• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help with Bungle please- Update, seen vet.

Daz had a similar thing. I brush him daily and he still gets matts over night.
It had a really bad moult similar to Bungle just before his 'proper adult hair' came through. He had some bald spots appear. It all grew back and we have't had the same problem since.

You can get some soothing cream stuff from the pet shop that is safe for bunnies.

Thanks. His bald patch is even bigger today and looks quite sore so hopefully the vet will be able to give me some cream for him tomorrow. I dont want to use sudacrem as he is grooming alot.

Although Spud and Hedgehog are matted badly I am only brushing them every other day as their skin is red raw. Normally I would just cut the matts but they are so close to the skin and they are such wigglers that I can't do that, so their skin is really suffering. Because Hedgehog has pink skin you can see how inflammed it actually is :( I don't want them to hate being brushed so I think cutting back to allow the skin to die down is the only option at the moment :(

Although Spud and Hedgehog are matted badly I am only brushing them every other day as their skin is red raw. Normally I would just cut the matts but they are so close to the skin and they are such wigglers that I can't do that, so their skin is really suffering. Because Hedgehog has pink skin you can see how inflammed it actually is :( I don't want them to hate being brushed so I think cutting back to allow the skin to die down is the only option at the moment :(

I havent brushed him since yesterday morning when we saw the bald patch as its going to be too sore for him. I have been grabbing him every few hours and snipping another tiny bit away with those really small face scissors you told me about.

Got quite a bit more off this morning so hopefully it should become less painful. Its the bit around his tail thats difficult, I assume they have skin in their tails around the bone? I dont want to cut it and he wont let me get close enough to look properly.

I will try and get some more pictures of him later once he has calmed down.

Just got back from the vets. She wanted to treat him for mites just in case so he has had 2 drops of ivermectin on his neck today and I have a bottle at home to do him 2 drops once a week for 3 weeks.

Had his nose checked out again as its been really damp recently but there is no infection there so it is just coming from his nose and lip not been connected properly.

It probably is the fur - i have no experience of this as never had a long-haired bun, but the other experienced types seem to have suffered the same thing. Just thought i'd mention it could also be fur/hay mites - they are like seriously tiny black specks, but very hard to see if the coat is long and fluffy :roll:.

If it is mites, try freezing his hay/straw for 48 hours before giving it to him - this will kill the mites, but not affect the hay quality etc much. Lots of sources of hay etc have them periodically, you cant do much about it other than treat when it occurs and destroy them in the hay.

It probably is the fur - i have no experience of this as never had a long-haired bun, but the other experienced types seem to have suffered the same thing. Just thought i'd mention it could also be fur/hay mites - they are like seriously tiny black specks, but very hard to see if the coat is long and fluffy :roll:.

If it is mites, try freezing his hay/straw for 48 hours before giving it to him - this will kill the mites, but not affect the hay quality etc much. Lots of sources of hay etc have them periodically, you cant do much about it other than treat when it occurs and destroy them in the hay.

Thanks. I think it is just his moult going mad but the vet wanted to treat for mites now just in case so I went with what she said. His skin is quite sore so she didnt want to just leave him without at least trying something.

Eddie is regulaly treated for mites, he is always picking them up. I assumed its because his immune system is so rubbish but may be it is also a cashmere thing :?

Back