Back