• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hope its OK........25th July-0810hrs Post 289-Patrick U/D

Patrick started to eat and poo during the night BUT he still has a large,hard and VERY abnormal mass in his intestines. The mass is sausage shaped and about 4cm long. It feels to be set rock solid. All in all it feels very sinister indeed :cry:

Patrick is not yet a year old. I have always said that I would not put another Rabbit through surgery on the GI tract having lost 5 due to having it done and they all suffered alot :cry:
But Patrick is eating and pooing again now and although a little quiet he does not seem to be acting 'ill'.

Oh god I dont know what to do :cry: Patrick was the one I first took home from P@H to care for overnight. He was 2 weeks old and had been left 'out the back' with diarrohoea :cry:
It will break my heart to have got him this far only to have to loose him today

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Bobbie is less snotty this morning and she has not had any more 'gagging' episodes during the night.

Bernie is much the same :cry:

Fred is OK in himself but he still has a gunky eye and his Liver is still enlarged ..............

Vets appointment at 1015hrs

xx

Last edited:
Jane i know how awful it is now to have sick rabbits when alone the brain goes off into all sorts of directions and the panic is unreal... your lovely vet will put your mind at rest, she will tell you all your treatment is correct and to carry on as you are and all of your little angels will recover with lots of TLC

will be sending you all vibes today xxxxx

Thinking of you today.

I will be having sneaky looks for updates while I'm at work, I can't wait til I get home.

*sending more vibes*

Sometimes these abdominal masses turn out to be faeces and hair and will break up and move along with plenty of fluids. I hope this is the case for Patrick.
Sending vibes for your poorly bunnies xx

Patrick's guts feel worse than I first thought :cry:
There is not just one abnormal mass but 2 :cry: They form a sort of inverted 'V' in his lower small intestines :cry: They are absolutely rock solid :cry:

I am now wondering if he was born with an abnormality :? The diarrhoea at 2 weeks, then the excessive drinking (all blood tests normal) :?
I honestly feel that it is not going to be good news for Patrick today :cry:

Whilst the problem is different from that which took the Girlie Boblets from me at just 6 months of age it still brings that dreadful time back to the forefront of my mind :cry:

Just when I thought I had managed to give them the chance of a long happy life they die whilst less than a year old..............

:cry: :cry:

Try not to think the worst. Wait and see what your vet thinks.
I would rather give a bun one happy year than ten miserable ones in a tiny hutch which may well have been his fate if you hadn't rescued him xx

Sending top-up vibes for you and the poorly bunsters... will be thinking of you at 10.15... xx

Sending loads more vibes for all the bunnies today. I have everything crossed for Patrick today. If it is bad news, at least he has known happiness and love in his short life, rather than the misery he was obviously destined for before you found him. Sending you big hugs xxx

Sending mega vibes for Patrick. He would not of got this far without you Jane. I hope that he is OK and gets to spend a lot longer with you.

Vibes for the other bunnies too.

Christabel thinks Patrick has an impacted caecum. She did not want to GA him to do an Xray and she felt doing a conscious one would not be very helpful as he really needs to be lying on his side. Also, Christabel said that as his guts are currently functioning up to a point she does not want to push him back into Ileus from either stress or a GA.
So I am to continue with the fluid therapy as I have previously been doing and Patrick is also to have Lactulose three times a day and abdominal massage every 2 hours. We are hoping that this will help break down the faecal matter.
Patrick can also have Metacam if I feel he requires it. I am to keep in contact with Christabel over the weekend to update her on how Patrick is doing.

With Fred Christabel agrees that his Liver feels abnormal on palpation. But in every other way Fred is clinically very well. So we are going to monitor him closely over the next 10 days, keeping a close eye on his weight and his water consumption. Christabel says she is unsure of the clinical significance of the enlarged Liver at this stage given how well Fred is in every other way.
If things remain unchanged or deteriorate over the next 10 days Fred will have bloods taken to check his LFTs etc.

With Bobbie I am to continue her on Depocillin and Nebulising.

With Bernie we may have to let her go next week :cry:

Jake seems fine now but will remain on his meds for another 24 hours.

Thanks for 'listening' everyone. I dont have anyone else to 'talk with' about my Bunny worries apart from RU

xx

Back