• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How Long Ago Were your Girls Spayed?

My Honey was done as soon as I got her from rescue she was about 1, she is 4 years old this year.
My last doe before Honey I had done as soon as I rescued her, her age was unknown. A couple of years later she developed breast cancer and had an operation to have her breast and the cancer removed. She had a couple more operations as she developed some other lumps on her tummy but they weren't cancer thank goodness just scar & dead tissue. She lived for nearly 2 years after her op for the cancer.
My conclusion is that spaying is a good thing to stop the uterine cancer but doesn't stop them from developing breast cancer unfortunately.

Two of my girls died before I could get them done but their surviving sister Mona and Ebonnie were done 4 years ago. Bonnie and Karmella were done 3 years ago and Rowanberrie is geting done this month. Mona turned 6 on thrusday, Ebonnie and Bonnie are going to be 4 and Karmella passed away last summer due to GI Stasis. All in all I'm glad its done. It means we don't have to worry about uterine cancer or babies. All my bunnies were spayed well into adulthood as our vet didn't neuter small animals when we first got them. They all revovered quickly though intially I needed some convincing to get them spayed. I was terrified I'd lose them under anaesthetic. I know better now though.

Zoe, Jessica and Mia - six years ago, Boo - five years ago, Tigerlily - 4 years ago, Bette and Maria - 3 years ago, Freya - last year.

Moonshine, Flopsy and Smudge were done at 6 months. They are all 2 now

Emily was done at 3 years and she is now 5

There's no way I'd risk not spaying

Heather was done about 3 years ago when she was 2; Santa was also about 2 when she was done about 2.5 years ago.

Personally even if the statistics are true I'd go for 'quality over quantity' anyway - I think that spayed does are generally much calmer, happier and more harmonious when they don't have those hormones raging anyway so cancer risks aside I think it's worth it for their quality of life.

Summer was neutered at 6 months old and will be 7 in May. Fern my french lop was also neutered at 6 months and is now 5 and a half :)

My first spay was Chocolate Aug 2005. She was 2(ish) years old. I've had a few done since then - usually at 5-6 months. Kendra waited a bit longer - she was about 1, cos she's really tiny:D. I have lost one during spay - a foster:(

How long they live after spaying was what interested me - Had a long conversation with the lady I adopted my 5 girls from - she's anti-spay and said all the spayed girls she'd had hadn't lived more than a couple of years after their op. I would guess it's down to multiple factors anyway (like their heart/liver etc.) but your vet's expertise must play a major part in their survival rates I suppose :?

The sad thing was she said she hardly homes any rabbits now, as everyone wants them spayed :(

The last time that rescue had any rabbits spayed was many years ago, I imagine things have improved since then :)

Also she told me the same thing too, but there's no evidence whatsoever that the bunns she had neutered died from anything to do with spaying.

How long they live after spaying was what interested me - Had a long conversation with the lady I adopted my 5 girls from - she's anti-spay and said all the spayed girls she'd had hadn't lived more than a couple of years after their op. I would guess it's down to multiple factors anyway (like their heart/liver etc.) but your vet's expertise must play a major part in their survival rates I suppose :?

The sad thing was she said she hardly homes any rabbits now, as everyone wants them spayed :(

Well this is her own choice she could let people get them speyed.....most people want speyed bunnies to cut the risk of UC and for me I would never rehome bunnies from rescues that are anti speying........also people need to get bunnies speyed if they want their bunny to be a house bun. Before Bambi was speyed she would be let out and run round and tound my feet shooting poo out her bun faster than I could count them, I coudl not have kept her a house bun if I had not gotten her speyed to stop this behaviour.

My Orchid was speyed before I got her so just over 3 years ago :)

Poppy spayed abouta year ago, Sorrel about two years...even if there is a slight chance that spaying makes them die earlier, I would prefer that to the 80% chance of uterine cancer in an unspayed doe.

Mine were done about 3 weeks ago - both aged about 6 months.

My lovely placid bunny started grunting and lunging at my hand and picking on her sister so I had them both done. They are still cheeky and binking around the garden but having had a doe when I was a kid that couldn't be picked up unless my dad was wearing motorcycle gloves I didn't need much convincing.

Back