• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How much veg for my ickle one!?

FudgeMallow

Mama Doe
I want to know how much veg Fudge should be getting a day as i dont know if im giving too much or not enough!

She gets fed veg in the morning and evening, Morning is usually:
Half an inch of carrot, a leaf of spring green and a small piece of broccoli with a big pile of different hays!
Evening is: Another half inch of carrot, a leaf of spring green, half a leaf of savoy cabbage or green cabbage and 3 times a week 2 strands of fresh mint with a teaspoon of A&P!

Is this too much or ok to give everyday?
She doesnt eat much hay (small amount) and i feel if i reduce veg her molars will grow long again :?

Oh and she is 2kg and a mini lop :D:wave:

Not sure to be honest. Maybe cut out the carrot?

Mine have (and they are betwween 1.5 and 2kg) a leaf of spring greens in the morning, with a little brocoli/ curly kale/ spinach (whichever I have in) and the evening a bit of carrot and carrot top, or a sprout.

I *think* that the greens and leafy veg are better for teeth than say carrots and stuff.

Ok thanks i will cut out carrot in the morning and introduce something else!
She had a very sore tummy before i started using A&P and have slowly introduced veg longer than usual so its taken a while :?:D

Any suggestions for a new veg? I cant give kale as it makes her a bit bloaty/gassy so avoiding that!

Thanks again :D:wave:

I wouldn't give her carrot everyday. I'd say a variety of fruit and veg across the week is best, and usually a cup full a day is plenty.

Try adding in a bit of fruit as an occasional treat, mine loves banana with the skin, a bit of apple or a grape. Also cherry tomatoes, sprouts, curly kale, and dill go down well!

I always think variety is the best way to go, but have a read up on calcium and sugar levels of various veg and fruit, this will help you be certain that you're not feeding them too much of calcium high foods etc. For example Spinach, Parsley and Curly Kale are high in calcium and Carrot is high in sugars, so you should feed them in moderation. Hope that helps.

Obviously wean them on to anything new slowly to avoid upset tummies.

I wouldn't give her carrot everyday. I'd say a variety of fruit and veg across the week is best, and usually a cup full a day is plenty.

Try adding in a bit of fruit as an occasional treat, mine loves banana with the skin, a bit of apple or a grape. Also cherry tomatoes, sprouts, curly kale, and dill go down well!

I always think variety is the best way to go, but have a read up on calcium and sugar levels of various veg and fruit, this will help you be certain that you're not feeding them too much of calcium high foods etc. For example Spinach, Parsley and Curly Kale are high in calcium and Carrot is high in sugars, so you should feed them in moderation. Hope that helps.

Obviously wean them on to anything new slowly to avoid upset tummies.

I have tried banana, strawberry, grape, apple and she doesnt like any of them :? I have bought some spinach to try as a new veg so hopefully she will like :)

She used to get carrot 3 times a week but my vet said to double her veg intake as she doesnt eat much hay and has to get dentals! So instead of giving her too much carrot 3 times a week i cut it to a half inch everyday :? hmmm....might have to talk to him next time i see him!
her dentals have shortened to every 4 weeks to every 8weeks (so far) since increasing veg and she has started eating hay :D

Thanks again most appreciated :D:wave:

Back