• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How much veg?

katie2000

Alpha Buck
I am confused about how much veg to give my bunnies and I have done lots of research, some which tells me to feed a little veg as a treat and some which tells me to feed at least a large bowl :?

Blackberry gets a teaspoon of pellets per day (she is a dental bun), unlimited hay and then at least 2 types of veg in the evening. Yesterday night I gave her 1 large floret of brocolli and 3 sprigs of mint and tonight I will give her something different but im similar quantity. Do you think she will be getting enough nutrients? I always feed her a good variety of veg (something different every night of the week) but I never feed her very much of it. Any advice??

I think the answer to this will vary from person to person and from bun to bun!

First stick to the diet rule of 90% hay, 10% pellets and veg.

Its good to feed a variety of veg.

If bun is eating as much hay as he should then perhaps you could increase the veg a little, keeping an eye for tummy trouble and on hay consumption - if he's a dental bun you won't want to reduce that in any way.

I think it varies from bun to bun. Mine get a bowl per pair but they have always been good hay eaters and had very tollerant tummys, which I know is not the case in some buns. If what you are feeding works for you then stick to it. You are varying the veg anyway so I don't see why she wont get all the nutrients she needs.

My bunnies get endless hay, a very limited amount of pellets, and about four-five cups of vegetables a day. 3/4 in the morning 1/1.5 a night.

They are free roaming rabbits that run around all day and I play fetch with them every night until they can no longer run. Rabbits with this much exercise can live healthy with this many veggies, but most rabbits should get 2 cups of vegetables, unlimited hay, and 1-2oz of pellets a day depending on how long they spend out of the cage.

I only put out 2-3oz of pellets for each of my rabbits every four days. The hay is really important for their delicate systems.

I feed mine small amounts of veg. A leaf of green or some florets of broccoli, some carrot. They eat lots of hay too. Mine get upset tums with too much veg.

Thanks to everyone for your replies :wave: I think I will just stick with her veg as it is for now and see how we get on, I don't want to overdo it with her as she has a delicate little tummy :)

Mine have a 5" pet bowl full with chopped veg to share, twice a day. I don't know if this is the right amount but it seems to work ok for them :) I usually get 5-6 different things each week to give them some variety, depends what I can get hold of - mine are tolerant of variation in their diet whereas some rabbits would be more sensitive to it and could get upset tummies. so it's very dependent on the individuals. :)

Back