• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help Pregnancy??

OMG.... if you havent already been onto the phone complaining to this totally incompetant vet, do so now!! I'm certainly not having a go at you, not at all, but you may be able to prevent the same 'accident' happening again... I'd be fuming!:evil:

I also agree that I wouldnt have let the doe carry on with the pregnancy I would have demanded a free, or at least reduced price emergency spay..... I dont think its good for such a young bun to be having babies but even if everything goes ok, theres enough bunnies in the world as it it..... obviously its your decision and I hope everything turns out ok for you all in the end. :wave:

Yeah but would you trust such an incompetant vet to do a spay without killing the rabbit? :?

Well i would suspect if someone had already complained about their treatment then they would be ultra careful. I don't think you should go over the top by suggesting that because the vet nurses (and lets not forget it's them that give the aftercare advice, not the vet) forgot to tell someone that the rabbit would be furtile for a few weeks, that the vet would kill a rabbit if they tried to neuter it. You have to accept that this could be a vet nurse fault, the vet could be stunning with rabbits, how do you know?

Blimey. I would be worried for her health giving birth at such a young age. The litter itself is likely to be small in numbers though.

If you chose to procede with pregnancy it is vaitally important that you give her adequate support in terms of diet to allow her to cope with the pressure of the kits and also to keep the kits themselves healthy.

There is always the option she may 'self-abort' if she feels unable to cope with the pregnancy but that could be after birth as well as before. :cry:

Last edited:
Back To Defcon Three

Well...
Firstly I would like to say thank you to all for your input here.
Then I would like to say that after a long time waiting, and watching, and not really knowing what was going on but wanting to leave things as natural as possible... Abigail didn't have a litter.
Whether that was because she absorbed them, I dont know. She never acted out of the ordinary, never really got to a hair pulling out stage, and never had any sign of discomfort of 'back end' trouble.

I assume that I was mistaken in thinking she was pregnant. She must just be extremely good at belly dancing and we mistook that for movement.
Either way the advice on seperating them was excellent and probably made sure we didn't have a litter anyway.
The two bunnies are now back together again and happy, although Mummy bunny doesn't like being handled much anymore since she was left to her own devices for some weeks.
:?

Thanks for updating everyone on this. :) Glad it's turned out as it has for you but you seem to have your head screwed on anyway - I'm sure things would have worked out anyway had it been the other way around.

I'm so glad everything has worked out for the best for you and the buns. Now you can just settle back and enjoy them. When you go to the vet do you go on public transport, or are you lucky enough to have a car? If you've your own transport then just ask at reception for someone to come out and tell you when it's your turn so you can keep the buns in a quiet environment. That's what I do at my vet's.

Thank you thank you :)

Things are much better the last two days with handling Abigail again. Not to sound bigheaded but I really think she loves me best ;)
She has responded to continued 'normal' handling (to and fro from their main large hutch which sits opposite one of my kitchen windows in the yard - to their large figure of eight playpen on the grass in the garden with their outdoor 'rain/emergancy' mini hutch).
My mum was suggesting I move the main hutch into the garden and make a permanant run attached to hutch setup so that I neednt handle them anymore (I literally have scars running down my arms and i own a Bunny Coat - the largest coat I have!).
I said though that for me it would completely defeat the purpose of having bunnies, and that I'd keep trying.

I was disheartened before the last couple of days as she seemed worse than ever re aggression with handling, but we really seem to have turned the corner together and I'm proud of her. Not her fault she stopped being used to it huh.
I don't think she'll ever be a 'cuddly' bunny like the kids wanted which is a shame, but I think more families need to be warned that bunnies seem to seldom turn out that way even with the best circumstances and patience. I would have thought twice had I known in advance. She is however one of the family of course. And who knows, perhaps Ricky's more laid back bunny attitude will rub off.

I honestly didn't think my Charlie would be a cuddly bunny but he hops on our knee for nuzzles and cuddles all the time now (when he's ready for it of course, not us!!). Instead of stroking with your hand, try nuzzling with your nose - Charlie absolutely adores this and always has!! I think they find this less threatening.

Hope things continue to go well and as was said before - enjoy!! :D

I will do that more! Thank you :)
I do stick my face up and nuzzle/nudge in an attempt at bunny lingo. I also do nose calming twitches. My boyfriend thinks i'm insane by the way.

Back