• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

horse hay!

skippersmom

Warren Scout
Hey there,

I hope this doesnt sound like a stupid question.

My best friend owns a barn with three horses, after reading a lot of posts on this website i noticed a lot of you have recommended going to horse suppliers for bales of hay.

I was wondering about this, what type of hay do horses eat? i asked my friend and she says she isnt sure and that her parents buy it from a neighbour or off of their own land. I know i read somewhere that rabbits should only eat timothy, oat and small amounts of alfalfa hay during childhood (i think..maybe it was old age.. i dont know where i read it)

im confused!

Horses eat meadow hay or seed hay (meadow is made from pasture laid permenantly to grass and seed from grass seed sown specifically to cut hay) they can also eat alfalfa. Regualar bales of hay that are purchased for horses will also be fine for your rabbits.

Hi there, I have horses & a bunny so hope I can help on this one :D I buy good quality meadow hay if available at around £3-£3.50 a bale. The last two years havent been the best weather wise and so there was a shortage in many areas which pushed the price up a bit. At this time of year you will be offered last years hay. Just make sure it isn't dusty as depending on where it's been stored that could be the case. It should still smell quite fresh and be crisp & fairly green(ish) looking. If it's very pale i.e. no green at all then it probably isn't the best quality and I would avoid it. Don't touch anything which appears black/grey. Seed hay is fine too and the same rules apply. If you have room to store a bale at a time then great, otherwise ask your friend if you could have a few slices at a time. Hope that helps :D

I use meadow hay. We get those huge round bales for £20 from a farmer:D

Avoid haylage or horsehage though which is fed to horses - usually comes bagged up & damp - as it's not fermented enough for wabbits:D

Back