• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How much do you spend on your buns each month?

megansmummy

Mama Doe
Having just been thinking out my next H4P's order I just wondered how much everyone spends on their buns for a month? I was thinking that so many people think they are cheap pets to have and keep but I couldnt disagree more (when they are looked after properly!).

I order 3x 9.5kg from H4P's and that along with two farm bales does my two almost three months! So thats £56 for hay that will ast aprox 3 months so around £19 per month in hay...pellets I bought a 10kg sack for £18 so that should last 10 months...possibly more! Insurance is £12 per month for both. Then I buy them fresh herbs weekly on the shopping...possible £3 per week or so. I also buy dried herbs from the hay expert and they are amost £3 a pop and one lasts us two weeks. So thats £19 in hay, £12 in insurance, £1.80 on pellets, £12 on fresh herbs and £6 on dried herbs...so £50.80 per month for two buns! They get the odd fen crunchy too but I dont know how much thats costs per month oh and the same goes for apple sticks from fluffers!! ;)

I tend to use free newspaper for the litter tray but I would have to add litter to that if I needed it!

Maybe they ought to get used to farm hay only as its only £4.50 per bale!!! :lol:

Last edited:
I agree that rabbits are not cheap pets. I really have no idea how much I spend monthly on Julie but I know that it is a lot. The pellets, hay and bunny treats isn't that much compared to what I spend on fresh greens. I have to buy her the best. It has to be organic too so not cheap then there are the toys and new beds and what not and the money spent on bunny proofing and re bunny proofing once she figures it out. Of course vet bills. I don't have pet insurance. We have been lucky with Julie not getting sick too often but of course it is out of hours. The emergency vet especially for a rabbit is ridiculous and of course she then has to go to the good vet latter.

Regular things are only a tenner a month: £6.50 hay and £3.50 pellets. Newspapers are free and I forage for greens on the allotments. Vets bills though work out around £50 a month averaged over the year based on last year's total, and then there are odds and ends like natural balls, treats, apple sticks, treat hays, etc. I've been making my own blankets from odds and ends around the house. I want to buy the lionheads a play rug from Ikea some time soon for a tenner.

I have to keep costs low though, I don't really have an option.

I worked out the costs as £7/bun/ month so £42 same for the cats £7 x 3 so £21

George horse costs a bit more :oops:

My new bunnies are a right fussy pair they wont eat 'farm hay':evil: So I now buy allsorts to satisfy them!

So last week I bought a 4k bag of pellets which will last a couple of months that was about £5
1 x 1kg bag of excel hay with dandilion and marigoldat £4.79! but its cheaper if they like it to buy online
1 x 500g bag of excel with bark which they are going mad on that was £2.79
1 x 500g bag of vitaverde with peppermint £2.50

So £2.50 for the pellets
15.00 approx for the hay for the month
and then straw for the hutch about £1 a week so not really going to count that.
then veg which I dont count cos they eat all our bits and my neighbours leave 'bunny bags' on the wall, so all in I reckon to feed them is top side £20 per month so £240pa plus vhd x2 and mixi x4 cos we have to have it twice a year here so about £340 in total a year without any unexpected vet trips.

Dont even get me on how much my cats cost a year, just glad my husband doesnt read my RU posts or he could be rehoming he just doesnt get this animal thing:lol:

Recently, a lot less.

~£30/mo hay
~50p/mo pellets (6 each per day)
~£10/mo herbs

To be honest, thats probably about it, as Ginger's stabilised a LOT so our vet bills are negligible.

Hopefully, we can stick to it now.

It's too early - and has been too tumultous - for me to have a true average. For the last three months of 2011 it averaged about £500 per month including vet bills and setup costs. It was frightening and upsetting TBH.

This month, including a planned imminent purchase, it should be around £35 (much of which was for a one-off item) because I had such a lot of hay in the house already.
I shouldn't need to buy any hay or pellets next month either.

