• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help with bonding - he's so rough

bunnytrio

Young Bun
We recently lost 2 of our bunnies and we have one lovely female left :(

She is neutered and we have gone to the RSPCA to find her a friend.

We have bought him home on Sunday. He is a young male and has also been neutered.

Hermoine our girl bunny has a large hutch in a very large run. So our new bunny - Sherbet has been put in a brand new hutch in the run (which has been re-paved and turfed a week ago).

Each bunny takes it in turns to use the run, but never as the same time. They can see each other and sniff each other through the hutch wire.

We have been bonding the rabbits since Sunday. But I wanted to ask some advice.

For the last 3 days, we have set up a run on the lawn that is 'neutral' to both rabbits and have let them have some time together.

First day - Sherbet spent most of his time 'humping' Hermoine. She let him, but seemed very scared.

Second day - Hermoine has had her tail raised and has been running away from Sherbet - but she has been letting him mount her.

Today - for the first time, after some 'humping' Hermoine has let Sherbet groom her. The trouble is that he is really rough. He has been grooming around her eyes, which makes me really nervous in case he bites her, but I have let him do it - it seems ok He has attempted to groom her head. But after a short while she has had enough of him and will not let him get near her.

There has been a bit of fur in the run after he mounts her (all Hermoines) and I understand that this is normal. However, today I have seen that she has got a lump of hair out of the area between her shoulders and there is some blood - it is not bleeding, but it looks like he has nipped her too hard.

I think that he is just an over jealous juvenile, and that we are making progress as she has let him groom her for a little while, but he just seems so rough.

I might just be a possessive mum (!), but I hate it that he is so rough with her - I think that he just doesn't know how to do things.

As Sherbet is from the RSPCA, and was dumped in their car park, we have no idea of his history, but he has been micro chipped. I would imagine he has never had a bunny friend before.

Any advice would be really welcome

Back