• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

how many times has your insurance paid out for a dental.

It's weird because when I insured Rudy and told them that he'd had one dental they said that he wouldn't be covered for dentals because he has history. Therefore you would assume that if he hadn't got history he would be covered, otherwise they should have said, "We don't pay out for molar spur burring at all"..... leaving me with the impression that they do as long as there's no pre-existing history :?

Another thought - why would they put exclusions on Rudy for molar spur burring if they don't cover it anyway -there would be no need to make it an exclusion if they have a blanket policy of not paying out :?

Alvin was 8 weeks old when i started his insurance july 2007. it was may 2009 when he needed the dental :?

if he ever needs another one ill still send the claim form just incase they forget what they said :lol::lol:

It says in the policy they will not cover anything to 'prevent an injury or illness' so perhaps when it's preventative, like filing teeth down to stop future problems, it's not covered?

One things for sure, you can't rely on them paying out, best to save a bit too!

its a strange one... guess it depends on who processes the claim :?
Alvin had the dental because he had stasis the week before

It says in the policy they will not cover anything to 'prevent an injury or illness' so perhaps when it's preventative, like filing teeth down to stop future problems, it's not covered?

One things for sure, you can't rely on them paying out, best to save a bit too!

That could be the key to the wording - bunny stopped eating = emergency dental as opposed to preventative care.

I tried to get this clear when I took up PetPlan insurance - though getting anything clear with them seems to be a struggle.

Verbally they told me that the rabbit must have had a dental exam (ie had his teeth looked at by the vet and presumably logged in the notes) at least once within 12 months of the claim and the treatment given must be deemed necessary by the vet, ie not "cosmetic" or "routine". I was also told if in doubt claim, they'll always consider it.

Although in my booklet, the covered for life policy Section 1A 14 states they will not pay for "The cost of trimming,burring or rasping rabbit teeth" From what I have been told I consider that to mean "routine trimming, burring or rasping" and should the need ever arise I would despute this all the way.

My advise would be never to take anything they say as gospel unless you get it in writing - also always deal with the customer services/complaint dept never sales as they all tell you something different.

That could be the key to the wording - bunny stopped eating = emergency dental as opposed to preventative care.

Definitely. Also, the dental wouldn't be the primary illness/injury, it would be treatment as a result of. I wonder if there are ways of getting round this?

I'm thinking people who have had one, then get told they won't cover anymore is if it's stipulated that further dentals will be needed in the future to prevent the initial illness recurring.

Definitely. Also, the dental wouldn't be the primary illness/injury, it would be treatment as a result of. I wonder if there are ways of getting round this?

I'm thinking people who have had one, then get told they won't cover anymore is if it's stipulated that further dentals will be needed in the future to prevent the initial illness recurring.

I have to say, nothing has been mentioned like this to me, I got my Cheque last week for Frankie's dental before Christmas , should i espect a letter stating such?

No, his first one was just before Christmas. However from readin on here I do try to avoid the words dental and filing. I also mentioned his symptoms. In addition to that. my vet sends the claim for, I don't know if that has a influence

I thought what Bunny Buddy said ^^^ that they will not cover pre exisiting, but will cover new.

Nope, not the case at all. Even if the bunny doesn't have pre-existing dental problems, the insurers would not pay for any dental/burring/cutting.

Last edited:
I have to say, nothing has been mentioned like this to me, I got my Cheque last week for Frankie's dental before Christmas , should i espect a letter stating such?

mine was written on the back.. where it says how they came to thier decision..thw break down of the claim amount and what theyve paid

:oops::oops: Just fished it out of the bin:oops: I had a problem with Cherry's policy in November, she was put on Charlie, Sophie and Granite's policy number, which meant her policy started 3 weeks later than I took the policy out. Anyway, they refunded me that money paid, and asked me to pay them in back on the new policy:roll: I should really read things that come through my door:roll:

Anyway. I with draw all previous comments. I am STILL waiting for a decision :roll:

he had gone really skinny, the vet found a couple of tiny spurrs. She said had he not of stopped eating she wouln't have thought there was cause for concern, if you see what I mean

he had gone really skinny, the vet found a couple of tiny spurrs. She said had he not of stopped eating she wouln't have thought there was cause for concern, if you see what I mean

So the teeth problems caused the problem, that's why they paid out.

This issue had been discussed before here...

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=190727&highlight=petplan+dentals

It's so annoying that they don't actually pay out for dentals on their own and the poor bun has to be ill beforehand :roll: I'm guessing they won't pay out for 2 in a year too, only as a 'goodwill gesture' for the first one :roll:

This is one of the reasons I decided against insurance.

It says in the terms that they won't pay for teeth filing, dental work etc. People have mentioned that they will pay if it's an emergency rather than routine treatment, but how many of us take our bunnies in for teeth filing unless it's absolutely necessary?

We don't get their teeth trimmed every few mths, just like we would their nails - it's always done because there is a need. Does that mean you have to wait until the bunny stops eating (and therefore becomes an emergency) before getting the work done, even if you spot it sooner? :?

This is one of the reasons I decided against insurance.

It says in the terms that they won't pay for teeth filing, dental work etc. People have mentioned that they will pay if it's an emergency rather than routine treatment, but how many of us take our bunnies in for teeth filing unless it's absolutely necessary?

We don't get their teeth trimmed every few mths, just like we would their nails - it's always done because there is a need. Does that mean you have to wait until the bunny stops eating (and therefore becomes an emergency) before getting the work done, even if you spot it sooner? :?

Basically yes. It cannot be done as a preventative treatment, which, let's be honest, most dentals are :roll:

Answer for Frankies Dental work.

As with others

"your pet insurance does not cover the cost of trimming teeth. We have included the cost of your claim settlement because the treatment is connected to the diagnosis. Although we have paid this cost on this claim we will not be able to help you for any future claims for timming your rabbit's teeth" grrrrr

I, like others have said, don't have insurance because Travis has dentals every 12 weeks, and as far as I've always been concerned, no insurance would cover it.

In an ideal world I'd have a bank account opened specifically for my buns, and would pay into that the equivalent of a monthly insurance premium to help to cover some of my vet bills. - at least that way there'd be no clauses!

Petplan paid for Benny's first dental as a one-off and made it clear that they wouldn't do it again.

In my mind insurance is still worth it, as before Christmas Cherry had a series of tests to investigate why she was drinking so much. Xrays, blood test and urine tests came to £270 which I wouldn't be able to afford otherwise.

Back