• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do you not comment? or do you?

Buzzwizz619

Warren Scout
Looking around gumtree, pre-loved and various other re-homing sites its clear that their are a awful lot of rabbits being re-homed usually with small hutches or cages, or people selling litters.

Generally there's no mention of suitable sized hutches, runs, neutering/ spaying, vaccinations or anything. Those with litters never advised that same sex pairs are more likely than not to fight, "full set ups" are nothing more than the smallest hutch money can buy and 9 times out of 10 those buying generally want one for their children.

How do you see these adds all day everyday and not comment? or do you comment and try to educate people?

For rats theirs a facebook page where ever week all the rats who need rehoming on various sites are rounded up and 9 times out of 10 theres someone who can take in those who are in need . I guess thats not the same for rabbits though, rats can live in large groups relatively easily and they are a fairly cheap and low maintenance pet which seems to be the complete opposite to rabbits, yet there are soooooo many more rabbits that need homes and so many more people but rabbits irresponsibly than rats.

So how do all you Rabbit lovers cope seeing this day and and day out? :(

I simply do not look.
I know there is an issue there and a lot of people would argue my job adds to it but I can not change it myself and it will always be an issue.

The best I can do is ensure any rabbits I sell go to people who I think will look after them responsibly and contact us if they have a problem.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Here in the US we have Craigslist and it's basically a dumping ground for animals.

Despite there being a rule that you cannot sell animals on the site, backyard breeders are always using it. Meat breeders use it as well. It's all very awful and there is a lot of neglect or even abuse happening. I've rescued a few animals off it who were very neglected. I rescued a rabbit who was being kept in a glass aquarium; got him neutered and adopted to a great home. I rescued a rat who was living alone in a cage that smelled of cigarette smoke and was being fed some expired seed mix you buy at the grocery store for people. The worst rescue I ever took in was a Crested Gecko named Frodo. He was the most emaciated gecko I've ever seen.

I used to look at Craigslist a lot, but I don't have room for any rescues right now. My fiance recommended I stop looking, so I have for the most part. Sometimes I do send emails to people if the situation looks really bad. If the cage is ridiculous, like the glass aquarium I mentioned earlier or small enough to be a rat cage (I've seen it before), then I will say something. If there is someone trying to get rid of an animal for free I will mention the dangers and give them suggestions on screening people properly. It's important if you do email people to not come off as too judgemental or all high and mighty. It practically guarantees that they will just get defensive and not listen.

If they get that way anyway then go off on them
winking0016.gif

I don't look at that site more than a few times a month at the moment. Makes me lose faith in humanity. Plus it's hard for me to not want to rescue all the critters.

I have nightmares when I hear many stories. That is why I support the rescues in my area that take animals that need the most help-those with medical conditions, those who don't know human kindness, and the bunnies who are dumped when they are no longer babies.
When someone tells me they plan on getting a bunny; I make sure they know they come with responsibilities.
Several area pet (supply) stores have an area reserved for rescues to display animals for adoption-usually cats and sometimes rabbits.
Unfortunately, even the meat industry is not held to the same standards for slaughter of poultry and rabbits as they are for other agricultural animals.
When I was a member of an animal advocacy group and they often had stories and pictures that caused me many restless nights.

Last edited:
If you send links to a mod on here they will be able to contact the advertisers in a tactful way.

Back