• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help! unexpected babies!

saundej

New Kit
Hi,

Went to feed the 2 rabbits this morning and found 3 babies in the hutch (male was already neutered but guess I did get around to it in time).

I've removed the male from the hutch and the female seems to have built a reasonable nest. Was just wondering was there anything I need to be doing differently?

Also the babies are actually covered over with nest fur so you can't really see them, not sure if they should be uncovered or will the female still be able to feed them (sure Im just a bit neurotic and she know what she's doing)

Thanks

Don't worry Mummy is very very good at looking her kits, they only feed them once a day, and cover them back up to keep them safe. I would offer mum an unlimited supply of food until the little ones are on solids (making milk takes a lot of resources) which is normally about 4/5 weeks.

Well done for separating dad away. He needs to stay away until the kits are grown and able to be sexed and separated (8-9 weeks)

Check each day that the kits are warm, and pink, and that none have died (any dead kits need to be removed) but before touching them rub your hands in a bit of the mummies litter so you don't leave your sent all over them.

You can keep asking for advice as they grow, but what i found with my pregnant foster bunnies was that they just got on with it, and by 3-4 weeks the little ones were out with mummy hopping round, and they grew and got on with it.... I just fussed them, and kept an eye on them making sure they were okay.

she'll only feed them once a day and will keep them well covered, try not to touch or move them. hope someone else can give you some more advice. :wave:

Thanks for the replies.

Well all 3 kits survived their first night, are quite warm and active. one thing I noticed this morning is that there now seems to be 2 nests. one with 1 kit in and the other with 2 at the opposite side of the hutch.

I'm sure I read somewhere that they should all really be in the same nest.

Anyone have any comments?

Thanks..

Anyone have any comments regarding the 2 nests thing?

She appears to be fussing around both of the nests so assume all is ok - just wondered if anyone has any experience of this before?

she probabley had one before the others so made 2 sperate nest plus having the male in with her at the time of birth it may just been an accidental 2nd nest

Rabbits don't move their babies so it might be one wriggled away and so she did the best she could and made a nest for it.

If you can, stroke the doe, and then pick the baby up and move it back. If the mum gets funny just put a dab of vanilla just above her nose and she won't realise the baby smells slightly different.

Also, depending on when the boy was neutered, it's possible she is pregnant again. Rabbits are most wanting to breed up to 72 hours after birth, so you might find in four weeks you get another litter come along (just to prepare you).

Do the babies look like they have swallowed ping pong balls? If they do, they they are being fed and mum is doing an excellent job.

Good news that they survived the night. No advice on caring for baby rabbits I'm afraid, but it is very likely that the female is pregnant again, as the female can become pregnant again straight after birth.

H'mm,

the kit on his own is a bit of a porker so I'm absolutely sure he's being fed. The other 2 aren't as big and don't really have that 'pot-bellied' look so I'm not so sure about them. But they're still really active and warm.

spose it could be due to them having to 'share' their mother at feeding wheras the other gets mum all to himself...

Very possibly. If you can put them altogether then mum might feed them twice a day. If they are not that fat, then you can help mum feed them, by standing her over them, stroking her, relaxing her, giving her treats so she stays there, and they will probably latch on. It might just be she is a bit confused by having two nests.

So I suppose the question is do I move the 2 kits to the single kit's nest or move the single kit in with the other 2?

Then if it were me (and I did have to move a kit once) I would move the single one back to the original nest.

Best to move them into one nest as one is on its own. The heat from the group helps keep them warm so a singleton is more prone to getting cold. Move them to the most logical nest you can add the second nest to the first if it needs building up.

Tam

I have had many litter with my does and all you have to do is make sure she is eating well and has enough water and she will do the rest herself. She can easily feed them under all that fur but you can always peep and see if they are all ok she shouldn't mind if she knows your scent and is friendly

Hope this helps

Update.

I did move the kit to be with other 2 and all 3 still appear to be doing fine. The 'porker' is still doing really well and is still further advanced than the other 2 - he's the only one with any fur developing (looks like he's gonna be black & white)

Thanks for the advice all

Hi all,

3 baby bunnies still doing fine.

They're around 10 days old now (2 black & white and one all black). I was wondering at what age can they be safely handled without any risk of the mother rejecting them?

J

Back