• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How many people's buns are totally fine with being picked up?

With dreamer he was so nervous to start with, i have handled him alot and made sure i gave him his favourite treat whilst i was holding him and obviously lots of fuss and tinkles behind his ears which he loves and now he doesnt think its such a bad thing :lol:

All of my 7 are fine in the way that they wont kick and tolerate it pretty well, i would say some enjoy it. But Giles does like to nip my boobs, so i have to carry him facing away from me and shove a treat in his mouth to distract him :lol:

The buns I have now are ok to handle... My Bridge bun Eclipse however was a different kettle of fish... he was a crazy bunny and the only time I could ever give him a proper snuggle was when he was dying :cry::cry:

I've never had a bun who didn't like it!:roll: They're too soppy. It's probably because as young buns I always have picked them up, and they've got used to it!! Ted Loves it, but Hugo was the best. He'd lie in my arms for hours!!

Biscuit hates it and ends up doing kamikaze leaps from your arms:shock:...I used to have to run to the sofa when I lost my grip so she could leap on something soft, and then just realised that it wasn't going to happen!

I pick her up when I absolutely have to. She comes for fuss and sits with us and is very affectionate. I think she may have a problem with heights though! :roll:

Patch hates it. If she thinks we're going to pick her up she runs under her hutch, or into the shed. If we do manage to get hold of her, she wriggles and kicks. She'll calm a little if we hold her upside down and fuss her, but you can tell she's tense.

She much prefers fussing and petting from the ground. Though I've now got her to the point where she'll hop onto my leg if I'm sitting on the floor.:)

Daisy won't stand for it - she struggles and scratches to get away. Jester doesn't seem to mind and I can pick him easily, but even so I'm sure he prefers strokes and fuss while he has all four paws on the ground.

Both of mine are happy to flop out next to me on the floor for strokes and noserubs, and will sit on my lap sometimes too, so I always do that :D

Blue loves it......He goes to sleep and grooms me while I carry him.
He doesn't mind going to other people for cuddles either, he really is a softy (ask Hetty :lol:) :love: I've had him from a baby though and he was picked up and fussed all the time when he was tiny.
Ollie and Bea were/are completely different though, Bea hates it (except at the vets) and with Ollie, I had just become able to pick her up when she went to the bridge.

Blue loves it......He goes to sleep and grooms me while I carry him.
He doesn't mind going to other people for cuddles either, he really is a softy (ask Hetty :lol:) :love: I've had him from a baby though and he was picked up and fussed all the time when he was tiny.
Ollie and Bea were/are completely different though, Bea hates it (except at the vets) and with Ollie, I had just become able to pick her up when she went to the bridge.

Ditto! I think it can make a world of difference if they are well handled as kits!! Sets them up to enjoy human contact, and picking up!

Ditto! I think it can make a world of difference if they are well handled as kits!! Sets them up to enjoy human contact, and picking up!

I'm surprised that Patch hates it as much as she does. The breeder's we got her from (very nice people, loved all their animals) had a son who was constantly picking up and fussing all the buns and piggies, so she was handled by him loads from birth.

Um, well!

Once they're actually held none of my five will freak out. Two of them (my two boys) seem to enjoy the view and actually 'sit' in my arms and wash my neck or face as we walk. :love: I really think Amber, my lionhead cross, has a fear of heights sometimes, as she hides her head and manically licks at who ever's neck as if holding her as if for reassurance. Until the last few months, I have a lop eared girly who would wriggle, but more in an impatient, put-me-down, I dislike being made to feel like a powerless little bunny kind of way. :lol: It's freaky though, because these past few months she's become a model bunny when it comes to handling and I'm very impressed!

Trying to pick them up can be trickier. And it's not because they're scared, they just seem to really like making me - or my mum! - crawl into hutches after them, spin around or blunder clumsily about reaching for them. They're all capable of sitting neatly and letting us pick them up, but bunnies have to have their laughs too, apparently! :evil: :lol:

I'm surprised that Patch hates it as much as she does. The breeder's we got her from (very nice people, loved all their animals) had a son who was constantly picking up and fussing all the buns and piggies, so she was handled by him loads from birth.

hmm...it really depends. Children can be heavy handed with buns, even when not meaning to, so Patch could have had a bad experience. Hormones can cause a short period when they don't want to be picked up (Ted went though one). How do you pick him up? Close to your body?!:)

This was actually an older child, around 20 or so (I believe he had Down's) and he was quite gentle with them. I tend to pick her her under the chest and bum and cradle her upside down against my body or upright right next to my stomach and chest. I'm always close to the ground near something soft so if she does go beserk, it's not far down. Is there a better way to do it? I'd love tips, as I would love to be able to cuddle with her.

This was actually an older child, around 20 or so (I believe he had Down's) and he was quite gentle with them. I tend to pick her her under the chest and bum and cradle her upside down against my body or upright right next to my stomach and chest. I'm always close to the ground near something soft so if she does go beserk, it's not far down. Is there a better way to do it? I'd love tips, as I would love to be able to cuddle with her.

Oh then, I'm sure she was brought up well!! :D

Just give her time! She'll come around, but never force her to!:)

Mine will tolerate it. They don't move away when I pick them up either, so I know they don't dislike it. Faline just puts up with it though and doesn't really like it but I think Molly doesn't mind and likes to get a snuggle.

of the 5 other buns I've had only one of them liked being picked up and was quite content (but had known him since a newborn kitten) and one of them absolutely hated it!

Louie will tolerate it, definately doesn't love it though. He wriggles too much and ends up sitting on my shoulder :roll:

Back