• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

HELP!! Poorly Bunny with eyes constantly scanning left to right and off balance

The vet wanted to see her at end of antibiotics for a weight plan as she had lost weight but as she's back on the pellets she's fattening up nicely so I'm not sure it's worth stressing her out or the money. She's been off the antibiotics a few days and is her usual happy self so will see how she goes. Will she straighten up do you think? And decide she does remember how to use the upstairs of her hutch?

The vet wanted to see her at end of antibiotics for a weight plan as she had lost weight but as she's back on the pellets she's fattening up nicely so I'm not sure it's worth stressing her out or the money. She's been off the antibiotics a few days and is her usual happy self so will see how she goes. Will she straighten up do you think? And decide she does remember how to use the upstairs of her hutch?

I am glad she is fattening up, that's great news :)

I agree with you about keep stress to a minimum.

Regards her head, there are several things you can do to help this. I was discussing a head tilt rabbit last night and there is always hope for a tilt to straighten :) I have several tips and tricks up my sleeve ...

Scroll down on this and see the techniques. I particularly like the 'carrot technique' :D

http://www.disabledrabbits.com/massage.html

Sounds as though she is doing well at the moment. It's not really possible to say if her 'tilt' will ever straighten up. It may improve a little over time. Or you may find that it remains much the same but Bunny adapts to being 'on the wonk'.

Regarding the upstairs of the hutch. I assume that she'd need to use a ramp to access the upper level ? If so then she may not yet have the confidence to use the ramp. You could help her by making a barrier to run along each side of the ramp and lining the ramp with something with a good amount of traction. The you could try placing a few treats on the ramp and see if you can encourage her to use it. It is likely that she will be more worried about going down a ramp than going up. So if she does manage to go up the ramp you'll need to make sure she has some water and food 'upstairs' incase she is too nervous to come down.

It can be useful to use massage to help relieve the tension in the neck muscles. Acupuncture can also be very useful too x

How is she managing with the ramp? Have you let her try it with you watching her?

Is there some way you could widen the ramp and put something with traction on it (like the stuff that goes under rugs to stop them slipping) to help her?

Perhaps she could be contained on one level for the moment, or perhaps that's not possible?

I pushed her butt and she can go up and then she didn't go down until I pushed her and guided her with my hands on either side of her so she didn't fall. The ramp already has a banister and the grip blocks we doubled in size as she's a fussy madam and wouldn't use it as it was.

It's not the end of the world if she doesn't go upstairs as she's out of the house anyway most of the time. She's fine climbing on boxes and in and out of stuff. The hutch will be going eventually when all the rabbits are bonded so it's not the worst thing if she doesn't want to go up.

I will read about her wonky head and how to straighten it. It doesn't stop her running and playing which is the main thing

I pushed her butt and she can go up and then she didn't go down until I pushed her and guided her with my hands on either side of her so she didn't fall. The ramp already has a banister and the grip blocks we doubled in size as she's a fussy madam and wouldn't use it as it was.

It's not the end of the world if she doesn't go upstairs as she's out of the house anyway most of the time. She's fine climbing on boxes and in and out of stuff. The hutch will be going eventually when all the rabbits are bonded so it's not the worst thing if she doesn't want to go up.

I will read about her wonky head and how to straighten it. It doesn't stop her running and playing which is the main thing

Ah you are working very hard to give her such a good life!

I fund this site quite helpful too :)

https://onthewonk.co.uk/headtilt-help/

It sounds as though she is adjusting to life on the wonk at her own pace :) She certainly has done very well :love:

Back