• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How long for gut stasis

RinnyRin

Warren Scout
Hey again

I’m just wondering how long does it take to recover from gut stasis? Ivy seems all over the place right now and I’m just not sure if this is normal or not as I’ve only been through one other instance of stasis and that was different.

Essentially, Ivy was her normal self a few days back. About an hour before the instance she was happily munching and came for a treat off me. Suddenly when I went to give them supper, she was hunched over in pain, belly pressing, refusing food.

I admit my mistake here and didn’t take her to the vets right away because I had some loxicom and metaclopramide, so I gave her a half dose of each and she perked up again.

The next day I half dosed her again. she was pretty much fine most of the day.

The next morning (24 hours post 2nd dose) she started eating and then suddenly stopped and was hunched over in pain. I half dosed her and made a vet appointment. She was fine for the rest of the day.

The same occurred the next day as the day before so I gave her a half dose of both again.

We went to the vet the following day and they gave me a different gut medication. They determined that she seemed okay, no dental problems, no bloating or hard tummy, glucose was basically normal…

She did have slowish gut sounds…

Anyway they advised me to give her the recommended doses of loxicom and gut medicine, they said as she was responding to 24 hourly that that would be fine (but I can do morning and night doses if needs be) and to stop when I feel like she is doing okay.

But this morning she was hunched over in pain again…is this normal? Should I be doing morning and night meds? Should I take her back in? I want to avoid too much stress for her seeing as stress can just make everything worse.

I'm sorry she's not back to normal yet. It can take quite a while, and there can be ups and downs like you're having with Ivy. I wonder if she needs a higher/more frequent dosage of her meds to get through it, since she keeps going back to not eating and being hunched. Personally, I'd take her back and would want more diagnostics done to see about a possible cause, like an x-ray. Sending poor Ivy lots of vibes.

Thank you for the advice [emoji3526][emoji3526] I’m gonna keep an eye on and maybe try out more meds first and if after a few days she isn’t making any improvements I’m going to take her back in…I feel awful but I don’t think I can financially take her back in until pay day.

We have insurance but the excess is £50. Her recent appointment was £65. I know it’s not loads of money but I don’t have work at this time of year and my partners job slows down too. [emoji3525]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

She is back to normal again now after meds about 30-40 mins ago. Like nothing ever happened.

Gut stasis is often a secondary symptom of another problem. So unless the primary problem is addressed the gut stasis won’t resolve.

Is she having a good fluid intake ? Fluids are an essential part of the treatment for gut stasis. Personally I always give fluids either subcutaneously or IV as well as orally ( under the supervision of my Vet). Good fluid therapy insures that the gut contents are well hydrated and thus easier to break down and pass through.

If she has an impacted cecum and is on Domperidone she might be getting griping pains in her lower GI tract. Domperidone increases the motility of the cecum.

What is her urine output like ? Bladder problems can present with episodes of abdominal pain, anorexia and gut stasis.

Gut stasis is often a secondary symptom of another problem. So unless the primary problem is addressed the gut stasis won’t resolve.

Is she having a good fluid intake ? Fluids are an essential part of the treatment for gut stasis. Personally I always give fluids either subcutaneously or IV as well as orally ( under the supervision of my Vet). Good fluid therapy insures that the gut contents are well hydrated and thus easier to break down and pass through.

If she has an impacted cecum and is on Domperidone she might be getting griping pains in her lower GI tract. Domperidone increases the motility of the cecum.

What is her urine output like ? Bladder problems can present with episodes of abdominal pain, anorexia and gut stasis.

This is something I’m worried about. Why is she like this? Did she get spooked or is it something bigger…

I’ve been giving her some fluid via syringe when I give her medication. She has also been drinking from their water dish as well.

As for urine output…

They both go in their litter box so it’s hard to differentiate the two. I noticed this morning there were two small white pee stains on one of the mats. On top of that I do feel like their litter smelled stronger this morning as well…

I don’t know if it bares any weight at all but she is going through a moult right now and I don’t know if that can put them in a bit of a funk or not. She is being groomed daily and there hasn’t been any signs of strung together droppings either.

Did the Vet rule out bladder sludge ? The mention of chalky wee stains outside of the litter tray and the stronger smelling wee might be indicative of bladder sludge and/ or a UTI

Moulting should not be a primary cause of gut stasis, but a Rabbit who already has a reduced gut motility is likely to struggle if they ingest a lot of fur. Thus slowing the GI tract down more.

Did the Vet rule out bladder sludge ? The mention of chalky wee stains outside of the litter tray and the stronger smelling wee might be indicative of bladder sludge and/ or a UTI

Moulting should not be a primary cause of gut stasis, but a Rabbit who already has a reduced gut motility is likely to struggle if they ingest a lot of fur. Thus slowing the GI tract down more.

They did not. In fact they never asked me about it and I never thought to ask about it either. Would they have been able to feel anything when feeling her stomach? [emoji848]

What would you suggest I do?

If you can collect a urine sample your vet may be willing to check for sludge or uti without a return visit, unless x rays are needed.
I do twice a day medicam.
How does output look? If hydration good ,fresh poo should be friable-crumbles when rubbed between fingers.
As Jane said, Bunnies usually pass fur if good motility, so fur becomes issue and exacerbates issue if gut motility already slow.
Gut stasis can be a roller coaster, yet I do not recommend waiting days for vet follow up unless you speak to vet. It can quickly become an emergency.

If you can collect a urine sample your vet may be willing to check for sludge or uti without a return visit, unless x rays are needed.
How does output look? If hydration good ,fresh poo should be friable-crumbles when rubbed between fingers.
As Jane said, Bunnies usually pass fur if good motility, so fur becomes issue and exacerbates issue if gut motility already slow.
Gut stasis can be a roller coaster, yet I do not recommend waiting days for vet follow up unless you speak to vet. It can quickly become an emergency.

Any advice on how to collect a sample? [emoji848]

Nevermind. A simple google search helped with knowing how to collect. [emoji4]

Rodney had bladder sludge last year and slow gut sounds.

His pee was white and pasty like but also he shuffled in the loo while peeing and squinted in pain. He had an xray to confirm as they wanted to check everything.

He had a bladder flush and so far with a reduction of spring greens and parsley from his diet and more drinking thanks to copying Blossom it doesn't seem to have reoccurred.

Twice a day painkillers seem to work much better for him.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

fb3eaa5abb1cc574cfc5e31326ab1334.jpg

This is a silly Q and I know the image quality isn’t perfect but does this look like an uncomfortable bun?

I seldom see either laid like this honestly. They are keen loafers. Leafy may very occasionally flop.

I’ve spoken to a vet and asked if I can take in a urine sample rather than take her in, to avoid stress. Hopefully we’ll have a sample and I’ll run to the vet before closing this evening. [emoji51][emoji51]

I hope you get Bunny sorted and she gets back to normal. Reading through your post, it sounds like there is more going on than Stasis.

I hope you get Bunny sorted and she gets back to normal. Reading through your post, it sounds like there is more going on than Stasis.

Thank you. I will keep you up to date with progress. Thank you so much for the support. [emoji3590]

We have an improved bun bun! I noticed that she wouldn’t go into the litter box at the same time as Leafy but they are currently munching together in there.

She is on twice daily meds at the minute and it seems to have helped massively. Her urine was fine too, a lovely yellow colour lol!

Glad she is improving. Sending vibes she continues to improve.
She is very pretty and that is a cute litterbox.

Last edited:
Back