• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help needed - vets are stumped!

Thanks for the vibes. Still no poos...

Not sure how much longer we can go on like this - although she is still moving about and doesn't look especially bothered by it all. She hasn't had anything to eat since 1pm - I'm still trying to tempt her, but she isn't having it. She is having recovery food and tummy massages every hour.

I fear that I really am running out of options :cry::cry:

Please poo Phyllis

If anyone has any more suggestions, I'd be really grateful

Is she still having Vetergesic ? That can slow the guts down. It can also reduce the prokinetic effects of metoclopromide (emiprid)

Did the Vet mention anything about 'cecal imapction' ? If her cecum were to be impacted then aggressive fluids both subcutaneous and oral and an osmotic laxitive (Lactulose) could be beneficial. Has your Vet got access to Cisipride (prepulsid), a different type of prokinetic.

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00Chem/ChComplex/Cisapride.htm

She had vetergesic this morning before I brought her home. I have some Metacam to give her this evening.

The vet didn't mention cecal impaction (or at least not by that name).

I just wish she would poo, but it's been 3 days...

Thanks fellie

Phyllis has started eating a little again. Have no idea anymore if that is a promising sign...

Does anyone know how long rabbits can go without pooing?

Thanks fellie

Phyllis has started eating a little again. Have no idea anymore if that is a promising sign...

Does anyone know how long rabbits can go without pooing?
Eating on her own is a good sign. I have been a few days before somethingis produced.... (like to keep us on our toes) keep doing what you are doing and maybe suggest some of the other meds Jane has mentioned.

Eating on her own is a good sign. I have been a few days before somethingis produced.... (like to keep us on our toes) keep doing what you are doing and maybe suggest some of the other meds Jane has mentioned.

this.

i also always find jt helps to keep them moving, so nudging them around a room for s few mins can help make the poo appear.

hope she poops soon, she sounds in very capable hands :) :love:

Well we had seven poos at around 9pm last night, but only one overnight. But it's better than none!
However, she is very lively now. We're struggling to get hold of her for tummy massages now, as she is moving that quickly!

She has also been rearranging her bedding, so that's a good sign.

Just need more regular eating and pooing...

Will ring the vet later and see what she says.

Thanks for everyone's help- it has been much appreciated:thumb:

That sounds positive! Hopefully she's through the worst now and will be back to normal very soon.

Wonderful news. You must be relieved of this good start at last! Sending more pooping vibes your way x

Sent from my HUAWEI G510-0100 using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone. She still hasn't produced many poos but is still eating and still lively, so hopefully we are moving in the right direction.

Fingers crossed still...

Is she spayed?

This certainly is a rather odd thing to happen. Generally if they are not eating/pooing, a rabbit shows lots of signs of being in pain and not really wanting to move, but your bun seems pretty pain free and rather happy. :shock:

Sending poo vibes! Keep us updated. x

Is she spayed?

This certainly is a rather odd thing to happen. Generally if they are not eating/pooing, a rabbit shows lots of signs of being in pain and not really wanting to move, but your bun seems pretty pain free and rather happy. :shock:

Sending poo vibes! Keep us updated. x

Yes she was spayed around three years ago. Well, Phyllis always has been a law unto herself!

A couple but nothing major. However she is getting brighter all the time. She is fighting back much more whenever we try to pick her up:D

I am now worried again...

Phyllis is back at the vets, as although she is passing a few poos every 24 hours, it's obviously not enough. She also hasn't really eaten today and isn't moving around as much. She is still bright though.

The vet has spoken to a speciallist who advised against giving her Lactulose or a laxative, so our vet isn't willing to do so.

I'm just waiting to see what OH says, as he is the one at the vets with her - I'm stuck at work :-(

:(:(

I am now worried again...

Phyllis is back at the vets, as although she is passing a few poos every 24 hours, it's obviously not enough. She also hasn't really eaten today and isn't moving around as much. She is still bright though.

The vet has spoken to a speciallist who advised against giving her Lactulose or a laxative, so our vet isn't willing to do so.

I'm just waiting to see what OH says, as he is the one at the vets with her - I'm stuck at work :-(

:(:(

Sending lots of vibes her way. x

Sending lots of vibes her way. x

Thanks. Just been to see her. Yet again, she is bright and interested in her surroundings. To quote the nurse "she doesn't look like an ill rabbit".
However it will be a week tomorrow since she has pooed properly...

I have just given her a tummy massage for 45 minutes, so I'm hoping it works.:(

Back