• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to Fix the situation

i agree, advice is all well and good, that's what the forum's here for, but accusations and shoving an opinion (and that's all it is at the end of the day) down your throat is unnecessary.

I felt really awful about my new bunny-to-be when I was accused of animal cruelty before I even OWNED the thing! This mystery bunny is going to be abused and neglected as soon as it sets foot on my property apparently. Admittedly, I hadn't covered all the facts but please don't jump to conclusions!!

Advice, brilliant
Opinions, fab as long as they ARE opinions and not 'the law'
Support, that;'s what we're here for surely?!

on that subject if i dont plan to have kids should i be spayed?? lolololol

One of my mum's friends did that :shock: She agreed to marry the poor bloke who was besotted with her on condition he pay for her to have a hysterectomy - she was only in her 20s :shock: He was such a loving bloke too - desperate for kids but love is blind :roll: He had a herd of guinea pigs in the end as his 'babies' and she went off and followed her career and dumped him after a few years of wedded 'bliss' :?

On the other hand...

I am constantly astounded by the patience of many posters on here who reply again and again to the same inane/irresponsible queries. I have to NOT reply to those because I dont have the patience. Those of you who do - thanks very much!!

It can be frustrating to have some opinions stringently reinforced without any regard to the context. But then again there are many people who dont get gentle hints or who want to learn, so spelling it out as A Rule may well save bunnies from an unhealthy or unhappy life. If you are informed enough to know the 'risks' of breaking A Rule then good for you :D

And - no offense to anyone here - loving your pets is not the same as being well informed about their needs. (How many RSPCA type programmes have you seen about the mad person with 90 cats in their house that they cant let go of because they love them soooo much??!)

I just thought I'd reply and say that I agree with a lot that is said here. Some members can be quite opinionated but we know that we do the best for our animals and take the good advice and ignore unhelpful posts. I'd just like to commend the moderators as they do a brilliant job of locking posts that upset people. I feel that at times breeders on here get a rough ride and yes we may not agree with everything they say but they can offer invaluable advice and they must love their buns otherwise they wouldn't be here! Just remember everyone here has something in common. We think rabbits rock and we want everybody in the World to know how they should be appreciated and cared for!

I just thought I'd reply and say that I agree with a lot that is said here. Some members can be quite opinionated but we know that we do the best for our animals and take the good advice and ignore unhelpful posts. I'd just like to commend the moderators as they do a brilliant job of locking posts that upset people. I feel that at times breeders on here get a rough ride and yes we may not agree with everything they say but they can offer invaluable advice and they must love their buns otherwise they wouldn't be here! Just remember everyone here has something in common. We think rabbits rock and we want everybody in the World to know how they should be appreciated and cared for!

couldn't have said it better myself (although that doesn't stop me trying :))

i understand the need to inform people of the right way to be with pets :D
i guess missy was upset by comments about people not spaying are bad evil monsters who shouldnt have rabbits type comments... when i first joined a forum (not this one) i felt people were being quite mean to impulse buyers..... i buy my pets with the soul intention of finding out all i can to make thier lives as fabulous as possible ( i just cant wait and research first is all) and i found some comments were aimed at us stupid peeps who didnt go to shelters/proper breeders... i have since realised people only react bad because of what they have personnally witnessed.... im not a bad person, i know my limits on what i cant and cant cope with animal wise and the bun binkys all the time so he must be happy....infact the little sod rules the house and he was always meant to be a house pet.. i myself cant have an animal i wont see as i sit to watch tv....lol

hmmm not sure im brave enough for surgery just incase my hormones kick in.....

when you say joined a forum, but not this one. could it be the one i recognised you off?
thats the reason i dnt post on there as much, cus nobody will budge an inch and i was sick of it...and now i feel like the same things gunna happen...

both mine were impulse buys and they are spoilt rotten. i love them more than anything. they were pampered house bunnies with the run of the attic until june, now they have a 6x4 hutch, with a 6x4 run underneath and permanent access to an 18ft lean to run. they are let out every day for at least 2 hours (they were out from 10 till 9 today!) and enjoy the finest in SS pellets, fresh veg, timothy, meadow and excel forage hays, and all the cuddles they can shake their tales at!

lolol yup thats the one..... i posted one or two in my defence posts but now ive settled in quite well..... not enough posts for me to read on there so here i am in this huge forum....awww missy we all have our opinions and most people who keep pets are genuine nice people... dont let comments that have become routine upset you.... just know your bunnies love you and thats really all that matters if they are healthy and happy.... we all keep pets out of the selfish need to love and we all know the natural habitat is really the proper way but hey im selfish an i luv all my babies to bits :D

well.... I bought Jelly from garden centre, and peanut butter from pets at home, the same weekend. Domino is their son. But the one thing i will never do is say 'i wish i had adopted' bcus if i had i wouldnt have the amazing bunnies i have now. i wouldnt even have pebbes my first rescue bun, from the RSPCA, as i got her bcus domino was lonely.