£30 a month for the trio, that is hay and pellets mainly, as most of my veggies are freebies from the kitchen at work. The Lops cost £22.50 before I got Arran, add him on and he makes it up to about £30 exactly.

um Im a bit skint at the mo as im on maternity leave so just the essentials

I spend a month...
£40 insurance
£4 pellets
£5.50 bale of hay
£12 Veg / herbs

Usually its a bit more as I buy willow toys, apple sticks etc but I have been making my own toys so havent had to pay out that much

I'll add it up when it's just Sweep, but in a few weeks time hopefully *fingers crossed* we will have another bunny coming home so obviously the cost will increase a bit.

Large hay bale £7.50 lasts 2 months
Speciality hays maybe £10 a month (shared with the piggies so hard to calculate)
Food not much!!! He gets 10 SS pellets a day
Herbs perhaps £5 a month at the moment as I got a bulk load off Amazon at a bargain price :thumb:
Greens sadly not much as they don't agree with his tum, he gets the occasional spring green leaf

Obviously that is excluding toys, blankets, etc that I buy ad hoc (and his new run which I've just bought too!)

£10 on sack of pellets £5 x 2 bales, and £7.50 megazorb x 2
Veggies and herbs zero as it's food we buy for ourselves and they get the leftovers :)
I don't think that's a lot - same as my phone bill lol it's the vet bills where it hurts! Vaccinations and illnesses!

Last edited:
Mine have cost me a fortune so far. We had the indoor hutch then nic cubes as I wanted them to have more space, vaccinations and spaying I estimate that's around £550 before everything else is factored in.

I haven't looked at how much a month I'm spending now I just buy stuff when I need it

Ooh its really interesting to read what others spend! :) Our vaccs are £60 per bunny per year (2xmyxo, 1VHD, worming and 2 check ups per bun). Spaying cost us £110 for both.

Its the monthly cost that I was shocked when I added up! I really could do with trying to trim that down a bit...both my girls love the farm hay and dont seem picky with hay but I feel bad not ofering a variety! :roll:

i dread to think! since i got honey ive spent loads on vet bills-could have been worse though.

on basics- £15-£20 per month thats for hay.
the pellets have lasted over 6months so far and i have a half bag left

wait i forgot about litter! £20 on litter so 40 per month

alot!

hay - £30
megazorb - £4.24
probiotics - £12.94
fresh herbs - i'm really shocked now i have worked this out - £115.00! :shock: i get twelve from sainsburys and then we top up another twelve in the week! :shock:this is for the buns and piggies though and it's because bisc and matt can't have any other veg, and loads go off and we end up throwing them away. i tried growing some but it didn't work. this amount is ridiculous though. i'm really shocked.
dried herbs - £10 if hayexperts, £20 if galens garden
newspapers - free
parvolex and hypertonic saline - £77.78
gentamicin - £46 (usually every month, sometimes every month and a bit)

so £245.72 - £305.96 (then some months vaccs aswell or vets bills)

now i can see why we have no money for other things!

eta: oh nooo, i didn't add in the metacam either! that's about £21.00 a month. i'm so shocked because this is just the buns. if i added the piggies costs aswell i think i would faint. we basically pay the rent and bills and then everything else goes on the pets. we don't spend anything on ourselves. hardly ever.

eta: missed out syringes aswell!

Last edited:
Its usually about £50-60 a month.
-Hay £10
-Pellets £10
-Litter £10
-Woodshavings £6
-Fresh herbs £10 approx
-Treats + Toys £10-14...

However last month I had to stage a rescue mission from Prague as I had given the petsitter the wrong front door key. His time for the whole day it took 4 locksmiths to break in and the locksmith bill came to £300 (+ a million panic attacks before I knew they d been rescued and were getting fresh food and water!!).

Phewy, bunnies bunnie bunnies = monies monies monies :)

I'm not sure, I try to stick to £50 a month for them excluding vets bills, but I dont often manage it. I've found some baled hay they like now and I dont buy fresh veg/herbs especially for them anymore, so they are getting cheaper.

Back