• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How Long Ago Were your Girls Spayed?

Is it that you are interested in their ages, ie how long they have lived? Might be worth us giving their ages too, if so?

When I was little and people generally didn't have their bunnies spayed I had four does. All were around the same age and all died of uterine cancer (5&6 years old). One we caught in time, she was operated on to remove a tumour and lived for over another year. If I had known how high the risks of uterine cancer were then I would have had them all spayed.

Mine are all spayed and neutered now and I definitely wouldn't have it any other way. I think spaying is very much a personal choice, but I couldn't live with myself knowing that they have potentially succumbed and suffered to something that could have been prevented in the first place.

Is it that you are interested in their ages, ie how long they have lived? Might be worth us giving their ages too, if so?

How long they live after spaying was what interested me - Had a long conversation with the lady I adopted my 5 girls from - she's anti-spay and said all the spayed girls she'd had hadn't lived more than a couple of years after their op. I would guess it's down to multiple factors anyway (like their heart/liver etc.) but your vet's expertise must play a major part in their survival rates I suppose :?

The sad thing was she said she hardly homes any rabbits now, as everyone wants them spayed :(

My childhood and first rabbit Honeycomb was an unspeyed female. She lived until 8 but was a total :censored: her whole life.

Pippa was 7 and she was speyed.

I had to foster girls spayed about 2 months ago :) Had a buck neutered Friday. Theres always spays or neuters gong on here :shock:

Inca and Fraggle came from a rescue and were already done (around the 6month mark) as they were only 8 months old when I took them on :D

Liqourice and Ruby were both done as soon as they reached 6months also :D

Smokey was spayed about 5 years ago, and is now about 6 years old (we don't know her exact age).

Abby (Smokey's daughter) was spayed about 4 years ago and is now about 5 years old.

Crunchie was spayed just over a year ago, but unfortunatly we have no idea how old she is (possibly 3 or 4 years?).

Snowdrop was spayed last August, and is about 8 years old.

Ferris was spayed last Autumn, and is still only about a year old.

Sun was spayed 3 years ago (when she was about 7 months)
Fae about 6 or 7 months ago (when she was about 8 months)
Luna is yet to be spayed as shes so little:)

:wave:

I can see why there is some conflicting advice. I had an unspayed female til 8-9 yrs old, who had to be pts from uterine cancer. I then had a rescue female spayed at 4-5yrs, she was full of tumours when they opened her up, she then had to have another operation with 4 months to remove a lump under her skin, she died unexpectedly, without symptoms, around 2 months later.

I think spaying as early as possible is the key..... and any deaths after a spay could be due to something going on inside, the op 'triggers', or cancers which have unknowingly spread, of the fact that some older buns just dont seem to cope as well. Valerie was spayed last Thursday, shes not quite 6 mths, and I would always definately spay a female where possible.

Last edited:
I can see why there is some conflicting advice. I had an unspayed female with til 8-9yrs who then had to be ots from uterine cancer. I then had a rescue female spayed at 4-5yrs, she was full of tumours when they opened her up, she then had to have another operation with 4 months to remove a lump under her skin then died unexpectedly, without symptoms, around 2 months later.

I think spaying as early as possible is the key..... and any deaths after a spay could be due to something going on inside, the op 'triggers' or cancers which have unknowingly spread, of the fact that some older buns just dont seem to cope as well. Valerie was spayed last Thursday at, shes not quite 6 mths, and I would always definately spay a female where possible.

Yes, Fae was only 8 or 9 months, but when the vet opened her her womb was very enlarged and he said if it had been left its likely it would have become cancerous. Now i know how important catching it early is if you have the choice

Last edited:
Jessica was spayed when she was almost 1. Shes almost 3 now... and no less calmer in my opinion... :lol:

Effie and Jess were spayed two years ago and I've had numerous done since then, aged between 7years and 4months. Sasha was three when she went in and had very advanced uterine cancer but they were able to remove it all :D

Back