• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do I convince my parents to let me have a bunny?

I'm not sure if this had been brought up already, but I just wanted to add it in case it hasn't. Two older rabbits would be a good idea if you were going to uni in a few years, but I don't think that you can insure rabbits over 5 or 6 (correct me if I'm wrong), so you would have to be prepared to pay some big vets bills if they ever get ill (especially if it's at a weekend or late at night).

I am still also concerned with the moving the bunnies around a lot if you go away several times a year. I think that the constant change will be stressful and could make them ill.

Why do you think you know more than us? We are all experienced rabbit keepers. We know what we're talking about.

Your mum is sensible to say no if she doesn't want rabbits around - its her house and her ultimate responsibility.

What you're doing is really mean to your parents. Show them some respect and accept that at present you live in their home but this won't always be the case. When you have your own home you can decide for yourself if you will have rabbits.

There's nothing to stop you reading here and other places, helping out at rescues, shadowing at the vets etc so that you are a true expert on rabbits before you take any on full time. That would be a really positive thing to do with your interest. And you could save up, start your 'rabbit fund'. All that is working positively towards fulfilling your dream.

I don't think posts like that are going to help the situation. If we are rude to OP we risk scaring her off and she might still get a rabbit but without all the advice and ideas she can gain on here.

Millz - I think you've been given lots of good advice so far including many of the downsides of rabbit ownership. Ultimately it is up to you and your parents. Good luck whatever you decide and if you do get a rabbit make sure you stick around on RU as the amount of knowledge on here is amazing.

At the end of the day that is her family's business, not ours, and it is up to Milz's parents to decide what to do and whether to get the rabbits. And it does seem like her parents are considering it, as if they weren't they would not be taking her to rescue centres etc to look at rabbits. Milz is taking the time to research rabbits first so she can give them a good home, which is a very responsible attitude to have. Only Milz's parents can say yes or no to the rabbits, our role is to support and advise her and make sure she feels welcome on the forum.

:thumb: This.

Please let's concentrate on the pros and cons of owning rabbits so that millz and her family can come to an informed decision about whether they're the right pets for them as a family. It's not up to us to decide whether the OP's behaviour is acceptable or not; her parents will be able to decide that for themselves, I'm sure, so no need to berate her on here.

but we can have an opinion, karenm. we have tried. people have advised. the op put her family up here, including in her title. i am more than happy to leave the thread now but i hold fast to my views. parents should have the right to say no, and whilst the op makes an excellent case for being seriously interested in rabbits and committed to finding out what to do for the best, if her parents still say no, at some point or other she will need to accept that.

Hello there!
It might be difficult with the holiday issue, but maybe try some friends or a pet stay hotel nearby. Pay for it yourself.
Act responsibly around the house, keep it clean.
Find out everything you need to buy and note that down on a list. Check the costs, the vet might get expensive so pet insurance is recommended. To cut the general costs try to keep your bunny cage free in a bunny proof room, eg your bedroom.
Tell that to your parents
Ok, go to a rescue shelter and see how cute they are your parents might fall in

Hello there!
It might be difficult with the holiday issue, but maybe try some friends or a pet stay hotel nearby. Pay for it yourself.
Act responsibly around the house, keep it clean.
Find out everything you need to buy and note that down on a list. Check the costs, the vet might get expensive so pet insurance is recommended. To cut the general costs try to keep your bunny cage free in a bunny proof room, eg your bedroom.
Tell that to your parents
Ok, go to a rescue shelter and see how cute they are your parents might fall in
Very old thread ;)

Back