Peanut butter and jelly, were impulse buys, However, i am the kind of person who may buy a pet on impulse...BUT look up info as soon as they get them home, etc. lol they even have the own garden now!! i really need to post piccies of that actually!

most of us are impulse buyers.... atleast we care enough to get the info once we got them.... plus all the reading in the world would not have prepared me for Alvin... he looks like an angel but is infact an evil ninja.....lololololol and i love everysecond of spending time with this none purebreed..... both chipmunks came from a pets@home and they are very happy too :D.... i dont regret any of it.... my only problem is the longer i keep him the more i want more monsters hopping around.. oh and a goat... hehe

and the one pet im trying not to bring home at the moment is a pair of degus (at pets at home right now) brain is winning this time not the heart

lol ive always wanted a goat, only a little one thought cus big one pinned me to a door at colchester zoo when i was 8 lol! i was screaming and crying, it proper attacked me! they did give me a voucher 4 the gift shop cus i was so upset lol!

i want a cheaky one just like the one that stole my bag of bird seed when i was a child at a bird type zoo... i guess thatll take a lot of reading once i get a big enough house with a huge garden ;)

On the other hand...

I am constantly astounded by the patience of many posters on here who reply again and again to the same inane/irresponsible queries. I have to NOT reply to those because I dont have the patience. Those of you who do - thanks very much!!

It can be frustrating to have some opinions stringently reinforced without any regard to the context. But then again there are many people who dont get gentle hints or who want to learn, so spelling it out as A Rule may well save bunnies from an unhealthy or unhappy life. If you are informed enough to know the 'risks' of breaking A Rule then good for you :D

And - no offense to anyone here - loving your pets is not the same as being well informed about their needs. (How many RSPCA type programmes have you seen about the mad person with 90 cats in their house that they cant let go of because they love them soooo much??!)

Brilliantly put!!! I too cannot believe the patience of some of the people on this forum - I read some posts and think WHAT?? And then someone comes on and patiently writes exactly what they wrote in a post only a day ago - sometimes I think we're just plain lazy here, there is a search facility but we don't use it and then get upset cos our posts haven't been responded to. :rolleyes:

We don't all agree and everyone is entitled to their opinion and I agree there are times we could be a bit more sensitive about it, but if we ask for opinions we shouldn't get upset when we get them because they don't agree with ours; if advice is blatantly ignored and then the outcome as people warned how can we then expect sympathy? I think most people are on here for their rabbits, advice and support. Friendship is secondary and comes with time so why get offended by something a stranger says?

An issue that really gets on my nerves is posts in the wrong section e.g. there's posts in Rabbit Care which should clearly be in Rabbit Chat and this makes researching certain topics quite tedious.

"We don't all agree and everyone is entitled to their opinion and I agree there are times we could be a bit more sensitive about it, but if we ask for opinions we shouldn't get upset when we get them because they don't agree with ours; if advice is blatantly ignored and then the outcome as people warned how can we then expect sympathy? I think most people are on here for their rabbits, advice and support. Friendship is secondary and comes with time so why get offended by something a stranger says?"

Firstly....what about the people who dont want advice? what if they are just stating the way their situation is, and people jump on their backs everytime? like me and not wanting jelly spayed, i dont want people's advice, its my choice. yet every time i mentioned it for one reason or another, everyone goes on at me. Yeht hey want whats best for ym rabbit...but thats the point she is my rabbit!

If you ask for an opinion then yeh you cant expect everyone to agree, thats true. but what about the people who dont? and they get it anyway? sometimes there is a post where you have to speak up even if they dont want you to, i.e rabbits welfare etc. But not for things that are personal choice.

" if advice is blatantly ignored and then the outcome as people warned how can we then expect sympathy? ?"

thats not fair, thats like just 'if you dont agree with me then you deserve what you get" If i dont get jelly spayed and she dies of cancer when shes 4 for example....are you then going to tell me it was my own fault?

I wasn't referring to your decision whether or not to spay your rabbit, I meant something more along the lines of getting a lid for the run and a fox getting in. Surely your response to my thread is the other side to this coin? You have completely over reacted, I believe, and taken something I said personally when it was in fact just an opinion.

Just to add - when I say don't expect sympathy I don't mean no-one will be sorry about the resulting situation :?

Last edited:
I can see what the poster means in a way. If you ask for advice and ignore it then something terrible happens because you ignored the advice, well, I wouldn't be falling over myself to express sympathy, only to feel sorry for the rabbit. There is nothing more infuriating than giving advice to someone who although has asked for it, doesn't want it if it doesn't fit in with what they want to do.

However that said, there has to be some (however small) credit given to someone that would ask in the first place.

Forums will always be this way and I can pick out the individuals who appear to only want to disagree with anything others say. But it is frustrating when people come on here to ask questions that they should be asking a vet. If you have a seriously ill animal, this is not the first place to go. Getting a vets opinion should be first, then do some research on the condition or what they say after. As previously said, the people who patiently deal with these posts are great, I couldn't as I would get too annoyed with them.

thanks for posting this Missy :wave:
I agree with a lot that is said here. So many people with so many different set-ups, budgets, beliefs and opinions.
I've been quite shocked on here recently at some of the responses to some fairly heavy duty problems thread; It's not that i don't belileve people should speak, but if that person was stood next to you, would you put it like that?

Another thing that we all must remember is that all of this is text. Smileys cannot replace the huge percentage of our non-verbal communication and vocal inference that we rely so heavily on to both communicate our ideas and understand other peoples.
Try switching the TV volume off when there are real people (not actors) talking, and you'll see just how much we say this way.
Not everyone is good at communcaing through written word, I know I'm not, so I have to try really hard to make myself fully understood, and get very frustrated when something i've said is taken the wrong way, cos I haven't managed to put it over well enough.

we don't all have ideal set ups, and time and etc etc . but we all try our best and are a community of like minded people who should be helping each other without judgement. :D

Back