• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How often do you Panacur your rabbits?

lja401

Warren Scout
I have 2 bunnies. Noel has suspected EC and in December 2011 he started rolling and lost his balance. We panacured him and he got back to his normal self.

We panacur both Noel and Milly for 9 days every 3 months as this is what our vet recommended. Is this too often?

Recently Noel has had to have his Panacur early because he has been unwell and the vet thought it might be his EC so we panacured him in December 2012 (9 day course) and then this week (6 weeks after the 9 day course) he has been showing signs of EC again so we have been advised to give him a 28 day course. Are we giving it to him too often? Should Milly be panacured for 28 days too?

I love my bunnies so much so I want to do what's best for them.

How often do you panacur your bunnies who have ec and those that aren't showing signs but live with infected buns?

Thank you,

x

Flora (has had EC) and Max (no symptoms but lives with Flora) I do every 3-4 months. When Flora was ill with EC was advised that 28 days was not enough sometimes and could do up to 45... not sure if anyone else has done this but I did it with her and she hasn't had a relapse for 6 months now. I would do the other bun too, just in case.

Another pair I do every 3-4 months too but that's because Skye kept having flare ups with pinworms - yucky!!

Rest I do upon arrival (I take in buns that people no longer want) and then occasionally - maybe 6/8 months

i have not wormed mine even the vet advised not too , what i do is send off a sample of bumbles to this laboratory that tests them for worms costs £9 per sample they have always been negative ...

I dont worm mine, and wouldn't unless I had symptoms of worms or ec to treat. I have heard that rabbits can build up a tolerance to the drugs used by frequent exposure. I have no reference for that whatsoever but I still wouldn't treat without symptoms, also my 2 are indoors so much less of a chance of them getting worms in the first place!

why did my vets make me buy a £18 bottle of lapizole when you all use panacuur? only had one rabbit at the time?

Mine are EC-negative and I don't use Panacur (or alternatives) at all. I only medicated if there's a diagnosed need.

why did my vets make me buy a £18 bottle of lapizole when you all use panacuur? only had one rabbit at the time?

I don't know, but I'd defo ask your vet next time you see them, it might put them on the spot! I think panacur is only about a fiver although I have never bought it!

I only give a 'one off' 28 day course of Panacur to any new Rabbit I take in. I do not give it again unless clinical symptoms of EC are apparent or if my Vet advises me to do so.

I never give just a 9 day course as IMO it is useless to do so and could lead to the Rabbit becoming resistant to treatment. I have Rabbits here who are over 10 years of age and have only ever had 0NE 28 day course of Panacur in their life.

I have followed this protocol for over 12 years and so far it has worked well. But I am not a Vet, so you need to make sure that you seek the advice of a qualified Veterinary Surgeon who regularly sees your Rabbits.

I don't know, but I'd defo ask your vet next time you see them, it might put them on the spot! I think panacur is only about a fiver although I have never bought it!

Oooh, my vet charged me £23 for panacur, i'd be delighted having to pay a fiver!!,

I agree that it shouldn't be given unless there is a reason to as advised by a vet - I personally would never give routinely - I have had my first case of EC recently in 3 years and Harley is currently on a 28 day course - his 2 hutch mates have had a 9 day preventative course but I wouldn't give routinely

I only give a 'one off' 28 day course of Panacur to any new Rabbit I take in. I do not give it again unless clinical symptoms of EC are apparent or if my Vet advises me to do so.

I never give just a 9 day course as IMO it is useless to do so and could lead to the Rabbit becoming resistant to treatment. I have Rabbits here who are over 10 years of age and have only ever had 0NE 28 day course of Panacur in their life.

I have followed this protocol for over 12 years and so far it has worked well. But I am not a Vet, so you need to make sure that you seek the advice of a qualified Veterinary Surgeon who regularly sees your Rabbits.

:thumb:

Imogen tested positive for a past infection and a more recent one of EC and I have been told to do a 28 day course every 6 months :wave:

That's expensive lapizole! Was it from the vet? It can work out cheaper than panacure, you get lots more doses so it latsa longer. I lapizole Malteser every 3 monthsband he has never relapsed. Mr Snowdrop gets 6 monthly treatment as a preventive measure as they were bonded when Malteser got sick. Poppy will join them with this. After spending £400+ on vet bills and all the stress it is better to try to prevent. All this has been okd by my vet.
As for the worming lab tests E.C isn't worms, but a parasite that attacks the brain so don't feel too assured that no worms means no E.C.

Only if they ever had pinworms. I am not convinced I would do it if they had EC or tested positive for EC, to be honest.

Back