• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help with Metacam dosage -sorry me again

BeccyTune

Young Bun
Right it says on the bottle 1.5mg and 10ml. I have been told to give Ludo 15 drops daily on her food. Im splitting the dosage but what is an average dose when syrining? The drops are varying in size and I don't want to give my precious girl an overdose. This "drops" dosage is hardly an exact science, just need to know if there is allowance for the varying drop sizes

Ive just started Twinkle on Meloxidyl which I believe is similar to metacam but dont take my word for it.

She weighs 2.25kgs and I have been told to give her 1ml once a day. It looks like a tiny amount in the syringe.

Our medication is 1.5mg in a 10ml bottle.

If you have one of those really thin syringes in the box why dont you take the end off the syringe and drop 15 drops into the syringe and see how much it measures.

Good luck

Its not very thin but I suppose that would work. I guess what I need to know really is what is classed as a drop. Are we talking tiny or something a bit more substantial.
Either way Ludo is loving it!

rabbits seem to love the tast of metacam d heard it was honey flavoured :?, best to check with you vet again regarding dose amount, ive always given from syringe and not onto food

The metacam dosage is 0.6mg per kilo twice daily maybe ask your vet if they can equate it into a dose you can give by syringe?
The bottle is also designed to give a standard size drop if light pressure is applied so theoretically each drop should be the same size

I use a 1 ml thin syringe and take the top bit of the Metacam bottle.Instead of a drop dose we do 0.6mls per kilo twice a day (for a maximum dose).This dosage is the recognised amount a bun can take.
Ive always found this the easiest way as weve been using this med for many months but I know everyone has their prefered way-this just works for us.;)

Back