• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help! unexpected babies!

Aw, it's great they are doing so well.

It is generally a myth that does reject, although some are more highly strung than others and are more prone to attacking the babies if they smell different.

I have handled litters from two days old with no problems at all. I would say, if you are not sure, then wait until their eyes are open, or if you are more unsure, until they come out of the nest. If you have any concerns about the doe then try putting a dab on vanilla over her nose before putting the babies back, so all she can smell is the vanilla, and also don't handle the babies with any strong smells on your hands, just the smells of the doe and the babies (so stroke the doe first).

They will be coming up to their eyes opening soon. They generally open 10-12 days after birth. If they open and then shut again, or seem to be oozing something, then you will need to take them to the vets. If they don't open by day 14 then you need to have a warm water compress on them. Don't peel the lids apart. If the compress doesn't work after a couple of tries that bun will need the vets too. Hopefully all will be fine though :D

Aww I'm pleased that she's took care of all of them after the two nests issues :)

Are you planning on keeping them?

Thanks for the advice Sky-O

As much as I'd like to keep them, it's not really practical. My next door neighbour has already hinted that they may like one (although I hope to persuade them to take 2 - hate to think of a rabbit on it's own) which would be easier on my kids. It's going to be hard to seperate my daughter from them - but would make it easier if she knew they were just next door.

J

Hi,

Kits are approaching 3 weeks old, eyes open and starting to wander around a little although mostly still in the nesting box (had to rescue one who'd made it downstairs to the lower level of the hutch overnight and couldn't get back up). I've noticed that the nest and hutch are starting to look a bit of a mess (I've been holding back doing too much cleaning as I didn't want to disturb things). At what point should I be able to remove the Doe & Kits from the nest to do a bit of a clean?

Also I assume that I need to leave the nest intact? It's just that some parts of it are starting to get urine soaked and in need of a clean.

J

Now. Ideally it should be cleaned regularly from 10 days old or so because of the risk of infection. You can take out the nest box shortly (when they spend more time out the nest than in it), but you can leave some of the clean nest in the nest box so that they know where their base is and how to get back there.

If they can't manage getting up and down the lower level it may be worth blocking that off just to be on the safe side, and opening it only when they are being supervised, or someone is around just to do regular checks.

Back