• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to attach a run to hutch?

nessar

Warren Veteran
I'm playing about with some ideas for the bunnies to give them more room when I move house next week.

This is how the setup is now, with the hutch inside the run. The run is 8x6 so they have 48sqft.

What I am thinking of doing is, when I come to put the run back together at the new house, leaving one side off and attaching the run to the front of the hutch. This should give them a total of 60sqft. This would then be almost the same setup as this, using the same run and hutch but mine were not attached: http://www.the-rabbit-hutch-shop.co...tch-and-run-of-the-year-competition-feedback/

BUT I don't know how I would attach the run to the hutch. It would need to be fox proof as ideally I want them to have 24 hour access and I won't be home from work till about 9pm every night. Any ideas on how to make it securely attached to the run?

Can you not screw hutch front or back to run, cut out of part of the run and attach mesh to the hutch frame and leave door open if front or cut hole in back?

http://www.runaround.co.uk/products/bridge-link would work well, and I can vouch for the runaround being very very strong and predator proof. Nice and easy to fit, you just have to cut the mesh and bolt it on. You can block off one side too with the clear disc they provide, for if you ever need to to get them into the carrier or anything!

I've seen this too http://www.boylespethousing.co.uk/accessories/joining-tunnel.html but it looks like you'd have to build a tiny wooden frame to attach it. Shouldn't be much bother though.

I don't need any link or tunnel I don't think, as the hutch will sit in front of the run like in the link with the door open inside the run. I want to sort of screw the run into the hutch, but I don't want to actually screw it, as I want it to be removable if needed. So I want some sort of catches or lock or something that I can use to secure it to the hutch but will allow me to move it if I choose.

What about hasp and staple type locks? They come in various sizes so you can get some that are long enough to reach from the hutch to the run and then padlock them shut. You can get them from B&Q, Wickes, Screwfix, Wilkinsons.

Wire-Hasp-and-Staple_medium.jpg

Heavy-Duty-Hasp-And-Staple_medium.jpg

What about hasp and staple type locks? They come in various sizes so you can get some that are long enough to reach from the hutch to the run and then padlock them shut. You can get them from B&Q, Wickes, Screwfix, Wilkinsons.

Wire-Hasp-and-Staple_medium.jpg

Heavy-Duty-Hasp-And-Staple_medium.jpg

Oooh they look good! Do you think I'd just need one on each side or more than one?

I've used them on my hutch doors and now on the aviary too. I'd probably go with 2 each side (one top, one bottom) just to be on the safe side because that's going to be one of the weakest points for a fox to try to gain entry (but I might just be over cautious :oops:).

I've used them on my hutch doors and now on the aviary too. I'd probably go with 2 each side (one top, one bottom) just to be on the safe side because that's going to be one of the weakest points for a fox to try to gain entry (but I might just be over cautious :oops:).

I would do two each side, the hutch and run would have to be very strong and heavy to only need 1 each side.

Back