• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hi! I'm new here and have a few questions...

Star-Dust

New Kit
Hi! So, my question is, I went to the pet store the other day and saw a chew toy treat thing that I really wanted to get my bunny. Unfortunately, it has corn. Almost all of the chew toy treats that are for rabbits there have corn in them. (It's whole corn, not ground corn.) Is there a kind of corn that they're using that's safe for rabbits that I just don't know about or something? Also, last night I made homemade treats for my bunny. They call for whole wheat flour, and I looked it up to see if it was safe for bunnies. The only answer I got was about all purpose flour. Nothing about whole wheat flour. I made them anyway and gave my bunny one. I want to make sure whole wheat flour is safe for bunnies before I give her anymore. (I'm pretty sure it is, but I am very careful that I don't give her something that will hurt her.) Thanks!!

Hello and welcome Star-Dust! Love that name! You are good in being cautious about what you are feeding your bunny. Quite a lot of treats for rabbits are not good for them. We consider corn is one of them I'm afraid. Now, someone on the Forum made their rabbits Cookies not long ago but I am fairly sure there was no flour in them. Flour is not something I would give to my rabbits and bread is definitely a no-no. There are lots of things you can give to your bunny as a treat, perhaps a tiny piece of carrot or apple, most rabbits love Readigrass or Herbs, or a different hay, perhaps one with Marigolds in it. Well done for being careful as it can avoid bunny getting tummy problems.

Thanks!! I've seen many recipes for bunny treats that call for whole wheat flour, but I just wanted to make sure. I know guinea pigs can't have whole wheat flour. I was looking for a treat that I could just quickly grab and give it to her instead of having to cut it or wash it off. But, I could probably just dry some organic fruit. (Granny-smith apples and bananas are her favorite.)

Hi! So, my question is, I went to the pet store the other day and saw a chew toy treat thing that I really wanted to get my bunny. Unfortunately, it has corn. Almost all of the chew toy treats that are for rabbits there have corn in them. (It's whole corn, not ground corn.) Is there a kind of corn that they're using that's safe for rabbits that I just don't know about or something? Also, last night I made homemade treats for my bunny. They call for whole wheat flour, and I looked it up to see if it was safe for bunnies. The only answer I got was about all purpose flour. Nothing about whole wheat flour. I made them anyway and gave my bunny one. I want to make sure whole wheat flour is safe for bunnies before I give her anymore. (I'm pretty sure it is, but I am very careful that I don't give her something that will hurt her.) Thanks!!

Welcome Star-Dust :wave:

Your bun certainly sounds like a well-loved and pampered bunny :)

Can you use herbs as treats? I often give some strand of parsley, coriander or dill and the bunnies absolutely love them!

Wheat flour won't kill a rabbit, but it's not good to have a lot of it, certainly.

I'll try the herbs. :) I just finished drying some carrots and she absolutely LOVES them! She can't get enough of them.

Back