• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

(Hopefully) post stasis recovery questions!

teal_t_rex

New Kit
Hi all,

My little man Buster has been in Stasis unfortunately. We noticed he hadn't eaten and was dropping mucus on Saturday morning, he saw true vet the same day and was given a guy stimulant and baytril. A check on Sunday morning to see how he was responding and the vet said there was more noise from his gut but not as it should be so another stimulant was given. On Monday morning he hadn't eaten or drunk any think and no droppings since just after the return form the vet 20 hours before. Back again for more stimulant, baytril and fluids (and crying from me). Monday evening and he had nibbled and accepted a fibre smoothy (hay and water with a syringe), back to the vet for another check with more stimulant and fluids with a positive response from his gut (apparently the best it had sounded so far). Still no droppings until Tuesday when I returned for work. It was just one massive one though. He then left a few smaller but still very wet presents for us followed by one massive one over night again. Still not 100% in to his food but is eating carrot tops and small amounts of hay. Oh, and infrequent but BIG wees being done (I didn't think I tiny bun could hold so much!).
The vets are fully booked and have been great so far at fitting him in but wondered if this was all normal or if I should take him back again and ask for another check up?

Any advice or personal experience would be really appreciated

Thanks
Vici

Hi all,

My little man Buster has been in Stasis unfortunately. We noticed he hadn't eaten and was dropping mucus on Saturday morning, he saw true vet the same day and was given a guy stimulant and baytril. A check on Sunday morning to see how he was responding and the vet said there was more noise from his gut but not as it should be so another stimulant was given. On Monday morning he hadn't eaten or drunk any think and no droppings since just after the return form the vet 20 hours before. Back again for more stimulant, baytril and fluids (and crying from me). Monday evening and he had nibbled and accepted a fibre smoothy (hay and water with a syringe), back to the vet for another check with more stimulant and fluids with a positive response from his gut (apparently the best it had sounded so far). Still no droppings until Tuesday when I returned for work. It was just one massive one though. He then left a few smaller but still very wet presents for us followed by one massive one over night again. Still not 100% in to his food but is eating carrot tops and small amounts of hay. Oh, and infrequent but BIG wees being done (I didn't think I tiny bun could hold so much!).
The vets are fully booked and have been great so far at fitting him in but wondered if this was all normal or if I should take him back again and ask for another check up?

Thanks
Vici

I am sorry that your Bunny is unwell. I do not see any mention of the Vet giving any pain relief ? A Rabbit in pain, for whatever reason, will not eat and that, in turn, will cause the GI tract to shut down.

Did the Vet suggest any possible cause of the stasis ? Stasis is often a secondary symptom of another problem So whilst it is important to treat the stasis it is equally important to try to identify and treat the primary cause.

This link may be useful to read

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv

Hi all,

Thanks
Vici

Hi Vici and welcome to RU :wave:

Sorry to hear about Buster. Did the vet give you any gut motility drugs (e.g. emperid) and Zantac for him to take ongoing for a few days until he gets back to normal? Also, you could ask your vet about possibly prescribing a painkiller - Metacam is just that, and it's an anti-inflammatory as well, so does dual purpose.

I also give Infacol (infant gas meds) and tummy rubs. Have a read here:

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv

Good luck and keep us posted :D

Thanks both of you for replying! He was given another shot on Saturday afternoon but I can't remember what is was (I have it written down at home but I'm at work right now) so potentially that was pain relief? I wasn't given any medication to give to him at home but advice on things like the best foods to give him to help encourage him to eat and then to recover. I am happy to take him back to see someone again but want to avoid the stress on him as much as possible as that won't help.

I have been giving him tummy rubs (when he lets me). He isn't the most tactile bun (having been a rescue I fear he is mistrusting of people and although he had started to be affectionate with us - cleaning and following us - he doesn't love being picked up) and until recently had been grumpy but accepting with us. On Saturday-Monday he was fairly docile and not caring but is back to being a grump again which I suppose is more normal behavior for him.

The Vet seemed to think the stasis was potentially because of an infection as his mood didn't change until he stopped eating and there wasn't any out of the ordinary thing happen to him (e.g. house move) and so gave the baytril to combat it.

We have allowed him free roam of his room again so that he keeps moving and hopefully makes himself hungry again!

