• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help!

kldshasta

New Kit
Hello, my name is Karen and I'm kind of desperate for information or ideas. I have 3 bunnies, all approximately 5 years old. My male bun was just fine this morning, or so it seemed when I let them out of their cage to roam. Several hours later I noticed he was missing and so I went on a rabbit hunt. I found him back in his cage huddled under something and refusing to come out and eat a treat of a cranberry....he loves them! I reached in and got him but he was not fighting me, at all. So, I guess I should take him to the vet but I'm actually just a few minutes from leaving town. Any ideas? At all? Quickly, what should I look for? Yikes, I don't know what to do!!

Hello, my name is Karen and I'm kind of desperate for information or ideas. I have 3 bunnies, all approximately 5 years old. My male bun was just fine this morning, or so it seemed when I let them out of their cage to roam. Several hours later I noticed he was missing and so I went on a rabbit hunt. I found him back in his cage huddled under something and refusing to come out and eat a treat of a cranberry....he loves them! I reached in and got him but he was not fighting me, at all. So, I guess I should take him to the vet but I'm actually just a few minutes from leaving town. Any ideas? At all? Quickly, what should I look for? Yikes, I don't know what to do!!

Welcome to the Forum :wave:

You got it, I'm afraid. Either you, or someone, has to take him to the vet. This sounds like an issue (possibly gut stasis) which won't go away on it's own. He needs help now, you can't afford to leave him, he's probably in pain.

There's an article here about gut stasis, if that's what it is:

http://www.vettimes.co.uk/article/managing-gi-stasis-in-rabbits/

Hi Karen, I'm afraid I agree. He needs to see a vet asap. Sending vibes for him, please let us know how he gets on.

welcome2-1_zpsc2zsdhld.gif

Welcome. Hope your bunny made it to the vet and got some help. Please let us know how he's doing.

About my bunny

Hello again and thank you to everyone for your help and concern for my little guy.

As I said, I was going out of town and couldn't stay long enough to do anything like take him to the vet. I got home later that evening and he was barely hanging on. It broke my heart.....he did expire, in my arms and all I could say was "sorry bunny, I'm so sorry!" :cry:

I don't take it lightly AT ALL, I had him from the day he was born to the Mama that I rescued as she was hopping around my neighborhood. I trapped her and three weeks later I had seven bunnies. The only two that made it past the first day were a female and my little boy bunny. I got him neutered so I didn't become a "breeder" He was jet black and had the most beautiful brown eyes that spoke sweetness to my heart. So, I still have the Mama and the female daughter. If I figure out how.....I will post a photo of the three in the luxury bunny castle I've made for them.

So, thank you to all you other bunny lovers. I've come to the conclusion that it probably was the gut stasis. He was one to almost always have "dirty pants" According to the articles I've read and if I understand, that is a sign that maybe the digestion isn't the best in them?

Anyway, Thank you.

Hi Karen, I'm afraid I agree. He needs to see a vet asap. Sending vibes for him, please let us know how he gets on.

I'm new to this site. I posted a reply regarding my bun but do you and everyone else see it? Just wanted to let you know, he passed on and I appreciate your concern. Thank you.

Thank you, yes, it is sad. His sister and mama seem to be acting a little strange since his passing. I don't know how much they understand but.......they're getting better.

Rabbits are very fragile creatures. Sadly if they stop eating they can go downhill very quickly. I hope your two does are behaving OK now.

Back