• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do you set up the hutch?

Milo2015

Warren Scout
Many moons ago when I was a child and people thought shell suits were the height of fashion my rabbit lived in a big hutch(luck more than anything else!) that was lined with newspaper and wood shavings, straw in the house bit and hay outside to eat.

Now, what has changed?

I don't buy newspapers and am currently using puppy pads and hay but the rabbits can kick up the pads and are both litter box trained (yay!) so I am wondering what else to use?

I have fitch but it drives me nuts. Once it runs out I doubt I'll buy it again

So what could I use?

thanks.

Sorry, can't help - I use thick layer of newspaper (which, luckily, I am able to bring home from work) and then hay.

Do you have any hotels near you who you could approach?

Newspaper, straw and hay. I get the newspapers from a kind lady in our village.

I use bath mats because they're pretty durable, cheap (£5-8 each), absorbent and washable. They're heavier than blankets so less digging temptation. Vet bed is nicer but costs more.

Do you ever get the train? The trains after 7ish on weekdays tend to be full of left-over newspapers. Whenever I'm on the train at that time I just walk through and pick up a few, they're just going to get chucked otherwise.

I know Sainsbury's has the free newspapers.......I pondering how to get there on time enough to take "some" and not look like a loon.

I like the idea of bathmats. I think I might have Vet bed in the loft........I never used it with the piggys as they wee for England everywhere.

thanks for the ideas :)

I've fitted lino on both levels of my hutch with a litter tray on each level with Auboise on the bottom and hay on top and then blankets in their bedding section. They seem to like it and it's also easier for me when cleaning out as when the blankets need a wash they go in my washing machine in a horse rug bag and the Auboise and hay can go on the compost heap.

My hutches have lino on the floors, I use vetbed fleece on the floor. They have a large wooden snuggle box full of hay in each hutch, then they have large litter trays. The snuggle boxes have hay inside or they can lay on top of them. My largest hutch is 7ft long and 7ft high. The top deck is a hayloft to store bales of hay. Here is a pic of one hutch. you will see two litter trays. The beige one by the snuggle box is full of wood shavings and hay it allows 8 year old Ginny to protect her joints when she jumps off the snuggle box. The vetbed we bought years ago on a roll, like carpet, from ebay. It was 10 metres x 1.5 metres for £100. In the pet shops it's about £8 per ft x 1metre width. So it was much cheaper by the roll. I still have loads left.

Last edited:
If the bunnies have a nice big litter tray like the underbed storage box type then they don't need much else, just a clean surface. You can put lino down but some buns nibble it, but it's good for wiping over. The trouble with vet bed or blankets is the hay and fur gets stuck to them and looks a mess.

Back