• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

HELP.

Assuming you live in New Jersey, if you give some of these places a call, I'm sure they can give you loads of assistance with practical care and advice. We are not getting at you or accusing you of killing your rabbit, but please please listen to what the others are telling you, this is REALLY important if you want the babies to live and be healthy. These babies need experienced help, if not then they will very likely die and you would feel terrible if that happened, I know I would.

http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/NJ251.html
http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/NJ86.html
http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/NJ299.html

please do listen to the advice given here, the people who are giving it to you are very experienced and knowledgable and know what thay are talking about.

it seems that the best thing would be for the babies to get checked out by someone who has studies for years in order to be able to identify problems and help both you and the rabbits. you cannot learn everything you need to know from a website, otherwise we would all be vets!

please please consider getting your babies the appropriate help. they need you to make the right desision here. i'm sure you want them to continue to be healthy, you need help to do this.

smallbrownfrog said:
you cannot learn everything you need to know from a website, otherwise we would all be vets!

Wish it was that simple! Then I wouldn't have to get up at 7 every day and drive for 40mins in the freezing cold on my scooter...I could spend the day, cozy and warm, with the bunnies...

okk i did talk to a vet he said if they dont like the milk then what i am to do is feed them hays and pellets and weigh then everyday and make sure they are gaining if not take them bac and has to be given up. ok also i am not sure it is eclampsia. But nothing has affected the babies..I knoe what i am doing with this. They can live with me AND DONT have to be given to sum one. ok i am expericned just not at rabbit deaths. ok. thNKS

Hi missoxoqtee :wave:

No-one is having a go at you and we know that you love and care for your bunnies because you are on here asking for advice. :) What we need in this topic is more smilies :D

It is always hard to write something without it being taken the wrong way sometimes, its very different from talking to someone on the phone or face to face.

Death is always hard to deal with no matter what your age is but I know it will be very hard for you being 13 and it is not going to be easy being a replacement mom to your babies and I think you are very brave. I am 39 years old and would be panicking if I were in your situation right now :oops: (but dont tell anyone my age because I always claim to be 21 :wink: )

I have never been in your situation before but I think what people are trying to say is, because your babies are still very young is to try and give them as much replacement milk as possible for aleast a couple more weeks. Its a bit like us humans, with our new born babies, milk is vital as it contains lots of essential nutrients that the body needs etc before we can be weaned onto solids. Perhaps you could find an old dolls bottle with a rubber teat on it that you could sterilise and your baby buns might find it easier to take milk from. :D

I hope you have a supportive family who is helping you with your babies, I am sure your mom would'nt mind helping feeding them if you gave her a big sloppy kiss :D I know if I was your mom I would love to help :D

How many babies to you have :?: and do you have a name :?: I am finding missoxoqtee abit hard remembering how to spell :wink:

my name is leanna and i have 4 baby rabbits and they are 24 days old. and i do give them kitten replacemet milk and bene bak. and i bought the bottles the whole kit. and also the babies dont eat it at all. they hate it so i am not forcing it i am not givin them milk only the bene bac for nutreitnes. and i feed them alafaa and hay. and are these normal weights for a 24 day old rabbits--
1 wieghs. 9.5g
2 weighs. 8.6g
3. 10.1 g
4 weighs 7.1g
i weighed them yesterday and i will wweigh them later but is that normal rite?

Hi Leanna :wave: now that I can spell :D :thumb:

Regards the weights I really have not got a clue, what breed are your babies or, if they are mixed, what breed was their mom and dad bun :?:

I would probably keep weighing them every day so that you can see that they are gaining weight :)

Once we know what breed your babies are we can have a search around to see what weights they should be. Weights are going to vary if mom and dad are different breeds I would of thought.

Me being an oldie :roll: I am not very good with the new metric weights :roll: I am a lb and ounces women :roll: :lol: :lol:

Hi Leanna :D

I would'nt have thought that your babies are not going to grow into huge bunnies but I still dont know about the weight issue. I think we need some expert advice here from Rexy Bexy, Yvonne, anyone :?:

Does anyone know if Leanna's babies are a good weight for their ages :?:

ok im not sure about the weight as i dont work in grams and never weight my babies, but as long as they keep putting on weight, have unlimited supply of hay and i feed my babies twice a day. So if they have bellies on them and not losing weight then they shall be fine. As for not liking the milk y not try soaking it in bread or give them some lactol. I know my nurcing mothers with big litter love the milk soaked in bread and go mad for it but dont like the milk by its self. If not bread soak porrage oats or there pellets in the milk
good luck
becky

Bunnyboarding said:
Do you have anybody that can assist you with experience of handrearing these orphaned babies. Are you 'topping & tailing' them to keep them clean & to stimulate urination/defecation as the mother would've done? The feeding utensils must be sterilised inbetween feeds & the milk substitute must be made up with colled, boiled water. You will also need to keep the babies warm (use either fur/hay from the original nest or cotton wool in a shoe box in the airing cupboard)

these babies are over three weeks old and do not need cleaning for urination or decafication as they should be doing it for them self as they are eating solids, this is only nessicary when they are milk feeding only. they also will keep each other warm and will not need fur just straw. the babies will huddle together to keep warm.
also at this stage she will not need a foster rabbit and a foster rabbit at this stage would not accept the babies, all though not ideal these babies will and can survive without the mother.

