• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help with administering panacur

Hello and welcome.

Is it the rabbit panacur as this is palatable to rabbits. I take two sage leaves from the garden, squeeze the dose on to one and pop on the other leaf to make a sandwich. Or I cut a half inch of celery and squeeze it in to the hollow. I feed it first before they get anything else.

Have you been told to give it for 28 days and to do the bleach cleaning?

Should you have to administer meds directly in to the mouth I would advise taking bun in o a room he is not familiar with, this usually quietness them.

I put bun on a towel on the kitchen table, bottom to my tummy, steady bun and encourage in to a 'nestled down' position. Keeping a hand close over the shoulders to prevent movement. I stoke bunny to settle and reasure, over the head encourages a useful low position. Leaning over bun I use my left hand over buns head to lift the side of the top lip, slide in syring expecting head to raise, hold firm, depress plunger, hold head until meds Re swallowed.

I really think vets should show owners how to give meds when they prescribe them - I know I had no idea the first time and was useless despite being well able to administer oral meds to a horse!

Another vote for giving it on a fenugreek crunchie. :)

When Zinzan was diagnosed with EC I had 8 rabbits. They all needed panacur for weeks. Fengreek crunchies were the only way I could manage giving that number of doses for that amount of time - it would have taken hours to give it to them all directly from the syringe.

Well I tried the weetabix and they both loved it :thumb:

until Thumper came across hers which had medicine soaked into it. She refused it and it's gone in the bin :roll::lol: stupid rabbit ... :roll:

She's just had her second, timed dose. Directly into her mouth out of the syringe. It's her own fault; I did try! :lol:

I had the same problem with my bunny a couple of weeks ago and someone from this forum suggested a basil sandwich, putting the panacur between two leaves. Safe to say it worked a treat!! :)

When I had to treat my rabbit Jazz for e cuniculi I had exactley the same problem he would have it at first via the syringe but soon tired of it,the easiest way to do it I found and this also ment he wasn't stressed picking him up and trying to force it down him was getting two shreddies administer the dose of panacur on top of the shreddie then put the other sheddie on top like a little sandwich and he wolfed it down xx

I have tried the "sandwich" method of giving medicine.

It didn't work.

The only way to give my bunnies their oral medication, it seems, is directly into the mouth via the syringe as it's too expensive to keep throwing it away (i.e. in soggy food that they refuse to eat). Yes, it stresses them out a little bit, but they soon calm down afterwards.

Sorry girls; it's entirely your own fault!!

:wave: Amazing how different all our bunnies are. My poorly bun Saffylop will take Panacur and metacam straight off the syringe but she will refuse fibreplex. She is a right pain in the 'bun' as she will eat almost anything but hay:? Have got five different ones atm still to no avail. I have just made her some bunny biscuits to try and trick her!! Watch this space. I WILL win.:lol: While here...Dose anyone know correct length of time to give panacur. She has had 28 days, then I read 6 weeks. Also, is repeat dose recommended four times a year? Thank you,:)

They all are so different aren't they!!!I did slit a green bean with a sharp knife and squirt the panacur in there which worked but was more faffy than the shreddies,prior to that I tried the old squirt it on the paws and then he had to lick it off,I guess it's a case of keep trying till you find what works.I treated for six weeks when I did my course.x

Back