• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hi, me and my 4 bunnies. Lots of pics added p2

Hoppla

Alpha Buck
I have posted on the RU for a couple of weeks now and it's about time I introduced myself and my 4 bunnies.
Pls excuse the typos i am posting from my phone as i have just moved and my broadband hasn't been set up yet.

8.5 years ago I got my 1st bunny : Little Man
I was at my local fruit and veg market where they also sold bunnies and there was this card board box with over 20 of the smallest bunnies i had ever seen (i was very naive and had no clue about bunnies) All the bunnies lookes the same, tiny and black and white. One caught my eye, he was desperately trying to get my attention and he was sneezing. When he sneezed small drops of yellow puss came out of his nose. I told the guy selling them that this baby was sick and needed a vet.
I left the bunnies and did my weekly shopping. I did not intend to buy a bunny but something made me go back to check on him.
The bunny was gone. I asked the guy if he had sold the bunny and he sad no, he couldn't sell it any more cos it was sick.i asked him where the bunny was now and he pointed to the back of his truck to.a small card board box.
i somehow couldn't picture this guy taking this little bunny to the vet. So I bought little man.
I was very naive. The next day I took little man to the.vet who told me that little man was a very sick little bunny and his chances of survival were very slim. Little man was too young approx 5wks, very under nourished and had a very high temperature. Little man went through many courses of baytril, i was determined not to give uP on him. He survived. Little man got a name and moved into my living room where he had 24 hrs free.range.
The vet told me a bunnies diet should be 80% hay and 20% fresh veg and absolutely no pellets etc. This is what he is fed on untill today and every vet tells me he has got the most amazing fur and fantastic teeth.
I troed bonding him with a .female from a rescue.center twice, but little man is a bully and he didn't allow the girls to eat- ever. So he was a happy single bun for 6 yrs.
2 yrs ago i saw a little white bunny in a park near where i live. I tried to catch her for 2 month. She took the food i gave her, but there was no catching her.
One day suddenly she was a changed bunny and just let me pick her up. I took her to the vet who told.me she was full of fleas, too skinny and approx 4 month old.
she also told me i was very stupid.to just introduce a bunny to my bunny without at least 4 wks quarantine.
little man decided that after 6 years of no food shortage, there would be enough food for 2 bunnies and it was a 5 minute bond.
The next night Hoppla started building a nest underneath my bed and had 3 half wildie babies. She was a great mum, even though she was still a baby herself. she fed them until 12 weeks old. 1 baby staid with us and 2 babies were rehomed.
The baby which staid is called little mouse. Little mouse is great with his family but would kill any other bunny and i mean literally kill.
3 month later Hoppla's syphilis broke out my vet thought it was myxi and wanted to pts her.
when i told my vet that myxi would take 21 days max to break out and we had vaccinated all the bunnies against myxi and vhd, she still didn't believe me and insisted on ptssing Hoppla. I told her over my dead body and that she most likely had syphilis which i read about on the internet. My vet said she never heard about bunny syphilis and phoned a so called bunny expert. I can still hear this arrogant guy's voice over the phone "bunny syphilis doesn't exist it is myxo and you have to pts the bunny"
I told my vet she would not get her hands on my bunny and that she would certainly not be ptssed against my will. I think we stood there staring at each other for 5 minutes.
I then told her to google it on the net and luckily the first site.She opened was from a well known exotics professor who wrote about how to treat bunny syphilis.
If I hadn't been that determined and more of a push over, I would have lost Hoppla that day.

A year ago one day before.my birthday I found a box that was moving next to a rubbish bin. I took the box and told myself no matter how cute whatever was in there would be, it would go straight to a rescue center (who was i kidding). While i was holding the box i could feel something binkying in the box.
At home i opened the box and the cutest little ball of white fluff binkyed out of the box and around.my room. Lola was.the cutest bunny i ever saw, but with a very runny nose with yellow puss coming out of her nose. Her illness didn't scare me. I had done it before and would be able to do it again. I immediately started her on Baytril, it was Sunday and no vet available.
I saw the vet the next day.
Lola survived and.is a spoiled.little princess.
The family of 3 has one room to.themselves and Lola lives in my bed room.
I cannot bond lola with the other 3 as the half wildie would rip her to shreds. I tried and he attacks immediately with maximum aggression.
So Lola is.a.spoilt single bun and my bed room is her kingdom.
The girls are.spayed and the boys had the snip. And of course they have their little passport with all their regular myxo.and vhd vaccs. These are my bunnies.

