• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hi there! Rabbit help needed please

Cockerlass

New Kit
Hi,

So glad I found this forum!

I am totally new to the world of rabbits so please be gentle with me :lol:

I love animals! I currently have a cocker spaniel dog but have been wanting to increase my animal collection for a while now.

I've always wanted a rabbit but have absolutely no experience of them whatsoever & therefore need some good honest advice from you guys before I buy one.

firstly, i have two issues that are currently preventing me from buying a rabbit.

My dog - I'd love them to get along but I have no idea how my dog will react. Being a gun dog I don't know if he'd accept a rabbit or not. If he didn't then the rabbit & dog would never ever be out in the garden together, but I'd prefer it if there got along ok although I'd never leave them together unsupervised.

Secondly

I don't have a great deal of grass. My garden is mainly paved, but the grassed area if around 10 foot by three foot. Is this sufficient? I'd like the rabbit to have a great big hutch & would be free to roam the garden fo as much of the day as possible.

I know I have a lot of research to do before i go ahead and buy a rabbit, but based on my two concerns if you guys say it's not fair on the rabbit on any of the two reasons then I'll put the idea to bed.

Your honest advice would be much appreciated

Hi :wave:

Its really good your thinking about it properly before you get a bunny :D They are such lovely pets :D

My garden is mostly paved too, and the runs are on the slabs so the bunnies cant dig out :lol: As long as your garden is bunny proof then your bun should be able to play in the garden supervised :D You can get some good hutch and run combos too. I have this one for two of mine and they love it

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Massive-Rabbi...ryZ63513QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Your garden sounds fine to me :wink: I dont have any experience with rabbits and dogs living together but lots of people on here keep both so hopefully they will be along soon to give you some advice on that.

Have you thought about adopting a bunny from a rabbit rescue? Its just there are so many bunnies needing homes and buying buns from petshops doesnt really help the situation :( If you do a search on rabbit rehome you will be able to see pictures of the bunnies close to you that are needing homes :D

Also rabbits are social animals and need company so two bunnies would be best (neutered and spayed) and if you adopt from a rescue you will be able to get 2 bunnies that are already bonded rather than buying two, getting them neutered and then hoping they get on :D

Other things to think about are finding a good rabbit savvy vet and they can be quite hard to find :roll: And things like vaccinations and how much time you will be able to spend with them :D Bunnies love attention and playing :lol:

xx

Hi there and welcome.

None of my rabbits are based on grass, they do have another run which gives them some grass but they are not permantly on grass.

Maybe you could give a new home to one of the many who are in rescues instead of buying one. Take a look at Rabbit Rehome section on here :)

I dont have a dog so cant comment on that but I know my cat does not think very much of my bunnies! :lol:

Tracey x

LOL - oh dear, looks like we were typing our replies at the same time as they contain very similar info :lol:

Sorry about that!

Tracey x

cheers for your reply :D

Wow that's a brilliant hutch :D thanks very much!

I did wonder about rabbits in pet shops to be honest, I had planned on contacting a rabbit breeder as I know I'd never buy a dog from a pet shop so why should a rabbit be any different.

I like your idea of two rescue rabbits much more though, & if I got a hutch that big there would be enough room :D

How much human contact time would they need per day? & how long is the maximum time they should spend in their hutch per day?

Also one last question , can you recommend a good book for me to read bearing in mind I currently know absolutely nothing about rabbits :( I was to be well prepared before I get them :D

cheers :D

There is plently of room in the happyhutch for 2 bunnies :lol: Mine are in their hutches while im at work and obviously while im sleeping but they always have access to their runs. Thats why the bigger the better :D Lots of people on here have converted childrens playhouses or sheds for their buns to live in so there are loads of different ideas :wink:

As soon as I get home though they are straight out of their hutch and runs until I go to bed. I bring them in while im watching tv or doing my college work and they are quite happy to just cuddle up and play with their toys or I just sit in the garden with them and watch them jump about :lol:

I usually bring 2 of them in while I get ready for work aswell and sit and talk to them while im drying my hair and stuff :lol: :oops: And my mum or brothers will uaually get in their runs and give them attention during the day.

As for learning about rabbits I have read this book and think its quite good for understanding their behaviour

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Why-Does-Ra...230801?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1177162954&sr=1-10

And this one is great :D My bunnies all love getting massages :lol:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Relaxed-Rab...6230801?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1177163003&sr=1-1

For learning about rabbits diets and stuff I would say just look at the information on here

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/viewforum.php?f=12

x

I see you are getting great advice already and you will love this friendly forum
bunnyinhat.gif

hi welcome to RU :D :wave:

i too have gundogs (3 english springers and a lab) and 2 of them are fine with the bunsters (always supervised) i think it really depends on the dog
her is cody with the bunsters :D

rabbits059-1.jpg

my buns are indoor bunsters so dont have access to grass (although i have just made a run to let them out briefly during the day) but they are fine without the grass :D

Back