• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help! Neutered male acting like an intact male

ADunks

New Kit
Hi,

Looking for advice.

My 6 month old rabbit was neutered 10 weeks ago. He is still acting like an intact male. He sprays and is constantly trying to hump my doe in a sexual way, not a dominance thing. He circles her, sprays her, honks and tries to hump her from behind....

He also sprays me and my family members.

The problem is he is a free roaming house rabbit, with a bedroom for a base. He has ruined my carpets, my walls, my clothes and my furniture with his spraying. He is also stressing out my doe who is running away from him 24/7.

Any advice about what I can do about this? I can’t have this go on for much longer as he is costing me literally thousands of pounds in damage. I’m worried I might have to rehome him to an outdoor home but I am extremely reluctant to do this as I know the sad truth is most rabbits live terrible lives in which they are neglected and I don’t want this for him 😢

Thank you for any advice!

Is your doe spayed?
Others have more experience with this issue and may even offer suggestions for cleaning areas he sprayed so he does not continue his behavior.
I hope you can find a solution.

Regarding getting exited and spraying, my (intact) buck doesn't care any if the doe is spayed or not, and he is close to unbearable right now too, up to the point that I consider him getting neutered despite his Athrosis. On the other hand, it makes him move a lot, which is good for him, and this behaviour is somewhat seasonal, right now it's really bad. In his teenage months he was not a house rabbit and his spraying on a whole other level, with pee dripping off the roof of his hutch, barreling out of his hutch like a pee propelled rocket...., it got a lot better with time. His cuddlebun has enough space and hideouts in house and garden to get away from him if she feels like it though.

I think putting cardboard sheets along the walls and furniture, and waiting it out might work. I've read that the hormone change after neutering can actually cause a surge in this behaviour, although after 10 weeks things should have long leveld out. Might be worth to talk with the vet if there's a way to measure his hormone levels, if there is any chance that he missed a chunk of testicle at the surgery, if there could be the risk of him being still fertile - if your doe is spayed is of some relevance there.

Back