• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Housing help........

Meg and Jas

Young Bun
Following on from my other thread about rescuing a pair of bunnies I've been looking into outdoor housing options but am quite confused :shock:

One issue I have is that I've had a back problem in the past so I'm going to be absolutely no good at building something for myself so ideally I want something I can just order and someone will deliver ready assembled and put it where I want it :D

I'm not after a traditional run/hutch set up as ideally I want to be able to sit in with the bunnies and interact so I was thinking of an aviary/shed type set up?

Also I'm thinking that in regards to cleaning out I want something that's going to be easily accessible and won't need lots of grovelling about on the floor for me to clean out properly (trying to think of my back here). I was thinking maybe an aviary with a hutch inside that's on raised legs rather than ground level with a ramp going down into the aviary?

I really like the idea of a play house but I'm quite tall so don't think I'd fit in one which would make it impractical for me to clean out I think :(

Also the area of the garden that I'm thinking of using is basically a corner with some raised borders that has some kind of plastic sheeting down and is covered in large pebbles (we always call it the beach :lol:) but I'm not sure that would be a suitable grounding as I'm worried that bunnies would try to eat the pebbles or they could burrow out?

I was looking at the Rabbitopia as I really like the fact that it's all put together and they can do a mesh bottom which I could overlay with grass and someone would just deliver it and put it where I'd like it to go and it has built in seating etc but I can't afford one of the shed options so it seems pretty expensive for what it is?

I think what I'm looking for is something that's large enough with easy access that can literally just be delivered and put together for me that isn't going to be completely break the bank - I don't ask for much do I :lol:

I'd suggest speaking with any local carpenters who may be able to help. As they'll charge for parts and labour, rather than the finished product, they may be cheaper - especially if you're flexible with how long it may take!

Aww, that looks lovely!

Any carpenter worth his or her salt should be able to create that for you. Find a few local people, ask for an email address and send that picture with measurements and requirements such as the gauge mesh we should use to best protect the buns.

If you get a lower quote from a company you aren't so fond of, bounce this off of the other companies and play them against each other - I'm sure you'd still be set back around £200 but if it's good quality it should outlast your rabbits!

If you have back problems personally I'd rule out a hutch, even ones on legs are a right pain to clean and you have to stand in an awkward position. With a shed or playhouse if you line it with something wipe clean (non-slip lino, stable matting) then you can use a litter tray or two and just change them and sweep or mop the rest when it needs it.

You could lino a playhouse and use a long handled wipe device (I don't know what they're called, can post a link if you are interested ;) and a long handled brush and pan. But I know what you mean, I did an aviary in the end with tall hutch on legs and they get in via a runaround tunnel, which seems to work well.
You could buy aviary panels, have them delivered and pay a handyman to put them together, or a kennel works incredibly well which might solve the flooring issue too. :) :thumb:

Boyle's Pet Housing and I'm sure some of the other guys who do custom stuff can put things like this together for you. I designed my shed and Boyle's built it for me!

I have a Boyle's indoor pen but their outdoor options look great too. They have a bespoke service so Daniel will pretty much build anything you want. I can really recommend them.

Thanks for the replies :)

I've found somewhere that would make and assemble this aviary for me........

404_2010092042.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I think I'd have to custom it a bit by getting a door put in and I'm also thinking of seeing if I could get a mesh floor as then hopefully I could lay turf on top of the pebbles?

How would something like that look with a hutch inside?

I think that would be great! Not sure about flooring, maybe you could do half turf with buried mesh that gets sun/rain etc to keep it growing and then half slabs with covered roof.

Back