• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How much...

Is there nowhere local where you can buy bales of hay and straw? Your cars big enough! :lol:

I dont have any where to store it :( I did used to buy bales, but during the colder months i dont trust it in the shed just incase the mice move in :shock: I probably will start getting it again in the spring when the weather warms up :) I spend a fortune :? I hope Dan never sees this thread! A few weeks ago i ordered a box of Oxbow hay for £55, if he knew, id be dead! :oops::lol: The things we do for our kids!

i must be doing this wrong. my buns cost eighty pounds a month, the pair, sometimes more. plus vets. it goes on hay (i buy too many fancy hays, i'm going to stop), veggies (they have lots of veggies) a little on insurance, a bit of megazorb...deffo over eighty.

For 5 buns

I get
1 bag megazorb £7.50
3 bales of hay £13.40
1 bag of allen and page £7 All lasts about 3 months

Insurance for 5 £50ish per month

So for 5 buns, it costs around £60 per month.

I buy a big round bale of hay for £20 & that lasts ages - I sometimes use it to top up my horses haylage too.

I get free veg from my Sainsbury's local - I also buy cheap-sale stuff from bigger supermarkets, or they have a bit of mine. I get one of those big bags of horse carrots - £1.20 once a month that lasts me a while.

Pellets - I get excel - think it's 10kg bags, for £11.50 - I def don't buy more than one a month - I'm not sure how often tbh - maybe 6weeks?

I use wood based cat litter - I bulk buy that, so haven't bought for about 2months. Newspapers I nick from work. I probably spend £50 a year on toys - over the year.

Mine are quite cheap really:D Until we get to vets bills:?:lol:

How do you manage that?! Do tell!

At the moment I buy dustfree hay or west wales for about £30.00 but last longer than a month. If I get it from a local farm shop its cheaper about £4.00 but the quality of the bale isn't so good.

Veg in the summer is free as I grow most of it but about £20.00 in winter as I try to grow what I can and an allotment holder gives me some veggies too.

Pellets £5.00

Treat hay £15.00 with some toys.

I spend about
£30-40 veg
£12 meadow hay (have to buy bagged from pet shop)
£4-8 timothy hay
£5 treats (drieds herbs etc)
dont give pellets very often so a 3kg bag of ss last about 2 months
vet bills are the killer nearly £1500 in the last 6 months
try and make toys myself
But i go without so i can spend money on my babies so my oh cant complain! ;)

I get hay and newspapers free
Veg is free in summer but in winter about £5 a week
The cost of pellets is negligible because they get such a tiny amount
Insurance about £9 per bun per month

Can't remember the cost of vaccs and below-insurance-claim-level vet fees.

I'm honestly not too sure! I've only had Archie for 3months now and Leo for about 6weeks.

Not really given me enough time to get into a routine and I'm stilll in the experimental stage with beddings ... plus about six different types of food for Leo! They've cost me a small fortune already though!

Back