• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

HELP!! Poorly Bunny with eyes constantly scanning left to right and off balance

Yes we have stemetil and metacam although running low on the metacam. She's acting like her normal self just wonky. She will eat my spider plant she's taken quite a liking to this

I was glad to read your bunny was returning to her normal activities. If she has some residual tilt it may time her a little time to get used to her new center of balance. Did you ever convince the vet to add Panacur? Your vet may want to keep her on antibiotics for sufficient time to make sure all bacteria is gone.

Didn't do panacur in the end. Bailey is eating hay and pellets. Not as much as she used to but it's a big improvement! She does have a vet appt this afternoon and I don't know whether to take her and stress her out or not as she's now eating. I still force feed twice a day as she's lost weight so want to fatten her up a little and give her antibiotics but we have ran out of pain killers and gut stimulant (don't think she needs gut stimulants now as pooping and eating) not sure about painkillers and running low on stemetil which she likes. The antibiotics also say use for 7 days and today the 8th day so not sure what to do on that one. Can the vets do a phone consultation (I can always go down for meds just don't want to stress her out and she stops eating)

Didn't do panacur in the end. Bailey is eating hay and pellets. Not as much as she used to but it's a big improvement! She does have a vet appt this afternoon and I don't know whether to take her and stress her out or not as she's now eating. I still force feed twice a day as she's lost weight so want to fatten her up a little and give her antibiotics but we have ran out of pain killers and gut stimulant (don't think she needs gut stimulants now as pooping and eating) not sure about painkillers and running low on stemetil which she likes. The antibiotics also say use for 7 days and today the 8th day so not sure what to do on that one. Can the vets do a phone consultation (I can always go down for meds just don't want to stress her out and she stops eating)

Sorry not to have got back to you sooner - I've just read your PM :)

I've had to take a poorly bun to the vet but I will reply now.

I should ring your vet and relay the situation to them, and if they think it's appropriate they can give you more meds without taking her in. Might be an idea to have more Metacam on hand as well, given her situation.

The vets will speak to you on the phone if needed. We use Ashleigh vets :wave:

So I'm now torn what to do as at the end of the 7 days for antibiotics and appart from stemetil I'm out of everything else

Just spoke to Ashleigh vets the receptionist wasn't very helpful said bring her in for assessment

Ask to speak with a VET. The receptionist doesn't know and isn't authorised to say.

Say it's really important you speak with a vet this afternoon before the end of surgery x

I phoned back and was forceful told them I need to speak to vet not stressing rabbit out bringing her down unnecessarily and what do you know the vet called back 20 mins later! Another week of same dose antibiotics and then 2 more weeks doing every other day. Need to go down and pick up more antibiotics and pain meds tomorrow but won't cost much and more importantly bunny isn't going to be stressed! Result!

Great work! Though you shouldnt have had to deal with an unhelpful receptionist. Glad you were able to get more meds without having to stress the littke one.

I phoned back and was forceful told them I need to speak to vet not stressing rabbit out bringing her down unnecessarily and what do you know the vet called back 20 mins later! Another week of same dose antibiotics and then 2 more weeks doing every other day. Need to go down and pick up more antibiotics and pain meds tomorrow but won't cost much and more importantly bunny isn't going to be stressed! Result!

Fantastic, well done you :D

My vet will speak to me by phone and the vet may want to continue abx longer.

Carrying on with antibiotics. Baileys head is more upright but she's a bit less interested in pellets. Hope this changes soon

Carrying on with antibiotics. Baileys head is more upright but she's a bit less interested in pellets. Hope this changes soon

I am glad to hear her head is more upright:)

When they aren't feeling too good they can often go off food that they previously enjoyed.

Does she eat hay at the moment? Or fresh grass? Pellets are easier for a rabbit to eat because they are an up and down chomping motion. If she previously ate hay and doesn't so much now, it could be the grinding action necessary for the teeth is exacerbating any possible ear pain.

Today is the first day of not force feeding bailey and she got very excited to eat this morning! SO much so she fell over! Silly foofoo!! She's eaten pellets and hay and greens (is in love with radishes) and her poops are near enough normal size again. I've ran out of pain meds and vet said to continue with 1ml in morning and evening for 2 weeks (when I last spoke) so going to have to pick up some more as only 5 days on so a bit early to stop. Especially when she's eating herself I don't want anything to send her backwards

She's still on antibiotics and will be for another 2 and a half weeks and is still wonky. Noticing an improvement in her personality more than her wonky head. She's nearly back to her cheeky self always nosing around at what's going on. She can get around her head doesn't seem to stop that. Not seen her run yet just hop but miles better than 2 weeks ago!

Back