If you wish to foster them onto a nursing doe (Expert help would be required for this) you won't be able to if you are syringe feeding them more than 24 hours as they lose the suckling reflex if syringe fed for over this period of time. Therefore either use a glass-eye dropper for the milk or be prepared for syringe feeding them indefinately. Also exercise some caution & take your time with feeding as it is very easy for the milk to go down the wrong hole & aspiration pneumonia occurs this way.

hey..thanx for answering me everyone when i need help. k the babies r fine they eat pellets and alfala. the one gray baby cleans all of them and i sumtimes put my male rabbit with them and he cleans then and comforts them. they gain everyday. also question. i had talken to this girl about feeding them carrots and lettuce and i had given them one carrot and a small piece of lettuce and she had told me they could die and i took a big risk. but they seem to be fine they love it so muchh...and i was wondering ebven though they love it so muchh should i not give it to them? kk thanx happy neww yearss evee..alsoo they drink out of water bottles without ny problems.alsoo the babies get hyper sumtimess is that normall they like to jump all aroundd the cage and they like jump high..lol..is that normall too? kk byeszz thanx

Re: ....

missoxoqtee said:
hey..thanx for answering me everyone when i need help. k the babies r fine they eat pellets and alfala. the one gray baby cleans all of them and i sumtimes put my male rabbit with them and he cleans then and comforts them. they gain everyday. also question. i had talken to this girl about feeding them carrots and lettuce and i had given them one carrot and a small piece of lettuce and she had told me they could die and i took a big risk. but they seem to be fine they love it so muchh...and i was wondering ebven though they love it so muchh should i not give it to them? kk thanx happy neww yearss evee..alsoo they drink out of water bottles without ny problems.alsoo the babies get hyper sumtimess is that normall they like to jump all aroundd the cage and they like jump high..lol..is that normall too? kk byeszz thanx

hi leanne yes it is perfectly normal for them to be jumping around like that, mine do!!! and they are only 8 weeks.....please STOP giving them veg it can kill them i know they like it and would munch all day but it is no good until they are about 5/6 months old and that goes for wet grass, so dont let them on the lawn when its damp or wet!!!!
get them some alfa blocks instead they love them and its great for there teeth.

i would avoid placing them with the father after they are nine weeks old because he can make the females pregnant and he will fight with the boys once they come of age around 10/12 weeks. you will also need to segregate the boys as well because they will start to fight.....

are you keeping them or rehoming them

hope to talk to you very soon, have you any pictures
bunnylove xxx

yea i know i only put them together like two and hes nuetured so he cnt get them pergant and i know they will fight but its to early to see any signs of that. and im keepin lik 2. and the other 2 do u think its a good idea to give them and put up for adoption in the place i had bought my rabbit from? well laetrss happii 05'

Re: ...

missoxoqtee said:
yea i know i only put them together like two and hes nuetured so he cnt get them pergant and i know they will fight but its to early to see any signs of that. and im keepin lik 2. and the other 2 do u think its a good idea to give them and put up for adoption in the place i had bought my rabbit from? well laetrss happii 05'

leanne you can and should find out if they will take them or you can post on the rabbit rehome site (where do you live new jersery right) wheres that? but what ever you are going to do with them make plans soon, so you are not stuck with bunns and know where to put them. i am glad to hear the male is neutered, is he recently neutered? yes they are a too young to fight but it can happen from 10 weeks on.

talk to you soon
bunnylove xx :p

A vet is the person to ask, we arent medical all we can do is share experiences. They are the experts and have studied for many years. Getting the kits checked out would be the same as getting the baby checked out if their mother died. Human wise.

That fact that it could be a number of things that the mother died of makes it more important that a vet gets involved or you could loose some of those kits too. Bunns hide illness well and we need to be extra careful when the situation is like this.

Bunny love.. New Jersey is in America so i dont think Rabbit Rehome would be any good here as its a british site.
Glad the babies seem to be doing ok leanna, good luck finding homes for them.

There is some good advice here :D Hope everything is ok Leanna, glad you and your babies are doing well. Keeps us posted :D

Back