• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to introduce a new, bigger rabbit to my dwarf rabbit?

bondenwong

New Kit
Recently my rabbit Henry passed away, leaving Albert the lionhead/Netherland dwarf cross behind. To give an idea of how small he is, he weight 1.0kg. Today I went to pick up a lop from a shelter so that Albert wouldn't be alone, but there was a problem once I got there so I was directed towards another rabbit which is a full-sized Dutch. He is visibly bigger than Albert and weighs a heck of a lot more. At the shelter, this rabbit was in his own pen but he was next to other rabbits which he could see.

He's been here for a couple of hours now. I've had the two of them on either side of a criss-crossed wooden fence with gaps in between so they can see each other, and I've even been able to let them be together while I kind of half hold the new one. Luckily he's very tame so I'm not having problems with picking him up to separate them. There's been no growling or scratching so far and the Dutch hasn't tried any mounting up to now, but Albert is eager to mount him and if Albert runs to him too quickly or overdoes the mounting then the new Dutch will lightly nip Albert's nose.

Does anyone have any experience with introducing rabbits of different sizes? My plan was to get one that's a similar size but since that didn't work out, I'm now left wondering how to counteract the power difference between them. They're being surprisingly great with eachother but I know that if the Dutch wanted to, he could easily overpower Albert. I have an agreement with the shelter guy that he's happy to take the Dutch back if we can't make it work. any advice would be appreciated, thank you!

Getting 2 boys together is not easy - didn't the shelter have a Doe to be re-homed? This would be much easier.

Recently my rabbit Henry passed away, leaving Albert the lionhead/Netherland dwarf cross behind. To give an idea of how small he is, he weight 1.0kg. Today I went to pick up a lop from a shelter so that Albert wouldn't be alone, but there was a problem once I got there so I was directed towards another rabbit which is a full-sized Dutch. He is visibly bigger than Albert and weighs a heck of a lot more. At the shelter, this rabbit was in his own pen but he was next to other rabbits which he could see.

He's been here for a couple of hours now. I've had the two of them on either side of a criss-crossed wooden fence with gaps in between so they can see each other, and I've even been able to let them be together while I kind of half hold the new one. Luckily he's very tame so I'm not having problems with picking him up to separate them. There's been no growling or scratching so far and the Dutch hasn't tried any mounting up to now, but Albert is eager to mount him and if Albert runs to him too quickly or overdoes the mounting then the new Dutch will lightly nip Albert's nose.

Does anyone have any experience with introducing rabbits of different sizes? My plan was to get one that's a similar size but since that didn't work out, I'm now left wondering how to counteract the power difference between them. They're being surprisingly great with eachother but I know that if the Dutch wanted to, he could easily overpower Albert. I have an agreement with the shelter guy that he's happy to take the Dutch back if we can't make it work. any advice would be appreciated, thank you!

I am assuming both Bucks are neutereed ?

If so then it is possible to bond two Bucks, I had done so numerous times. The size difference may not be a huge issue, often the smaller Rabbit may be the dominant one.

Introduction does need to be undertaken on neutral territory. It does not sound as though you have done this ?

Bonding 2 boys shouldn't be an issue. Usual rules apply - both should have been neutered for at least a couple of months. Bonding should be on neutral territory (where neither rabbit has been before). They need monitoring closely at first, and then watched for a few days when you think they have bonded. Don't increase the area they are in until you are certain that they have a solid bond - so go slow and steady. Chasing, mounting and some fur pulling is normal at first - make sure they each have somewhere they can hide from the other, and provide distractions (eg scatter food). They need to work out the relationship bewtween themselves. Full locked-on fighting isn't good, and they should be separated immediately.

Back