• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Home Check Questions

I'm not sure, to be honest, what they say. I do the home visit and I put together a list of changes that the adopter would need to make to pass the home visit. My Supervisor then discusses it with the Branch Deptuy Manager if it's something complicated, and they reach a decision together. We rarely fail anyone out right, we give people the opportunity to make changes and if they choose not to, then that's their choice. We just have to protect our rabbits and our requirements are based on what previous experiences have been with adopters and rabbits (which is why post adoption home visits are vital).

Also, with regards to indoors, we don't ask as much space; that is more to our discretion based on the inside set up and how the rabbits will live.

thanks for answering my questions. :) Its interesting to get an insight into rescues and how they work. :)

I don't think it necessarily makes someone a 'bad owner' as such but I imagine all rescues who homecheck would require an attached run if they were going to be in a hutch?

I've never seen a rescue require any less than an attached hutch and run. Its not suprising really, cos the RWF's recommendations are attached hutch and run and so are the RSPCA's.

I did have an opportunity to change my setup to an attached hutch and run (but with a much smaller run than my current run so thats why I chose to leave them unattached). However because of the way I have to cover the whole floor with hay and have every surface as soft as possible and as clean as possible, it became difficult to see how we could have a hutch and run attached; eg soft enough ladder or step between levels, keeping the run waterproof (our current roof design wouldn't work on an attached hutch/run, and we've spent years trying to improve the design to how it is now), getting access to the hutch to clean it out daily (the run would always be in the way, and taking off the run roof to gain access to the hutch would be impossible in the rain).

If I had healthy rabbits and more space, then I would consider a hutch and run combo, but because of Molly's condition and the space, it just wasn't viable. I felt they would be happier with a larger separate run than a smaller attached run.

Back