• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

how many people on here worm their bunies?..

forgive me for being stupid but what are the symptoms of E.C ? :oops: :oops:

This seems to be up for debate because some things some say are symptoms, others say aren't, etc. And the majority of symptoms have to come in place with another symptom because most symptoms can also be something else.

There are some good links about.

i worm mine when they go for there vacc, this is when there immune system will be low due to stress. People have different opinions and i know some rabbits tummys disagree with worming, depends on each individual buns :)

Not to be disugsting but what do poo's with worms in look like. Has anyone got a picture, just so I know for the future? :)

I think the overlap between treating for worms and treating for E cuniculi (a protozoal parasite) causes confusion.

Worming:
Worms are rarely associated with problems in rabbits. Most rabbits have very low numbers and no associated problems. There is no need to treat routinely. I would only treat if there were adult worms seen in the poo suggesting an imbalance in the host-parasite relationship and abnormally increased worm numbers. Panacur rabbit is licensed for treating for roundworms. Tapeworm are very rare in poo and need different treatment so it is worth getting a poo sample checked by a vet/lab to ensure treatment is correct for the worm present.

Treating for E cuniculi:
A 9 day course will not get rid of this parasite. A 28 day course is recommended based on research and is believed to clear the parasite. Treatment does not prevent re-infection so if rabbits are then mixed with others that are not treated then they cannot be considered 'clear' of EC still.
The negative aspect (asides from 28days of syringing medication!) of a long course of panacur is that it can suppress the immune system so should be used with care in rabbits that are not 100% healthy or at the same time as vaccinations.

My protocol is to treat rabbits when young to try and get rid of EC before it causes problems. They have their vaccinations and one week later start the 28day course. They have been in their home for several weeks and had two vet checks by then so health problems should be noted if present before treatment starts. Any new rabbits are treated before being introduced into the group to keep an EC free group. Once treated they don't need repeat courses unless they have been exposed to other bunnies that haven't been kept clear.
Everyone has different opinions on this though and I know a lot of vets will use different protocols based on their interpretation of research findings and experience.
Marie

My vet advised me the same as Marie has said.

I Panacured mine once for 28 days after they had been boarding, bleach cleaning on days 1, 21 and 28 to break the cycle of reinfection as a precaution against EC.

If they went boarding again or I introduced a new rabbit I would do another 28 day course for everyone.

Back