Thanks for reading...:wave:pictures will follow

Last edited:
Great stories! Congrats on all the rescues and your stubborness haha! And we DEFINITELY need piccies!

What amazing stories.

Definitely need Pics!

All those bunnies are so lucky to have been found by you.
:D

Thanks for the lovely welcome :wave:

Yes that moment at the vet was very tense. It happened in Germany and legally she would have had to inform the local authorities of the myxi outbreak and legally she would have been entitled to call.the police have the bunny taken off me and ptssed.

It was a very intense situation. Funnily enough we are now friends :D and she trusts my judgement 100%.

But now I have moved to Bath.

Full of admiration for you and your buns - are you nervous of boxes now!:lol:

Totally :D
I was on my bike when I found her. And while I cycled home one hand on the bike handle and in the other this small box....Lola was already binkying inside....very crazy.
For the first months of her life she didn't hopp like normal bunny, she just bounced around.

Me and my 4 bunnies pics added p2

Hiya,

I finally got round to create a photobucket account and upload my bunny pics.

This are little man and Hoppla 5 days after I found Hoppla.

This are little man and Hoppla 5 days after I found Hoppla.
When the photo was taken Hoppla already had her babies underneath my bed in the box I had used to take her home in. I was totally unaware of the 3 babies underneath my bed. I did hear some rustling underneath my bed at night, but whenever I turned round one of the grown ups was always under my bed, so I thought they caused the sound.

One night I heard the rustling sound under my bed again, didn't think anything of it as I thought it was either Hoppla or Little Man, but when I turned round Hoppla and Little Man were both snuggled up in my shelf :shock:.

Big massive spider! OMG,OMG,OMG I had a big massive spider under my bed!!!

After 5 seconds of sheer horror my brain started working again and I thought, ok too loud for a spider (even for a big one) has to be a mouse...but how would a mouse get into my 3rd floor flat ???

:idea: Of course, the new bunny... brought the mouse into my flat (2am logic!).

I turned round again to go back to sleep.

And in my half sleep I thought -
But how did the bunny get the mouse in, without my noticing it???
If it had carried the mouse in it's mouth I would have seen it.
Maybe the mouse hid in its fur ???(still half asleep)-

Maybe it was a tiny baby mouse and that's why I didn't see it???
(defo tiniest baby mouse in the word;))

And then a brainwave -OMG :shock: :shock: NOT a baby mouse but baby rabbits under my bed (defo very awake now!!!).

I always leave the transport box which I used to transport Little Man to vets open with hay and yummy herbs in, so that he associates the box with something nice and is less stressed when we go to the vets.
Hoppla smart bunny that she is, decided this was the perfect place to give birth.

It was a lovely warm nest and in it were 3 babies, 2 wildies and one white and agouti colored baby. They were about 3 days old and impressed by me at all.
Hoppla was a great mum and even though she was still a baby herself, the vet estimated her to be 3 month, they all survived.

Here are the 3 babies

Spot the baby bunny :D

This is Little Mouse, who staid. The other 2 agouti babies went to a work colleague who already has 4 bunnies living in a bunny palace.

Little Mouse after he had the snip, feeling very sorry for himself.

Little Mouse today

Last edited:
Lola the sick bunny in the box, who somebody threw away and I found her on my birthday.

Little Man who is slowly turning into OLD Man

Hope you enjoyed their story :wave:

Last edited:
Just an amazing set of stories! Your bunnies are so lucky to have an owner like you that loves them and really gives them the chance they deserve!
They are all so gorgeous as well! :love::love:

Thank you. I was just very naive and had to learn about bunnies along the way.

I obviously think they are gorgeous- though I have seen so many amazing bunnies and so many wonderful people who have dedicated their lives to improoving the quality of live for bunnies, on RU-that I am humbled.

your bunnies are very lucky and beautiful. . . little mouse is:love:

one of my girls Lula got syphillis shortly after i got her, she was treated for a cold by a locum vet.
after over a week of messing about and it getting worse i knew it wasn't a cold and googled it and went to my vet (who was back by then) with a load of internet info. she was very impressed and we started the penicillin. it was gone within 2 weeks.

Yes, bunny savy vets are the minority.

Like your bunny, Hoppla only survived thanks to a forum like this.

It is the bunny owners who have to challenge the vets and if in doubt get a 2nd,3rd,4th.... opinion.

Back