Thanks for advice, if he isn't doing his business and eating more normally by tomorrow morning I'll take him back to see the vet and ask for something I can administer at home to keep things going the right way if needed.

Vici

Maybe ask vet if you should give him Fibreplex? I used to give that when my little Cookie was off her food.

Good luck, I hope he feels better soon x

Thanks both of you for replying! He was given another shot on Saturday afternoon but I can't remember what is was (I have it written down at home but I'm at work right now) so potentially that was pain relief? I wasn't given any medication to give to him at home but advice on things like the best foods to give him to help encourage him to eat and then to recover. I am happy to take him back to see someone again but want to avoid the stress on him as much as possible as that won't help.

I have been giving him tummy rubs (when he lets me). He isn't the most tactile bun (having been a rescue I fear he is mistrusting of people and although he had started to be affectionate with us - cleaning and following us - he doesn't love being picked up) and until recently had been grumpy but accepting with us. On Saturday-Monday he was fairly docile and not caring but is back to being a grump again which I suppose is more normal behavior for him.

The Vet seemed to think the stasis was potentially because of an infection as his mood didn't change until he stopped eating and there wasn't any out of the ordinary thing happen to him (e.g. house move) and so gave the baytril to combat it.

We have allowed him free roam of his room again so that he keeps moving and hopefully makes himself hungry again!

Thanks for advice, if he isn't doing his business and eating more normally by tomorrow morning I'll take him back to see the vet and ask for something I can administer at home to keep things going the right way if needed.

Vici

As the vet has seen his very recently, you don't need to take him in to get meds for him. You could ring up and if they agree, prescribe what they've been giving him. That's usual. Saves him a journey and you a bit extra cost.

Thanks! More input than he's had since this started yesterday and although still not much solid output he did pee on both the bed and me so I guess he is getting the fluids through his system at the moment! I did also notice him cleaning all round his back end and then sitting up and chewing so maybe hes back to providing his own snacks as well as what we are giving him! I could hear his belly gurgling and moving when I was holding him and the Vet has said that the more noise it makes (within reason) the better as it means everything is doing it's job.
Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it :)

Update on a really old one now... I lost my password and couldn't get logged back in! Buster improved very quickly once we got him eating again. The vet suggested some wheetabix with peanut butter on which he liked, when he wasn't wanting to eat the wheetabix (super high fibre) I did him a smoothy of sorts using the wheetabix, some peanut butter and loads of water (to get his fluid levels up), he LOVED it. As soon as he had some of that he was willing to have some carrot tops when offered to him and then it all started to normalise again. We think it was a treat block given to him which had honey and nuts in, my other half gave him one a couple of weeks ago and he went off food for the evening after eating half. Sorted him out with his favourite foods and back to normal again. We now offer him his pellets by hand and he seems to enjoy those as a treat that isn't really a treat! He doesn't like fruit and it gives him some odd droppings so we now avoid it completely and stick to veg for fresh foods :) Thanks again for all the advice, hopefully I'll be able to help others in the future thanks to you guys :) V

Update on a really old one now... I lost my password and couldn't get logged back in! Buster improved very quickly once we got him eating again. The vet suggested some wheetabix with peanut butter on which he liked, when he wasn't wanting to eat the wheetabix (super high fibre) I did him a smoothy of sorts using the wheetabix, some peanut butter and loads of water (to get his fluid levels up), he LOVED it. As soon as he had some of that he was willing to have some carrot tops when offered to him and then it all started to normalise again. We think it was a treat block given to him which had honey and nuts in, my other half gave him one a couple of weeks ago and he went off food for the evening after eating half. Sorted him out with his favourite foods and back to normal again. We now offer him his pellets by hand and he seems to enjoy those as a treat that isn't really a treat! He doesn't like fruit and it gives him some odd droppings so we now avoid it completely and stick to veg for fresh foods :) Thanks again for all the advice, hopefully I'll be able to help others in the future thanks to you guys :) V

Really glad to be of help :D

I'm glad Buster is doing well now! x

It is great that you got Buster back to normal. Hay and fresh vegs are great foods for bunnies. Some bunnies are fine on pellets, especially timoty based (as opposed to alfalfa based) pellets.
I have had to limit pellets in some of my bunnies to 'treats' too. They come running when I rattle the bag of pellets and will take them one by one from my hand.
Good job.

Back