• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How often do you

I'm going to start scrubbing twice a week now. It's usually once a week and a daily tray clean but as its summer i don't want to risk anything. My next door neighbour popped her head over the fence yesterday to tell me she lost 5 rabbits to flystrike last summer :?.

Weekly - and a big over haul of hay every month or so.
They only really wee and poo in the corner of their kennel and in the litter tray and box in the kennel so I just clear those out and then I get rid of all the hay so the hay is all fresh and I get a new haybale when it gets a bit scraggy and starts falling apart (they like to build tunnels in iT! :lol:

i have added a big litterbox (was hamster cage bottem) and has all the hay in it so when they eat the hay they will sit in it....
There is also toffees littlerbox in the hutch which is near the door to go outside (where they do their poos and wees as its dark) And it also has hay in it... so i hope they do their poos and wees in those. *Crosses fingers*
If not then every other day ill just clean the whole of the bottem level out, replacing the newspaper, sawdust and hay :wave: :)
Thank you everyone for replying :love:
Very helpful xxx

I'm interested that people say they need to clean out every day due to flies...I only clean twice or three times per week and never have flies around the hutches...I wonder if it's because I have quite a lot of space compared to most gardens? :?

I'm interested that people say they need to clean out every day due to flies...I only clean twice or three times per week and never have flies around the hutches...I wonder if it's because I have quite a lot of space compared to most gardens? :?

maybe they get alot of flies where they are? :roll::lol:
i dont get flies in the hutch as its in a garage but they can get in there every now and then...
:roll:

I have to clean out Daisy's litter tray at least twice in 24 hours, if not three times. She's a conti so she must do a lot more poos and wees than smaller bunnies? :lol:

She has a large tray, 2/3 is filled with megazorb or smartcat litter, and the final third with hay. She's usually very good and doesn't wee on the hay, which I top up every few hours.

I change their litter trays every other day and then do a proper full clean out at the weekend (so once a week, sometimes once mid week as well). :)

i celan litter trays every day or every other day depending on how much they have been used(ie dependant on how much hutch time they have had) then i do a full clean out every 2 or 3 weeks of all the bedding they obviosly get fresh hay daily too in copious amounts which they eat part of and sleep on the rest mostly!!!

I clean my buns out every monday and thursday.On monday the bedding is all tipped out ,quick clean but on a thursday,again all bedding is tipped out but then wash thouroughly using boilin water and white vinegar.Their toys and lounge are also thoroughly cleaned on thursday-takes me roughly 30mins on monday and 2hours on thursday.litter tray is cleaned out daily as are food/water bowls.

ever since the council changed the bins to 2 weekly collections, the amount of flies has increased! i dread fly strike so i do the litter trays every day.

In the summer litter trays are cleaned and disinfected every day.

At the moment, I do full hutch/run - disinfect and litter tray empty/ disinfect every other day. Takes me about an hour to do 2 hutchs and runs and i sweep the guinea pigs poo off the vet bed every day!

For the dark nights a head torch is invaluable for cleaning out and feeding in the dark. I often dont start the evening feeding and cleaning until 9.00 pm.

Getting the hutch organised with a large litter tray which is the only place where hay is, you can have it in the tray and also hang other hay above the tray. That way they are possibly more likely to use their tray which will make cleaning out easier and quicker.

I like this tip, but feel for you having to clean at 9pm.

Back