• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

how long does it take for new rescue bunnies to settle in

Hi, :wave:

just wondered if anyone could help. I picked up 2 rescue bunnies a week ago Barney who is 2 and Bunty 1 1/2 they were reported to be very friendly, which they are but seem quite timid since bringing them home, they just hide whenever i go into there house going into their carrier/bed and almost turning their back on me. They will sniff at extended hand and have taken food from my hand and seem ok with being stroked when can get to them, ive picked Bunty up a couple of times and she wriggles a bit then settles, but picked Barney up for the first time yesterday and he wasnt to keen and bit my thigh, just a little nip to say put me down, im worried he doesnt like me and that if i try to pick him up again he will bite me. Am i being impatient and expecting too much too soon, im just concerned that if i leave them too long without picking them up that it will get more difficult in time. I need to check their bottoms and dont know how to do this if cant pick them up. I have actually go their 1st vet appointment for myx vaccination and health check so i can ask her advice i just wondered if anyone could put my mind at rest, knowing how rabbit savvy you all are:p:wave:

Bunnies need lots of time to get used to you.

One of the best ways is to just sit with them and let them 'explore' you without you trying to touch them :)

Also feeding them by hand is good.

It may take several more weeks before they are less timid, maybe months before they are fully relaxed around you, but it is well worth the wait :)

I must be lucky then

I rescued 2y/o Max yesterday and apart from slightly irritating nocturnal activity, he's a star like he's always been here jumpin up on sofa, follows me around and lay flat out next to me at one point when I sat on the carpet.
So yeh definately try to just sit near and let them come to you.

Most rabbits do not like to be picked up. The best thing to do is sit on the floor and let them come to you and stroke them. If you give them a tasty treat of a little bit of cabbage or dandelion leaf, they will soon associate you with noms and come to you. If doing a bum check, just swiftly pick them up, turn them up so you can see their bits and , straight back down, before they even know whats happened! I've 2 rescues, and after a year, they still don't like to be picked up, but I just go in to the shed meaning business, and its all done and they are back to eating and doing bun things without any probs. The other pair of rescues I have, would sit all day while I stroke them and make a fuss of them. Some rabbits like cuddles, others don't, and I just respect their wishes.:)

Thank you, they are settling in, but like you said they will possibly never like being picked up. Bunty is much better as she is smaller and easier to hold but Barney is just too stong and wriggles out. Trying to give them their worming medicine was a laugh, had to give up:oops: I will perserve with getting them used to me so it is easier for bottom checks:D

Back