• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

hi im new

Have you decided against rescueing? This site has lots of useful information on care, you can use the search tool at the top to look for any information and read through threads that might be useful to you :)

Good luck for tomorrow. In my sig there is a link to my site 'Flash's Place', on there there is a page called 'rabbit Info Articles' It is likely to have some useful info on there for you :)

Hi, you're getting lots of good advice, I was just going to add to make sure you research dental problems, as P@H will NOT tell you about this, but it can be a nasty shock if you end up with a dental bunny. It could end up costing you around £80 a month for dentals, sometimes more! It is also very distressing for the rabbit and yourself too to go through the anesthetic and trying to get them to eat after every dental.

My bun needed a dental in April because he stopped eating properly and then he wouldnt eat properly after ( because dentals are painful) and it ended up costing me £120, and 3 vets visits.

This is the reason I chose to get a rescue bunny this time, as rescue bunnies will have their teeth checked when they are neutered, so you can avoid the ones with problems (as bad as that sounds, but I know personally I dont really have the money for regular dentals!). So I now know that my new bunny will be unlikely to develop teeth problems. I also knew her temperment, medical history, and whether she was a chewer and littertrained - so I got to pick the right bunny for me.

The other reason is that these are the costs for a shop bunny:
rabbit: £30
vaccinations: £15 & £15 (one for VHD, one for Myxomatosis)
neutering: £55-80
Price overall for one rabbit: £115 - £140
Price overall for two rabbits: £230 - £280

These are the costs for a rescue bunny:
rabbit + vaccinations + neutering: £50
for two rescue bunnies: £100
obviously the price varies but most rescues charge between £35 and £60 per bunny I've found.

Oh and here is an article on dentals, its very technical but useful: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=51341

If you have your heart set on P@H, getting two at the same time will save you a LOT of work and worry with bonding later (obviously get two of the same sex) and I would not buy the hutch from them, as they are poorer quality and more expensive compared to what you can get online. They also only do 1 hutch that meets the Rabbit Welfare Association minimum hutch size (this one: http://www.petsathome.com/shop/orchard-manor-guinea-pig-and-rabbit-hutch-by-pets-at-home-16038 ) which would be fine but like I said a bit more expensive and poorer quality than you can get.

Last edited:
You've been given lots of great advice, I can't really add anything. Dutch are lovely bunnies :D, but remember, you will need to replace that hutch ASAP. 3ft really isn't big enough for a guinea pig, let alone a rabbit.

Back