• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How much Birch is too much?

William

Wise Old Thumper
My bunnies have taken a liking to fresh river birch twigs, I don't give them loads but for the past few days they've been eating a bit of birch everyday and I wanted to make sure that's ok?

I read that it's good for chewing, pain relief and anti-inflammatory and I found this "Birch tree (Betula pendula): Rabbits like to nibble at fresh birch twigs. Birch is diuretic, stimulates kidneys and metabolism, it dehydrates, detoxifies and cleans the skin. Birch doesn't affect the kidneys in long-term use (unlike juniper, lovage and watercress)."

Sounds all very positive except for the 'dehydrates the skin' part, unless I'm reading that wrong? And I suppose being a diuretic isn't a bad thing?

I imagine a bit (like a foot-long twig, maybe?) every day isn't going to be too much, as long as they've got water AND drink it! Mine gets raspberry and/or blackberry practically every day and that's an astringent!

Thanks! Yeah he (Ben is the only one that likes them now) eats about a foot long twig most days and he seems to know when to stop eating it e.g. he only wants a certain amount per day. So I guess I'll continue it for now as long as he seems to be drinking enough and everything :)

Back