• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do i know when i should get another bunny?

We lost our adored bunny Bobby in March this year:(, he was my first rabbit in adulthood. We were absolutely heartbroken when he had to be pts and at first I thought I could not go through it again. His loss was a big hole in our lives and the house felt so quiet. After a few weeks (and lots of looking at buns on here) we felt the time was right to help another bunny. I started feeling guilty and like I was betraying Bob in some way. I was also worried that other (non rabbity friends) would think that I couldn't have loved Bobby as much as I said if I was thinking about getting another rabbit so soon. Then I realised that the people that mattered knew we weren't replacing Boo and that he would be pleased we'd be giving another bunny in need a lovely home. We visited BARC and chose Rosie who's been with us since the end of May (and we can't imagine being without her now). The next day on the way to work there was a huge, really bright rainbow that I like to think was Bob telling us from the bridge that he was happy with our new bunny :). I still miss Bob every day and cry often, Friday I had a physical pain that I could not snuggle Boo on the floor (Rosie won't do this (yet):)). We've now reserved another lovely bunny as a friend for Rosie and we are excited about the bonding which will start in a couple of weeks.

You will know when the time is right:). Your new friend won't replace your beloved bunny but might help you come to terms with your loss, whilst helping another needy bunny (or two :)).

Best wishes to you.

In the last few years I havent been without a bun, I dont think I could cope without at least one, bunny hugs are the best way to feel better!!

Thanks guys....i think i know myself that ill get these two new buns, just really miss my lad, would do anything for him back, but that just not going to happen.
Just hope that im a good bunny mummy to the new buns and they dont leave me in such a short time as kermit x

Awww hun, you'll be a brilliant bunny mummy to whichever new bunnies you take on :)

When I lost Daisy's brother so soon after he arrived I was completely devastated, and absolutely terrified of taking on another bunny just in case the same thing happened again ... but now I have Daisy and little Jester and I know having a second chance at bunnymummyhood was absolutely the right thing to do. I guess you just have to be as positive as you can and hope that things will be ok, while knowing that if the worst happened and another bunny did develop serious health problems you would love and care for them just as wonderfully as you did for Kermit.

Back